• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
For those who can't see it, it's a bold purple and black effort with lemon yellow spots..... Only kidding :lol:

Shown as a side view, the base livery looks the same. There are the new Land's End Coaster fleetnames, an updated map showing the key points on the routes, whilst the lower panels lose the swoopy "rides along Cornwall's coast" in favour of some graphic (a microsite? or some link to the main FK?) prompting you to get more info/tickets etc

Looks a little tidier IMO, and more "on point" for the specific routes. Marc also mentions that the AC livery will continue to be on an increased number of O/Ts for the A4/A5.
I wonder what the future of the A17 is. It's always felt a bit of an uncomfortable fit in the brand.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I wonder what the future of the A17 is. It's always felt a bit of an uncomfortable fit in the brand.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. The A1-A5 seemed to be more tourist orientated, though not ignoring the definite local transport need. The A17 is more the opposite; a local bus service though I appreciate that it does have that seasonal uplift.

That's aside from the Solos that were, at least to me, a surprising choice for that service.

Guess it's another thing that will become apparent in due course.

MB162435

Established Member
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. The A1-A5 seemed to be more tourist orientated, though not ignoring the definite local transport need. The A17 is more the opposite; a local bus service though I appreciate that it does have that seasonal uplift.

That's aside from the Solos that were, at least to me, a surprising choice for that service.

Guess it's another thing that will become apparent in due course.
Certainly a perfect service for any spare E400 MMCs when they return, they would look amazing in AC livery although what you would do with the spare SRs then I'm not sure

Goldfish62

Established Member
We can speculate...and I'm sure there would be some chuckling by those "in the know". It might be no change with the A17 or total change.
Undoubtedly. :D

The A17 always seems to have been an uncomfortable fit. Even with a full PVR of Tridents painted in AC livery for this route there seemed to be little effort to allocate them. They seemed to operate out of Helston more than Penzance!

Than along came the Solos - initially intended to be the full PVR of five, then reduced to three, then reduced to nil during Summer months due to insufficient capacity.

Certainly a perfect service for any spare E400 MMCs when they return, they would look amazing in AC livery although what you would do with the spare SRs then I'm not sure
Agreed. With 30 E400MMCs due to return, even if the U2 and T1/T2 are restored to pre-Covid service levels there'll still be surplus to use elsewhere.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
The A17 is still the main service to St Ives from Penzance so will be on the radar of tourists

The open top service goes a long way round to reach St Ives via Marazion and the St Ives caravan park

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The A17 is still the main service to St Ives from Penzance so will be on the radar of tourists

The open top service goes a long way round to reach St Ives via Marazion and the St Ives caravan park
As I said, it does have that seasonal uplift but it is much more of a year round service than the other AC/LEC routes. To be fair, most routes are on the tourist radar in Cornwall!

TechDan2002

Reported on Twitter by Marc 37019 now joins 37173 in Dartmoor Explorer colours with another two to be painted

Also seen on Facebook Trident President 33175 has been collected by Geoff Ripley from Bridgwater for a one way trip up North!

fgwrich

Established Member
Reported on Twitter by Marc 37019 now joins 37173 in Dartmoor Explorer colours with another two to be painted

Also seen on Facebook Trident President 33175 has been collected by Geoff Ripley from Bridgwater for a one way trip up North!

Photos from MMH’s Twitter.

Attachments

• D23CD052-551E-451D-A979-24D31886A5E4.jpeg
    D23CD052-551E-451D-A979-24D31886A5E4.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 372DD2F2-E22E-47F6-9EF4-D6DE0C65501A.jpeg
    372DD2F2-E22E-47F6-9EF4-D6DE0C65501A.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 000BC2C2-01A2-4F69-8481-699E02824443.jpeg
    000BC2C2-01A2-4F69-8481-699E02824443.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 54

On the Buses

For those who can't see it, it's a bold purple and black effort with lemon yellow spots..... Only kidding :lol:

Shown as a side view, the base livery looks the same. There are the new Land's End Coaster fleetnames, an updated map showing the key points on the routes, whilst the lower panels lose the swoopy "rides along Cornwall's coast" in favour of some graphic (a microsite? or some link to the main FK?) prompting you to get more info/tickets etc

Looks a little tidier IMO, and more "on point" for the specific routes. Marc also mentions that the AC livery will continue to be on an increased number of O/Ts for the A4/A5.

