• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brooke

I got an update email about Kerdroya earlier today. Nice to see First Kernow have been supporting by providing buses for shelter (as well as the bus in sponsor livery). Another example of them building goodwill.

Mods: I can’t link to a CRM email obviously, but there’s at least a quote from Marc Morgan-Hews at this link https://goldentree.org.uk/collaborators/

Also 37317 and 37319 from Bristol are on there and they’re both out on service today according to bustimes. There’s also YJ58 B9s that are out in service, so it’s safe to say that someone’s completely wrong.

Last edited:

Have there been any more Coast to a Coast or Lands End Coasters branded lately? I can only think of 33472, 33473 and 33478 for Coast to Coast and 37795 and 37801 for Lands End.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Have there been any more Coast to a Coast or Lands End Coasters branded lately? I can only think of 33472, 33473 and 33478 for Coast to Coast and 37795 and 37801 for Lands End.
I was going to ask the same question.

Accelerator59

I looked back a bit further. 37584 was badly damaged by a fire in the engine compartment June 2020 at Chickerell near Weymouth whilst working an X53.
I did wonder what happened to it. Thanks for that.
I think someone's overactive imagination has been at play.

View attachment 121007
Wowzers! Definitely a bit ambitious with the 65 plate MMCs there.
Also 37317 and 37319 from Bristol are on there and they’re both out on service today according to bustimes. There’s also YJ58 B9s that are out in service, so it’s safe to say that someone’s completely wrong.
Unless they’re maybe in the pipeline and someone was over-excited :lol:

Callum15632

Is 20360 actually working the 91 today and was it actually on the U1/U1A yesterday and last week or is this a ticket machine swap?

On another post it was stated that Callington outstation now has 10 vehicles allocated. Does anyone know please what these 10 are allocated to. Assume one is for Truro College, one for Duchy College and a couple of school contracts for Callington Community College. But what about the rest? And is the one vehicle at Stoke Climsland still there or has it moved into Callington now? Thanks….

richw

Veteran Member
On another post it was stated that Callington outstation now has 10 vehicles allocated. Does anyone know please what these 10 are allocated to. Assume one is for Truro College, one for Duchy College and a couple of school contracts for Callington Community College. But what about the rest? And is the one vehicle at Stoke Climsland still there or has it moved into Callington now? Thanks….
3 Truro college, 271, 272, 890. (?, 32689, 33307)
2 Duchy college (20805, 20808)
3 callington school (53862, 56101, ?)
1 st Austell college. (37014)
1 operational spare (53254)
Numbers in brackets represent the vehicle that worked back to yard this afternoon.
However 2 of these are temporarily being covered by Bodmin outstation due to staffing.

3 Truro college, 271, 272, 890. (?, 32689, 33307)
2 Duchy college (20805, 20808)
3 callington school (53862, 56101, ?)
1 st Austell college. (37014)
1 operational spare (53254)
Numbers in brackets represent the vehicle that worked back to yard this afternoon.
However 2 of these are temporarily being covered by Bodmin outstation due to staffing.
Going on bustimes, 37183 did the 271 and went back to Bodmin after

Yea that’s one of the runs Bodmin covered today. They also covered Landrake to Callington school
Oh right, it’s good that things like that can occur. Very handy in these difficult times for driver availability.

Thanks for the Callington outstation information, very interesting. One final question - does anyone know if there is still a vehicle outstationed at Stoke Climsland for a Duchy College contract?

tjwpsv

Is the Exmoor Coaster still running to its summer times, please? Hoping to do an open top blast on it on Saturday but as I've a 3 hr drive to reach the route, I'd rather not discover the frequency has been reduced when I get there!

-Colly405-

Ryan H

Is the Exmoor Coaster still running to its summer times, please? Hoping to do an open top blast on it on Saturday but as I've a 3 hr drive to reach the route, I'd rather not discover the frequency has been reduced when I get there!
Exmoor Coaster summer times are still operating and finish at the end of October.

Last edited by a moderator:

CD

One week until the strike involving First South West, both Somerset and Cornwall.

20 September 2022

RMT Press Office:

Railway workers on Network Rail and 14 train operating companies will take strike action on October 1st in a row over job security, pay and working conditions.

The 24-hour action which will bring the railway to an effective standstill, comes after the union received no further offers from the rail industry to help come to a negotiated settlement.

In separate disputes, Arriva Rail London members, Hull Trains and bus workers at First Group Southwest will also take strike action on October 1st.

With workers struggling to cope with the escalating cost of living crisis, October 1st is set to see strikes by a number of unions in various industries.

RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said: “Transport workers are joining a wave of strike action on October 1st, sending a clear message to the government and employers that working people will not accept continued attacks on pay and working conditions at a time when big business profits are at an all-time high.

”The Summer of Solidarity we have seen will continue into the Autumn and Winter if employers and the government continue to refuse workers reasonable demands.

“We want a settlement to these disputes where our members and their families can get a square deal. And we will not rest until we get a satisfactory outcome.”

END

Notes:

The national rail dispute will see strike action on:

Network Rail

Chiltern Railways
Cross Country Trains
Greater Anglia,
LNER,
East Midlands Railway,
c2c,
Great Western
Railway,Northern Trains,
South Eastern
South Western
RailwayTranspennine Express,
Avanti West Coast,
West Midlands Trains
GTR (including Gatwick Express

There are also separate strikes on October 1st involving:

First Bus South West (Somerset)

First Bus South West (Kernow Cornwall)

Arriva Rail London

Carlisle Support Services (Revenue Security Officers on the Arriva Rail London contract)

Hull Trains

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
One week until the strike involving First South West, both Somerset and Cornwall.
no longer Going ahead at First South west on 1 October

Dear Colleague

RATES OF PAY AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE 2022 - FIRST SOUTH WEST

Further to my letter dated 16th September 2022 and following consultation with you and your Representatives, the National Executive Committee has considered this matter and taken the decision to cancel the strike action on Saturday 1st October. Please book on for your shifts and work as normal on Saturday 1st October.

Last edited:

E-Rail

Are breaks unpaid for Kernow drivers? From looking at the adverts, it seems the hourly rate is only £11.00 which seems really low unless duties are paid through.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Are breaks unpaid for Kernow drivers? From looking at the adverts, it seems the hourly rate is only £11.00 which seems really low unless duties are paid through.
Partially. There’s an unpaid maximum time after which the remainder becomes paid. Also if your break is in a location without minimum facilities it’s paid through

E-Rail

Partially. There’s an unpaid maximum time after which the remainder becomes paid. Also if your break is in a location without minimum facilities it’s paid through

Thanks for that.

Do you know if 32102-4 will see use next summer as Sunseekers or are all the 2017 B7TL conversions planned for withdrawal before then?