• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TechDan2002

If I’m correct it’s not the fleet list that’s relevant to tracking but whether the bus is working a line that has a duty logged into the ticket machine.
That’s what I strongly suspect too. I’ve noticed the 231/2/3 Truro College buses start tracking dead from Truro depot around 07:20, presumably as soon as the drivers log into their ticket machines

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
As previously mooted the LEC (Land's End Coaster) is diverted via PZ Promenade to serve the Jubilee Pool. The stopping arrangements at the pool should be interesting! Not sure what I think about it missing out the town centre given its role as an important local bus service as well as a seasonal tourist service.
One of the problems with that diversion is the number of times that Ross Bridge gets closed, often with little or no warning. It's rarely to do with shipping access to the Dry Dock, or very high tides, more that Cornwall Council wishes to tinker with something, that often gets re-tinkered with the following week: keeps some in employment, i guess! If the bridge is closed, there is no way the Jubilee Pool can be served as there are no alternative roads suitable for full size buses. Westbound buses should have no problem stopping at Jubilee Pool, but for the life of me I can't see anywhere for eastbound buses. Perhaps we'll get a Greenmarket, Penzance situation, where the eastbound stop is known to drivers and regular passengers but has never existed in the form of an actual stop/timetables/bus stop markings on the road.

Goldfish62

Established Member
One of the problems with that diversion is the number of times that Ross Bridge gets closed, often with little or no warning. It's rarely to do with shipping access to the Dry Dock, or very high tides, more that Cornwall Council wishes to tinker with something, that often gets re-tinkered with the following week: keeps some in employment, i guess! If the bridge is closed, there is no way the Jubilee Pool can be served as there are no alternative roads suitable for full size buses. Westbound buses should have no problem stopping at Jubilee Pool, but for the life of me I can't see anywhere for eastbound buses. Perhaps we'll get a Greenmarket, Penzance situation, where the eastbound stop is known to drivers and regular passengers but has never existed in the form of an actual stop/timetables/bus stop markings on the road.
The Greenmarket "stop" amuses me. The most official unofficial stop I know!

A mitigation to buses no longer serving the town centre would be a pair of stops outside the Wharfside. Should be enough room.

CornwallBus

That’s what I strongly suspect too. I’ve noticed the 231/2/3 Truro College buses start tracking dead from Truro depot around 07:20, presumably as soon as the drivers log into their ticket machines
Yes, On The Buses is quite right, when the driver logs in, picks up the duty on the machine and then the route, thats when the vehicle will track. Hence the Cornwall College fleet and Schools etc not tracking as there is no duty in the machine for them.

Busgeek

Incorrect. Further cascades are anticipated to remove the Presidents. The five Darts need to be swapped initially for deckers too

If I’m correct it’s not the fleet list that’s relevant to tracking but whether the bus is working a line that has a duty logged into the ticket machine.
What is with the need and obsession for deckers in Cornwall? It's nice to see single deckers. They take less damage from the trees. And with low numbers are more viable surly? I noticed when the solos came down, nice addition, but to small for what they were on. The company got rid of the 53 plate darts, and replaced with solo. Would have been better to replace with the long E200 surly! They look the part to. Never mind, guess what the public think doesn't get taken into account really. Shame. Never the less. I hope they build back better, then start to bury the shambles of TfC

Goldfish62

Established Member
What is with the need and obsession for deckers in Cornwall? It's nice to see single deckers. They take less damage from the trees. And with low numbers are more viable surly?
Which routes which are currently double deck would you consider should be single deck?

carlberry

Established Member
What is with the need and obsession for deckers in Cornwall? It's nice to see single deckers. They take less damage from the trees. And with low numbers are more viable surly? I noticed when the solos came down, nice addition, but to small for what they were on. The company got rid of the 53 plate darts, and replaced with solo. Would have been better to replace with the long E200 surly! They look the part to. Never mind, guess what the public think doesn't get taken into account really. Shame. Never the less. I hope they build back better, then start to bury the shambles of TfC
The costs between single and double are not that different. As you say trees is an issue however long single decks have always been an issue in Cornwall. If the capacity is used on one journey a day (especially an issue with current rules which might be why the darts are being moved on) then a double deck is going to be more cost effective. Tfc will be around in much the same form until the first break point in the contract (4 years I believe, however I could be wrong). For any route that's trying to promote itself to tourists a double deck is always going to be a big plus point.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The costs between single and double are not that different. As you say trees is an issue however long single decks have always been an issue in Cornwall. If the capacity is used on one journey a day (especially an issue with current rules which might be why the darts are being moved on) then a double deck is going to be more cost effective. Tfc will be around in much the same form until the first break point in the contract (4 years I believe, however I could be wrong). For any route that's trying to promote itself to tourists a double deck is always going to be a big plus point.
Spot on.

