• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAIRA

56101 is WA13AMK a Mercedes Sitcar Beluga, which is based in the east of Cornwall for a new school contract

Somerset received BD65KAE previously MC65MEC at the same Time, not sure of that ones fleet number but it’s a MAN Mobi People Mini explorer
Many Thanks

iantherev

56101 is WA13AMK a Mercedes Sitcar Beluga, which is based in the east of Cornwall for a new school contract

Somerset received BD65KAE previously MC65MEC at the same Time, not sure of that ones fleet number but it’s a MAN Mobi People Mini explorer
That one is 29501.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I see Ensign are reported as selling on 32070/83/96 32261/84/85 in September for further use.
(Source=their non public disposals / acquisitions listing)

richw

Veteran Member
I see Ensign are reported as selling on 32070/83/96 32261/84/85 in September for further use.
(Source=their non public disposals / acquisitions listing)
All of their destinations have been commented on an enthusiast group on Facebook. I can’t remember what group now

Snow1964

Established Member
It seems that First Group South West has bought remaining shareholding of Somerset Passenger Solutions, so now owns SPS

SPS has a 156 vehicle fleet according to Regulatory announcements

FirstGroup plc ('FirstGroup') is pleased to announce that its wholly-owned
subsidiary, First South West Limited, has acquired the remaining 50%
shareholding in its Somerset Passenger Solutions Ltd ('SPS') joint venture. The
shares have been acquired from JJP Holdings (South West) Limited ('JJPH'),
giving FirstGroup control over the business going forward. The consideration,
being funded from FirstGroup's existing cash resources, is £8.4m, paid on
completion, with potential deferred consideration of up to £1.6m if certain
conditions are met.

SPS, which started in 2016 as a joint venture with 50/50 ownership between
First South West Limited, and Somerset-based JJPH, operates the contract to
provide transport for workers employed at the Hinkley Point C nuclear power
station near Bridgwater.

The company has grown in accordance with the increasing amount of work on site
and now employs around 450 people running a 156 vehicle-strong operation,
delivering shuttle services seven days a week to and from Hinkley Point C. The
business has annual revenues of approximately £37.0m. The purchase of the
remaining 50% of SPS shares forms part of the First Bus strategy to develop and
grow its share of the business-to-business services market.

The acquisition constitutes a Class 2 transaction pursuant to the UK Listing
Rules. For the purposes of the LR 10.4.1 R (Notification of class 2
transactions), as at 31 December 2020, the gross assets of SPS were £9.62m, and
the profits attributable to it were £3.95m.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldfish62

Established Member
For those who haven't heard, it was announced this morning that FSW has acquired the remaining 50% shareholding of Somerset Passenger Solutions from JJP Holdings.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
All three Mousehole Solo's were showing on bustimes as in service on the correct route today. Not a regular occurance from my albeit limited observations.

richw

Veteran Member
37183 is now at Summercourt to complete the 3 that we’re noted as swapping for the 3 E400s

Busgeek

Still a shame and quite frankly a downgrade that we have gone from having an E400 MMC on the U4 to having what ever breakdown fleet we have now. The ELC are so unreliable in the winter, and cold! Why cant first put 33301/2 back on the U4! We pay enough for bus tickets on this route.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Still a shame and quite frankly a downgrade that we have gone from having an E400 MMC on the U4 to having what ever breakdown fleet we have now. The ELC are so unreliable in the winter, and cold! Why cant first put 33301/2 back on the U4! We pay enough for bus tickets on this route.
No you don't, or at least, there aren't enough people paying enough money. You seem to think that the U4 is some highly lucrative route that can justify new fleet where clearly, the economics don't stack up.

vla50

I find it interesting that the 160 is operated with one of the short Optare Solos. Is there a width restriction somewhere en-route?

