• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

MB162435

Established Member
Interesting that the Dartmoor Explorer is going to use Exeter Bus Station, no one other than Stagecoach have been allowed to use it so far
That place seems busy enough as it is, always queues waiting for a stand and even when they get one it's often not even close to the right one, so should be fun for Dartmoor passengers

Yesterday for example I was catching the X38 to Plymouth, meant to be stand 4 ended up being stand 12

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Summers510

That place seems busy enough as it is, always queues waiting for a stand and even when they get one it's often not even close to the right one, so should be fun for Dartmoor passengers

Yesterday for example I was catching the X38 to Plymouth, meant to be stand 4 ended up being stand 12
your right it is a shambles, buses are supposed to drop off and if not straight out, park in either the layover bays or on Verney Street, but in reality they just dump them

On the Buses

Quite! We won't ask how much they've clobbered you for.
It’ll be publicly available. The charge is calculated on the basis of the proportion of the costs of providing and running the bus station in respect of the number of presentations. It was a principle set during bus deregulation by the the Monopolies and Mergers Commission.
There is no element of the owning or managing operator ‘clobbering’ us.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I was surprised to read on the latest First fleet update the MAN coach 29501 had left the fleet.
Also 32765 is shown as disposed of. I hadn’t seen any reference to this one having issues but perhaps the bus had major mechanical faults.

Stephen1001

There isn’t a Kelly bray outstation anymore. A new larger outstation has opened in Callington itself. Photo attached of new outstation.
Sure I'm not the only one whose eye was drawn to one vehicle in particular in this image. Is that a Plaxton Supreme body?

hst43102

I was surprised to read on the latest First fleet update the MAN coach 29501 had left the fleet.
Also 32765 is shown as disposed of. I hadn’t seen any reference to this one having issues but perhaps the bus had major mechanical faults.
Where can I find this fleet update? Thanks

TechDan2002

Can only assume terminal failure myself. I’ve noticed it made a week in service in January. I wonder if/when 32764 and 32768 will enter service in Somerset.

jammy36

Sure I'm not the only one whose eye was drawn to one vehicle in particular in this image. Is that a Plaxton Supreme body?
The Supreme is ODL525X - belongs to Marc Morgan-Huws - a very fine Bedford YNT / Plaxton Supreme IV (?GT).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
So does this mean the Lolynes and Geminis up there will only be short terms?
Isn’t that what the man said?

As for @MB162435, give the man a chance. You're asking about what's replacing vehicles that haven't actually arrived yet in some cases. Also, short term might mean 12 months or so - long enough away that actual plans may not be made let alone finalised.

Last edited:

RELL6L

There isn’t a Kelly bray outstation anymore. A new larger outstation has opened in Callington itself. Photo attached of new outstation.

I don’t know the plans but Gunnislake is very close and on route to Tavistock from Duchy college. We already know that Dartmoor runs off duchy college services. A train arrives at gunnislake about 0915-0920 from memory, which would fit to the dead run from Duchy to Tavistock, so could be a workable addition.
I recall suggesting something along these lines before given that the Dartmoor Explorer which started at Tavistock last summer came empty from Duchy College anyway. I would have thought the train to Gunnislake connecting with the bus there would make a better scenic day out - great views of the Tamar Estuary and then the Calstock viaduct - than a boring(ish) haul out of Plymouth following the route of the Stagecoach 1. And if the bus and train operator (remind me, who is the train operator....) could organise connections from the train arrival at 09.11 and departure at 15.19 with through ticketing as a package - excellent idea!

fgwrich

Established Member
I recall suggesting something along these lines before given that the Dartmoor Explorer which started at Tavistock last summer came empty from Duchy College anyway. I would have thought the train to Gunnislake connecting with the bus there would make a better scenic day out - great views of the Tamar Estuary and then the Calstock viaduct - than a boring(ish) haul out of Plymouth following the route of the Stagecoach 1. And if the bus and train operator (remind me, who is the train operator....) could organise connections from the train arrival at 09.11 and departure at 15.19 with through ticketing as a package - excellent idea!
First Group’s GWR, who can show to work with bus companies to create new connections in the south west eg; Totnes for the South Hams and Okehampton for Dartmoor.

RELL6L

First Group’s GWR, who can show to work with bus companies to create new connections in the south west eg; Totnes for the South Hams and Okehampton for Dartmoor.
Absolutely. If this is the plan, with a combined ticket, then I think it could be excellent. And unlike the other two examples it is with First Bus.

Murray J

Can only assume terminal failure myself. I’ve noticed it made a week in service in January. I wonder if/when 32764 and 32768 will enter service in Somerset.
32766 is still in daily service with First Hants and Dorset so not sure when or if that's transferring.

Last edited:

Ancelljb

32764 is still in daily service with FHD so not sure when or if that's transferring.
I expect it will transfer once something has arrived to displace it. I believe the turquoise vehicles in Bristol for route 5 are transferring to Solent in due course, so I expect at that point 32764 will transfer to Somerset.

Murray J

I expect it will transfer once something has arrived to displace it. I believe the turquoise vehicles in Bristol for route 5 are transferring to Solent in due course, so I expect at that point 32764 will transfer to Somerset.
I know there's some sort of vehicle transfer going on there, can't quite remember what it is but it'll probably transfer then yeah.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes, there's good people there who understand the importance of public transport integration.

vla50

So of the white ones only 32127 and 128 left in service now I believe.
I wonder if others will follow to Ensign?
I'd assume so - perhaps when the B9s come down from Ensign for the Lands End Coaster they might be swapped (ie a B9 comes down to FSW, and then a B7 is then towed up to Ensign on the same truck?)