Yes, four year break clause I believe.

With enhanced partnerships from next April the prospect of TfC/GCB and FSW battling it out on the roads of Cornwall in head-to-head competition is an even more remote proposition than it was before.

On the Buses

There’s no obsession. It’s purely where peak capacity is required.
The solos were bought pre tender changes. The requirement has subsequently changed. We have used for the Solos but not the Darts.
With respect I’d suggest we do know what we’re doing!

83G/84D

Established Member
The tree lopper was in action this morning at Bridge near Portreath. It then carried on in the direction of Redruth rather than Illogan.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Spot on.

Yes, four year break clause I believe.

With enhanced partnerships from next April the prospect of TfC/GCB and FSW battling it out on the roads of Cornwall in head-to-head competition is an even more remote proposition than it was before.
FWIW, long single deckers have always been relatively rare in Cornwall, given the nature of the roads. Back in NBC days, I think they were mainly on the 17 Penzance to St Just, and 27 St Austell to Bodmin, and 55 Bodmin to Padstow because they simply don't fit around Cornish roads either through ripping corners off them or grounding (and they were only 11m/11.3m long). That they have concentrated on having deckers makes a lot of sense. The 14/18 were converted to Tinners on a reduced headway and elsewhere, there's the need to have deckers for college work as well as those dedicated school runs plus those that also have major schools/college traffic.

As regards the Solos, I was personally a bit surprised when they arrived for the A17 but otherwise, I don't see many other major opportunities for long single deckers.

FSW has pursued a vehicle policy that has balanced the different requirements (schools/colleges/tourists/local) with the economics of the area/group requirements and dynamics etc. It's certainly better than it was when the dumping ground for First.

teggers419

There’s no obsession. It’s purely where peak capacity is required.
The solos were bought pre tender changes. The requirement has subsequently changed. We have used for the Solos but not the Darts.
With respect I’d suggest we do know what we’re doing!
If people ask the right people then the answers become so much clearer!! And respect to the people who are working their socks off to produce one of the biggest changes in recent history with the impending service enhancements and into territory not seen for years or before. The identity of First South West has definitely turned full circle. Very exciting times ahead!!

Goldfish62

Established Member
FWIW, long single deckers have always been relatively rare in Cornwall, given the nature of the roads. Back in NBC days, I think they were mainly on the 17 Penzance to St Just, and 27 St Austell to Bodmin, and 55 Bodmin to Padstow because they simply don't fit around Cornish roads either through ripping corners off them or grounding (and they were only 11m/11.3m long). That they have concentrated on having deckers makes a lot of sense. The 14/18 were converted to Tinners on a reduced headway and elsewhere, there's the need to have deckers for college work as well as those dedicated school runs plus those that also have major schools/college traffic.

As regards the Solos, I was personally a bit surprised when they arrived for the A17 but otherwise, I don't see many other major opportunities for long single deckers.

FSW has pursued a vehicle policy that has balanced the different requirements (schools/colleges/tourists/local) with the economics of the area/group requirements and dynamics etc. It's certainly better than it was when the dumping ground for First.
The St Just road was generally double decks until the significant influx of Leyland Nationals in January 1977 as part of the Cornwall OPO conversion.

The Nationals were to be found on services from Penzance to St Just, St Ives, Land's End, Gwavas and Truro, but were subsequently transferred elsewhere due to their length and replaced with double decks. A handful did reappear a few years later, but they and REs never did find favour in the far west due to their length.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The St Just road was generally double decks until the significant influx of Leyland Nationals in January 1977 as part of the Cornwall OPO conversion.

The Nationals were to be found on services from Penzance to St Just, St Ives, Land's End, Gwavas and Truro, but were subsequently transferred elsewhere due to their length and replaced with double decks. A handful did reappear a few years later, but they and REs never did find favour in the far west due to their length.
Seem to recall St Austell depot had a few Leyland Nationals; they might have been the same moved from Penzance with the Cornish Fairways MAP scheme and replaced by ex London DMSs? In fact, just made me think... aside from open toppers, once the President Tridents go, FK will have very few ex London deckers.

To be honest, an off-season need to move around large numbers of school kids, and a high season deluge of holidaymakers, has always seen Cornwall as being quite decker dominated. I don't know what the high-level mark was for open toppers but I suspect that was comfortably exceeded even before this year!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Seem to recall St Austell depot had a few Leyland Nationals; they might have been the same moved from Penzance with the Cornish Fairways MAP scheme and replaced by ex London DMSs? In fact, just made me think... aside from open toppers, once the President Tridents go, FK will have very few ex London deckers.

