• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Solo 53701 repaired and returned to service which enables at least some services to serve Mousehole Harbour. Scrap man removed Trident 32762 from Truro on Monday.
And Sprinter 54114 is off the road today. Hopefully just a scheduled PMI (Planned Maintenance Inspection) rather than yet another problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Solo 53701 repaired and returned to service which enables at least some services to serve Mousehole Harbour.
Complete with a recon gearbox supplied by Allison suggesting longetivity, but as it’s First it’ll probably be scrapped next week.

Citistar

Complete with a recon gearbox supplied by Allison suggesting longetivity, but as it’s First it’ll probably be scrapped next week.
(Apologies to non operational/maintenance staff - skip this comment)
They actually managed to get Mitchells to come and fit a gearbox?!? What witchcraft is this??

richw

Veteran Member
(Apologies to non operational/maintenance staff - skip this comment)
They actually managed to get Mitchells to come and fit a gearbox?!? What witchcraft is this??
Probably the threat of paying over the odds maybe in 3-4 months time if they’re lucky that did it

83G/84D

Established Member
Seems like an age since we had two Solos on the Mousehole, 53505 & 53701 come to the rescue today!

Snozzel

Not relevant to anything but i thought i would add a test print from the printer menu. Someone had time on their hands!

Attachments

• IMG_4876.jpeg
    IMG_4876.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 124

83G/84D

Established Member
Sprinter 54112 has returned to service in recent days after a period of inaction. Two of the type are now available for Mousehole services.

JD2168

Sprinter 54112 has returned to service in recent days after a period of inaction. Two of the type are now available for Mousehole services.
Given the issues that First are having with the Sprinters & Stagecoach are buying Diesel Solos again, it makes me wonder if the should have gone back to Switch/Optare for more Solos.

I still find it odd with the amount of issues that other operators with Sprinters seem to run them comfortably each day.

richw

Veteran Member
I still find it odd with the amount of issues that other operators with Sprinters seem to run them comfortably each day.
All of the big groups seem to have had difficulties nationally with sprinters. Yet independents seem to find them bullet proof. It’s very odd.

OptareOlympus

Seems the same regardless of the type. Small operators seem able to run 20 year B7TLs for months on end without problems but groups struggle to have them last a day without failing.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Given the issues that First are having with the Sprinters & Stagecoach are buying Diesel Solos again, it makes me wonder if the should have gone back to Switch/Optare for more Solos.
The order would have undoubtedly been for Solo SRs had they passed the route test conducted a few years ago, but they failed. A 7.9m white demonstrator was tested.

83G/84D

Established Member

I believe they have stopped producing new diesel buses. Sprinters were the only other buses available of the right size to negotiate the route to the harbour.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I believe they have stopped producing new diesel buses. Sprinters were the only other buses available of the right size to negotiate the route to the harbour.
They have just restarted production - Stagecoach have ordered 60 diesel Solos.

richw

Veteran Member
Hopefully this reopens the market to independents, who were effectively cast aside with Switch's premature move to exclusively EV.
An Independent somewhere had a small order prior to stagecoach. Forgotten who and exactly how many.

OptareOlympus

Surely FSW will now place an order for new Solos given production has restarted. The Stagecoach order is for 60 slimline versions, so you'd think they could also probably still build some puddle jumpers for Mousehole.

Citistar

Surely FSW will now place an order for new Solos given production has restarted. The Stagecoach order is for 60 slimline versions, so you'd think they could also probably still build some puddle jumpers for Mousehole.
As has been mentioned many times on this thread, a 7.9m Solo SR was route tested and found to be unsuitable. The last original shape ones were built circa 2012.