• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Murray J

It was nice to see former First 43906 (SK52 OKF) now converted to a camper in South Molton. Sounding great but was driving so couldnt get a pic
Glad to see it's gone on to a new home. Briefly operated in Sussex (my local area) with Crawley Luxury on rail replacements although I only saw it once and it doesn't appear that it was used much.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Having finally got around to looking at the First Kernow timetable from 31 October I see that on the Atlantic Coaster timetables there is a note on the bottom of the page that says “buses between Perranporth and St Ives will be back in Summer 2023”.

I hope this is just an error and that they return next summer?!

Also regarding the open top services, lately even in fair weather the L1 seems to be mostly closed top buses rather than open top whilst the Falmouth Coaster seems to be frequently an open top bus. Anyone able to shed any light on this?

It’s not a criticism by the way, just based on my observations!

Finally the winter network map still shows the Atlantic Coaster route between St Ives and Perranporth.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Having finally got around to looking at the First Kernow timetable from 31 October I see that on the Atlantic Coaster timetables there is a note on the bottom of the page that says “buses between Perranporth and St Ives will be back in Summer 2023”.

I hope this is just an error and that they return next summer?!

Also regarding the open top services, lately even in fair weather the L1 seems to be mostly closed top buses rather than open top whilst the Falmouth Coaster seems to be frequently an open top bus. Anyone able to shed any light on this?

It’s not a criticism by the way, just based on my observations!

Finally the winter network map still shows the Atlantic Coaster route between St Ives and Perranporth.
I suspect the bottom of the timetable note is a 'stop press' to the realisation that the St Ives to Perranporth route has been inadvertently left on the winter network map. I'm sure that 2023 is the sort of error made when someone's in a hurry!

vla50

If you don't mind me asking, does anyone know what will replace the White ALXs? Because the ELCs are noted as moving to Buses of Somerset, are more Geminis moving into Kernow perhaps?

If you don't mind me asking, does anyone know what will replace the White ALXs? Because the ELCs are noted as moving to Buses of Somerset, are more Geminis moving into Kernow perhaps?
@On the Buses said fairly recently 32759/763-8 will be going to Somerset in April from HDB.

I don’t believe Kernow’s ELCs are leaving as far as I’m aware.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yes they are. They're only temporary.
If you cast your mind back, it was stated that because of the length of time they’d been on loan, the ownership would pass to First. However, they are non-standard in many ways so they’ll be kept depending on ongoing or upcoming requirements. This has been mentioned many times.

Moreover, (and not directed at you, I stress) I’m struggling to understand the fascination about some white, ex London deckers. Not as if there haven’t been loads before.

richw

Veteran Member
If you cast your mind back, it was stated that because of the length of time they’d been on loan, the ownership would pass to First. However, they are non-standard in many ways so they’ll be kept depending on ongoing or upcoming requirements. This has been mentioned many times.

Moreover, (and not directed at you, I stress) I’m struggling to understand the fascination about some white, ex London deckers. Not as if there haven’t been loads before.
They seem popular with the local enthusiast community because they are different to anything else in Kernow. As you say non standard!

vla50

Absolutely no problem with using the ALXs I agree, especially the younger examples. They are quite similar to other Geminis/ELCs transferred in from other First provisions.

Goldfish62

Established Member

Yes, I know they've gone into First ownership. I could have sworn the plan was to move them on next year, depending on any unforseen additional vehicle requirements.

Personally I think they present a poor image and the sooner they go the better. Anonymous white with no identification apart from school bus signs and tired Arriva interior.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yes, I know they've gone into First ownership. I could have sworn the plan was to move them on next year, depending on any unforseen additional vehicle requirements
Which is what I saying. Depending on “events, dear boy, events”, they are expected to go next year.
Personally I think they present a poor image and the sooner they go the better. Anonymous white with no identification apart from school bus signs and tired Arriva interior.
As @On the Buses stated, they’re non standard and have been worked hard. Fine enough for the moment but should get offloaded when they can, dependant on their success or otherwise.

I can’t quite see the fascination. I know @richw is right but still - they’re not groundbreakingly non-standard. It’s not like they’re DB250s, or have dual doors, or some obscure bodywork or whatever. They’re just some dealer white ALX B7TLs and yet seem to generate disproportionate numbers of queries.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't think the bus has yet been invented that looks good in white, but some look even worse than others. particularly those missing a daily allover wash.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I can’t quite see the fascination. I know @richw is right but still - they’re not groundbreakingly non-standard. It’s not like they’re DB250s, or have dual doors, or some obscure bodywork or whatever. They’re just some dealer white ALX B7TLs and yet seem to generate disproportionate numbers of queries.
I know! :D

cnjb8

Established Member
Absolutely no problem with using the ALXs I agree, especially the younger examples. They are quite similar to other Geminis/ELCs transferred in from other First provisions.
As On The Buses mentioned a few pages back, they are ex-London so they aren’t the most ideal buses in the fleet

S.Jacket

Noted what looked like a First Wessex B7RLE with L plates circling the bus station at Truro this afternoon, only caught the end of the registration, TZC I think it was. Didn't see any fleet numbers to identify it. I assume this is a loan vehicle?

KendalKing

Established Member
Noted what looked like a First Wessex B7RLE with L plates circling the bus station at Truro this afternoon, only caught the end of the registration, TZC I think it was. Didn't see any fleet numbers to identify it. I assume this is a loan vehicle?
66941 which is registered WX55 TZC

CornwallBus

Dont think they are loan vehicles. I think they are the new Driver Trainers

Callum15632

Not a ex Wessex B7RLE it's ex First Bristol.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Oh right. Being from London myself I agree TBH, we certainly knacker some buses lol.
So many more buses in London see evening and Sunday service, not forgetting all-night jobs. No hanging round collecting fares either!

Goldfish62

Established Member
So many more buses in London see evening and Sunday service, not forgetting all-night jobs. No hanging round collecting fares either!
Buses are worked hard in London, with them typically being out in service for 18-20 hours a day, plus there's generally a low spares ratio of less than 10%. There very little cruising at constant speed - buses are either accelerating or braking. And then there's the highly variable driving standards...

Also the TfL vehicle spec places limits on noise and emissions so engines tend to be derated. There are few significant hills in London anyway.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There are few significant hills in London anyway.
That may be true of many parts of London, but not the South East, due South and due North areas in particular. Even a few of the declining number of routes in what I would call Central London traverse one or two significant inclines in the course of their journey.

Goldfish62

Established Member
That may be true of many parts of London, but not the South East, due South and due North areas in particular. Even a few of the declining number of routes in what I would call Central London traverse one or two significant inclines in the course of their journey.
That's why I said "few". :D

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That's why I said "few". :D
I realise that, but it'll depend on a bus's operating history and territory to an extent how 'knackered' it is before leaving London (to use a technical term :).) It's a great shame how the standard of London bus driving is so variable now, another factor as you say, but outside the scope of this thread.