To be honest, an off-season need to move around large numbers of school kids, and a high season deluge of holidaymakers, has always seen Cornwall as being quite decker dominated. I don't know what the high-level mark was for open toppers but I suspect that was comfortably exceeded even before this year!
Yes, I think at least some of the Penzance Nationals moved to St Austell.

carlberry

Established Member

Yes, large numbers of Lodekkas were replaced by a load of ex Maidstone and District Atlanteans then the DMSs then second hand VRs (plus the minibus era of course) however it makes sense if you've got a few busy school journeys or expect to have loads of holidays makers for only a few weeks a year. In NBC days I think Western National only had a couple of open toppers outside of the Torbay area. There were various small single deckers (Bristol LS/MW/SU and Bedford VAM) however the services they were used on mostly disappeared by the 1980s

83G/84D

Established Member
Yes, I think at least some of the Penzance Nationals moved to St Austell.

The 18 ran to / from St Austell for a few years and was regularly worked by Leyland Nationals. Either before or after that period Truro to St Austell was service 32 and was also a regular Leyland National duty.

Back to 2021 - two Mousehole Solo's (53709 & 53704) are in Camborne.

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
The key point is single deck=limited to no view and so less tourist market which is the whole point of the new network. Also for minimal extra cost you have higher earning potential and capacity for colleges and schools so makes sense on every level.

Yarp1

Personally as a driver i would prefer it if FK only had deckers for a couple of reasons . I do realise that small buses have to be on some routes I.e the 24 fowey and m6 due to bridges and narrow tight roads and maybe some others I havent though of.
Reasons being that 1. For a few hours we could be driving a decker, then a small bus then a decker again.it can take a little while to adjust to with hight and length and turning but most drivers cope.
Reason 2. The morning and evening commuters can cause a bus to get busy but with a decker there is generally less concern that people cant get on especially the elderly or those with mobility issues or even those with their shopping trolleys!!
Another reason is if majority of the fleet is deckers they can be called upon during the day for any breakdowns or such. Sending a single decker out to a broken decker can cause problems.
It's less juggling for office staff if most vehicles are the same and also a large majority of tourist and even locals would rather sit on the top deck and enjoy the view

Lizard1324

Does anyone know if there will be a new version of the poppy or pride buses when the current ones depart?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Greenmarket "stop" amuses me. The most official unofficial stop I know!

A mitigation to buses no longer serving the town centre would be a pair of stops outside the Wharfside. Should be enough room.
As I drew my car into the kerb at Greenmarket this morning I was surprised to see a TfC stop flag had been discreetly added onto the nearest lamp standard by the HSBC cash machines. My powers of observation may not be what they were but I'd still swear that it wasn't there a fortnight ago. There was no attempt to attach a timetable frame, and certainly no road markings.

Not at all sure that Wharfside stops would really make much of a difference, unless that shopping centre once again acquires some shops, which not only is there no sign of but two of the few remaining are moving away into new premises- I understand the apartment dwellers there are only guaranteed that stairs and a lift service will remain, whereas the escalators might disappear. It isn't much further to get to the bus station from Market Jew Street than Wharfside stops would be, and once Iceland goes then their customers, who'd be the main potential gainers,disappear.

Lizard1324

As I drew my car into the kerb at Greenmarket this morning I was surprised to see a TfC stop flag had been discreetly added onto the nearest lamp standard by the HSBC cash machines. My powers of observation may not be what they were but I'd still swear that it wasn't there a fortnight ago. There was no attempt to attach a timetable frame, and certainly no road markings.

Not at all sure that Wharfside stops would really make much of a difference, unless that shopping centre once again acquires some shops, which not only is there no sign of but two of the few remaining are moving away into new premises- I understand the apartment dwellers there are only guaranteed that stairs and a lift service will remain, whereas the escalators might disappear. It isn't much further to get to the bus station from Market Jew Street than Wharfside stops would be, and once Iceland goes then their customers, who'd be the main potential gainers,disappear.
TfC took a lot of the First flags out of Porthleven and replaced them with theirs. Even now they only do one or two buses a day there.
They must have a shed full of First signs.

greengrey

Here's one I haven't seen for a while, 53040 at Tregurra Park & Ride this morning.

Attachments

• 133150.jpg
    133150.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58

Yarp1

Tfc took alot of the first flags out of porthleven and replaced it with theirs, even know they only do one or two buses a day there.
They must have a shed full on First signs.
I have noticed on several routes that First Kernow (FK) don't do any more (except for college runs), that FK flags are still up but no TfC flags!

I did notice that as soon as TfC came along they took down FK flags and put their own flags up on routes that FK still do.

vla50

I noticed 35011/12 are listed as withdrawn on the FSE fleetlist. Could these potentially be moved down to Kernow for tour bus contracts?