• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

vla50

Padstow park and ride has recommenced this weekend after 2 summers without operating.
Should hopefully get nice and busy when the weather improves towards the end of next week. 37014 does the honours as the first bus to operate it!

Do you know when the Eden Project Park & Ride will start by any chance, I’ve seen nothing about it but I’d assume at some point soon?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vla50

How many Geminis will be painted roughly in Somerset please? I believe you originally told me most of the pending deckers for there are only for the short term so they wouldn't be painted.
Might mean some of the ones due to cascade in from Cornwall (2 were mentioned to enter by Whitsun?) and 4 are expected from West Yorkshire so could be those.

On the Buses

How many Geminis will be painted roughly in Somerset please? I believe you originally told me most of the pending deckers for there are only for the short term so they wouldn't be painted.
As I wrote - ‘a couple’
Will all the B7TLs destined for Sunseeker receive paint? Or would it be staggered throughout
I thought that was clear. The three.

83G/84D

Established Member
Can anyone provide details of service levels for First Kernow over the coming Easter period (15th - 18th April)?

I cannot find anything on the website so is it normal services on each day?

Enviro 200 44076 was on the S2 service this morning before being replaced by a Solo but it didn’t appear at Hayle Towans all afternoon according to some relatives of mine who were waiting for it.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Can anyone provide details of service levels for First Kernow over the coming Easter period (15th - 18th April)?

I cannot find anything on the website so is it normal services on each day?

Enviro 200 44076 was on the S2 service this morning before being replaced by a Solo but it didn’t appear at Hayle Towans all afternoon according to some relatives of mine who were waiting for it.
I assume Sunday service on Good Friday and Easter Monday.

Looking at Bustimes the Solo only tracked at Hayle Towans on the last journey to Portreath.

83G/84D

Established Member
I assume Sunday service on Good Friday and Easter Monday.

Looking at Bustimes the Solo only tracked at Hayle Towans on the last journey to Portreath.

Thanks, yes I checked bustimes before posting although on the last journey it appears to have gone to Gwithian and then doubled back to Hayle Towans via Connor Downs. As far as I am aware it should serve the Towans first then Gwithian and onto Portreath.

Maybe a road closure up to the Towans that then reopened or a bit of confusion on someone’s part or another reason?

Last edited:

TechDan2002

Last edited:

buscoaster

First Hampshire and Dorsets latest acquisition from West of England E400 MMC 33968 has emerged from paint shop https://twitter.com/firstdorset/status/1514198266195456011?s=21&t=yLLrJJjtWPw84WGydDam5g

Interesting to note the application of First South West’s ‘Adventures by Bus’ brand onto this Jurassic Coaster liveried vehicle, as pointed out by @richw (hence the relevance to this thread)
Yes, very interesting. The X52 is of course an open top route that runs through the summer, calling at several local attractions on the way such as Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove, the Tank Museum and Monkey World. There is the Portland Coaster too that is run from Weymouth, so it will be interesting to see if this is added to the Adventures by Bus portfolio as well.

83G/84D

Established Member
Both of the Lizard branded open top Tridents are in Camborne at the moment along with defective Solo 53709.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A Lands End Coaster operated on the 19 yesterday, seen shortly after midday outside Lloyds Bank Penzance bus station bound.

Ancelljb

Are the Tin Coaster and 19 remaining crosslinked?
Yes, the Tin Coaster and 19 interwork with 2 open-tops (ideally, but likely will be closed top sometimes). The 17 operates on its own now, opposed to interworking with the others like before the service changes.

83G/84D

Established Member
A bit of a theme with me I know but I was pleased to see over the bank holiday weekend that the Lands End Coaster now calls again at St Erth railway station.

Go Cornwall/ TfC have taken over the station car park shuttle from First. An ex Kernow E200MMC was being used on Monday.

Goldfish62

Established Member
A bit of a theme with me I know but I was pleased to see over the bank holiday weekend that the Lands End Coaster now calls again at St Erth railway station.

Go Cornwall/ TfC have taken over the station car park shuttle from First. An ex Kernow E200MMC was being used on Monday.
Just need the T1 to call in now.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes it would save a long walk but I can’t see it happening.
On the face of it given the amount of layover incorporated in the lengthy cycle time for each bus there would appear to be sufficient to absorb the diversion without additional PVR, but then I don't know what how robust the schedules are in practice and that's likely to be the key.

richw

Veteran Member
On the face of it given the amount of layover incorporated in the lengthy cycle time for each bus there would appear to be sufficient to absorb the diversion without additional PVR, but then I don't know what how robust the schedules are in practice and that's likely to be the key.
Calling in adds around 4 mins to the timing (8 mins to a round trip)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
So long as the T1 doesn't use St Erth Station forecourt it both makes a mockery of Cornwall Council's claims of a 'transport hub' there and severely inconveniences the passengers who wish to board or alight in the area onto or from that bus route. Personally, I maintain that the T2 would need to call there too to justify the interchange claim in full, but I understand why that probably won't happen. I'm not, by the way, suggesting that First are culpable here.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Calling in adds around 4 mins to the timing (8 mins to a round trip)
Yes, that's what I estimated as the maximum additional running time, although going towards Penzance it's probably a minute less. There's 25 min scheduled layover at Penzance on each trip which *on the face of it* could be reduced. There's 11 min at Truro and 9 min at St Ives so no scope to reduce these without compromising reliability.

Yes, that's what I estimated as the maximum additional running time, although going towards Penzance it's probably a minute less. There's 25 min scheduled layover at Penzance on each trip which *on the face of it* could be reduced. There's 11 min at Truro and 9 min at St Ives so no scope to reduce these without compromising reliability.
Although looking at early morning, if my assumptions about the bus workings are correct the layovers at Penzance are much reduced, so maybe therein lies the problem.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Additional bus stops on the main road near the filling station would be a help but for whatever reasons that doesn’t appear to be something that is going to happen. Not sure if it is due to safety issues or other reasons as they were in place before the changes to the road layout.