On the Buses

I find it interesting that the 160 is operated with one of the short Optare Solos. Is there a width restriction somewhere en-route?
It’s the third bus onto Mousehole that is free in the am peak and is of sufficient t capacity.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Roger French has been in Cornwall again with his latest blog and confirms rumours that I'd heard that the 27 was being cut back and doubled in frequency from 1st November:
So it’s interesting to hear First Kernow are not fighting over it and have registered a modified route 27 from the end of the month involving severing the link to Bodmin and only running between Truro and St Austell then continuing through Boscoppa and terminating at Carclaze, just to the north of St Austell, which in my observations is where the main passenger demand lies. And even more interesting FK are redeploying the saved resource from ceasing to run between Bodmin and Carclaze to double the shortened route’s frequency from hourly to half hourly.

Kieanh4

Roger French has been in Cornwall again with his latest blog and confirms rumours that I'd heard that the 27 was being cut back and doubled in frequency from 1st November:

It will interesting to see what go Cornwall will do with the 27 on Sundays/Evenings, whether they will continue running it to Bodmin or extend the 26/26A

CornwallBus

I take it there is still the 270 link bus as well for the College students from Bugle and Roche. Sort of makes sense if they sort the times from Probus & Truro to be in front of the 22/50/89

Goldfish62

Established Member
No you don't, or at least, there aren't enough people paying enough money. You seem to think that the U4 is some highly lucrative route that can justify new fleet where clearly, the economics don't stack up.
I thought it was more to do with needing to concentrate Euro VI fleet on routes that pass through Truro.

Busgeek

I thought it was more to do with needing to concentrate Euro VI fleet on routes that pass through Truro.
U4 doesn't serve Truro.

You have more info than the Commercial Manager? Interesting view…
A "Commercial manager" that doesn't see the people on the floor, that treating the location as a "personal project". Should we ask how it ended in his previous jobs?

I'm saying that the amount of people, especially in summer, make it viable. Not to mention the buses have paid themselves off. If it wasn't viable, why is it still a running route? Why did they place 33301/02 on the route previously?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
U4 doesn't serve Truro.

A "Commercial manager" that doesn't see the people on the floor, that treating the location as a "personal project". Should we ask how it ended in his previous jobs?

I'm saying that the amount of people, especially in summer, make it viable. Not to mention the buses have paid themselves off. If it wasn't viable, why is it still a running route? Why did they place 33301/02 on the route previously?
The vehicles will have paid themselves off in 3.5 years? Suspect not. Number of passengers is only part of the picture especially where ENCTS is concerned.

It is still a running route because they are using vehicles with a lower book value and lower depreciation. It was a surprise when 33301/2 went on there given the 2/U4 has not traditionally been a route that has benefitted from new vehicles.

As for MMH’s previous career, perhaps you’d like to elaborate though not certain why that affects the decision making process; after all, financial performance of FSW has changed a bit since the management changed in 2013.

Last edited:

vla50

U4 doesn't serve Truro.

I don't know much about the U4 but providing the buses on the route are up to an excellent spec and run reliably surely there should be no problems with the route?

From some of the pictures of the B7TLs posted here that were refurbed, they certainly look nice

Speedbird96

I don't know much about the U4 but providing the buses on the route are up to an excellent spec and run reliably surely there should be no problems with the route?

From some of the pictures of the B7TLs posted here that were refurbed, they certainly look nice
Having travelled to Cornwall over a month ago and been on 32688 working the U4, I can definitely say the Geminis and the Myllennium Lolynes that often work the route are in very good condition for their age, certainly better than quite a lot of other operators considering that Kernow received a lot of cast-offs from different regions.

For me, as long as the bus is well presented, clean, tidy and well-maintained then I have no problems.

richw

Veteran Member

For me, as long as the bus is well presented, clean, tidy and well-maintained then I have no problems

I believe all have now been redone internally except those that have arrived in the last week or two.
Ive always found the cleaning team do a good job the majority of the time.
The u4 is a reasonably short route compared to others that are Gemini worked. The 271 and 272 both being 40-50 miles each way spring to mind, both have strong reliability on quite demanding routes. Likewise Gemini’s are coping well with the Dartmoor Explorer across a very challenging route with the hilly nature of Dartmoor.
My experiences driving B7TLs are that they are very reliable buses when well maintained and evidenced by how well the recent disposals to Ensign have moved on quickly, and show a good demand for these types of buses