AC will continue to be used for revised A4/5 only
The reference to more Coasters is to new and differentiated Coasters (eg Redruth Coaster)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Same here! Cant wait to see the superb sights Redruth has to offer, I wonder where the service will visit?
I think it should replace the 46 between 'druth and Camborne - a 50 minute expedition involving two Tescos, a loop around Illogan. What more can the discerning staycationer want?

Remember doing it once - never again!

TechDan2002

I think it should replace the 46 between 'druth and Camborne - a 50 minute expedition involving two Tescos, a loop around Illogan. What more can the discerning staycationer want?
Sounds excellent to me! Truly superb route to experience from the top deck of an open topper!

Goldfish62

Established Member

I suggest including Pengegon as well.

MB162435

Established Member

Could go via Portreath too, but maybe that's bit too scenic

We can speculate...and I'm sure there would be some chuckling by those "in the know". It might be no change with the A17 or total change.
Could imagine so but only in they already know, but time will tell certainly a good use for any spare E400 MMCs if any are available instead of spending all their time on college duties

83G/84D

Established Member
Is 32265 still coming to Kernow?

It would appear not as the word is it is unable to make the move from Sheffield. Details of the issues it has were not given. Given the current lockdown I don't think it will be too badly missed.
Perhaps by the time the current lockdown comes to an end (early March I believe) and more buses could be needed, there may be some more Gemini's in the county.

On the Buses

It would appear not as the word is it is unable to make the move from Sheffield. Details of the issues it has were not given. Given the current lockdown I don't think it will be too badly missed.
Perhaps by the time the current lockdown comes to an end (early March I believe) and more buses could be needed, there may be some more Gemini's in the county.
No it’s been rejected. There are no more interim deckers now due. We’re only expecting Geminis now.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Could go via Portreath too, but maybe that's bit too scenic
Exactly why I left it out!!
Could imagine so but only in they already know, but time will tell certainly a good use for any spare E400 MMCs if any are available instead of spending all their time on college duties
I'm sure that they'll be all too well aware of getting the required return on investment.

MB162435

Established Member
Exactly why I left it out!!

I'm sure that they'll be all too well aware of getting the required return on investment.
I would say the Hinckley work certainly helped towards that, probably won't need to do much to pay for themselves in Cornwall now, the 66 plates nothing at all

Goldfish62

Established Member
I would say the Hinckley work certainly helped towards that, probably won't need to do much to pay for themselves in Cornwall now, the 66 plates nothing at all
Few more years to go yet! First Group write off double decks over 15-17 years using straight-line depreciation.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Few more years to go yet! First Group write off double decks over 15-17 years using straight-line depreciation.

Ah right, at least they have a long term future in Cornwall then

Not necessarily. They could be moved anywhere in the Group at any time. That's of course not saying they will.
@Goldfish62 is correct. First Group policy is to depreciate vehicles on a 17 year, straight-line method (i.e. annual depreciation being (capital price less residual value)/17)) IIRC

There's no indication that they will go anywhere else but with Covid and CBSSG and long term impact on fleets, they will look to achieve the return on the investment.

MB162435

Established Member
Not necessarily. They could be moved anywhere in the Group at any time. That's of course not saying they will.
@Goldfish62 is correct. First Group policy is to depreciate vehicles on a 17 year, straight-line method (i.e. annual depreciation being (capital price less residual value)/17)) IIRC

There's no indication that they will go anywhere else but with Covid and CBSSG and long term impact on fleets, they will look to achieve the return on the investment.
They are apparently set to operate all public services once all of them return, so the chances of any of them moving to another division is extremely unlikely, certainly for a good while yet