• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

B7RLE

Sudden thought, is this year's new Helston-Praa Sands-Penzance First U4 open-top service running as I've not seen any reports?
Yes it is, though it's not open top due to trees if you look at bustimes.org, after 10 each day you'll note 5 buses on line .

And the fact that some of the cuts appear to have been last minute decisions given that buses were still being repainted in Lizard livery and two more than needed yellow open toppers were delivered just as the cuts were announced all suggests some hasty re-evaluation of the network. This all coincided with the the new management structure getting up and running.
Wasn't one yellow open topper for the Summer U4 uplift & the other a spare for that and the Sunseeker Service? Though due to Trees the U4 will remain closed for now.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Wasn't one yellow open topper for the summer U4 uplift & the other a spare for that and the Sunseeker Service? Though due to Trees the U4 will remain closed for now.
It would seem extravagant in the extreme to convert a bus to open top just to act a a spare for a 1 PVR service that only runs for half the year.

As for the U4 bus, I'd have expected that to be sourced from the overall pool of open toppers which has 2-3 spares, rather than spend money on a dedicated open top conversion.

Peter Philips

Yes it is, though it's not open top due to trees if you look at bustimes.org, after 10 each day you'll note 5 buses on line .

Wasn't one yellow open topper for the Summer U4 uplift & the other a spare for that and the Sunseeker Service? Though due to Trees the U4 will remain closed for now.
So another service impacted by the lack of tree cutting. That's what I had guessed re the newer yellow open toppers you mention.

B7RLE

It would seem extravagant in the extreme to convert a bus to open top just to act a a spare for a 1 PVR service that only runs for half the year.

As for the U4 bus, I'd have expected that to be sourced from the overall pool of open toppers which has 2-3 spares, rather than spend money on a dedicated open top conversion.
The yellow ones are in the current & future pool of spare open toppers. How much longer do you think the Presidents will be about ?

So another service impacted by the lack of tree cutting. That's what I had guessed re the newer yellow open toppers you mention.
Yes we were told Locally at Helston it would be yellow but didn't say what branding etc .

Last edited by a moderator:

nanstallon

I'm not that bothered about branding; more about the advertised service being provided. Yesterday, I waited outside Truro railway station for the 17.04 U1 service to Falmouth. It didn't turn up, nor the 17.34, and a lady also waiting there had been waiting for the 16.34. So, three buses in a row didn't run.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes we were told Locally at Helston it would be yellow but didn't say what branding etc .
Thanks!

I'm not that bothered about branding; more about the advertised service being provided. Yesterday, I waited outside Truro railway station for the 17.04 U1 service to Falmouth. It didn't turn up, nor the 17.34, and a lady also waiting there had been waiting for the 16.34. So, three buses in a row didn't run.
Your bus turning up when it's meant to is the absolute bare minimum requirement. Nothing else matters without it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The touristy stuff that’s being done right is the bread and butter these days.
Lands end, summer Atlantic coaster, and exmoor coaster are without doubt the busiest services.
The T1/2 and U1 are probably the only regular services that carry good numbers.
Surely the 17 and U4 too, the latter on the Helston to Penzance core anyway? Reduced as it has been to an hourly service and with Marazion so poorly served buswise, especially out of season, I regularly see rammed doubledecks on the U4 coming into Penzance in the afternoon, none of it school/college students.

M803UYA

The touristy stuff that’s being done right is the bread and butter these days.
Lands end, summer Atlantic coaster, and exmoor coaster are without doubt the busiest services.
The T1/2 and U1 are probably the only regular services that carry good numbers.
This doesn't come as a surprise to me - historically T1/2 were the best routes in the company, regularly receiving new vehicles every few years. As with the 376 in West of England, it'll be allowed to stagnate and revert to how bad things used to be where they were the respite home for FirstGroup and the final stop for buses before the scrapyard.

As a whole, the other services would be marginally profitable, which is why you'd need an unbranded pool of buses to run the services. I'd be surprised (but happy to be proved wrong) if Exmoor is doing well, there are regular cancellations on the route along with 21 and 28s from Taunton (those, along with 22 would be Somerset's 'best' bus routes)

Andyh82

Established Member
People love a negative discussion on here don’t they. We’ve gone from single decks on the Dartmoor Explorer to writing off the entire operation. Nothing is profitable, everything will be withdrawn. I’m surprised someone hasn’t suggested the operation should be sold.

Always the same here, the very slight hint of a negative thought and threads come alive

fgwrich

Established Member
In a word - no.

Talk about jumping to completely wrong conclusion

Have you read the recent posts saying they can’t use double deckers because of low trees?

Well, I await your insights with signs of positivity then. Of course I've read the posts about low trees affecting the route, but we've seen low trees across the south west before and Kernow used to send out it's tree lopper Olympian out to clear them - indeed they've previously done that for both Dartmoor Explorer and Exmoor Coaster routes. This year they haven't, even leaving the U4 to become closed top decker only. The below post highlights how much we've seen cut back over the last year - quite a rapid cut back to the Kernow network of only a few years ago. You seem to make it out as if I and others want Kernow to fail, we don't. It's disappointing that some routes haven't worked out, but it's quite sad to see others drastically cut back. And if First are intending to keep the Dartmoor Explorer alive, even with Single Decks, why has it disappeared from pretty much everywhere? It's hard to see how a route like that can survive if the publicity / website and timetabling information has all been wiped out!

Probably already happened off the top of my head with the Lizard L1 downgraded to just a college route and associated Truro L3 & St Ives L5 withdrawn, Portreath-Newquay S1 withdrawn, Eden Project rail link 27 extension withdrawn, Dartmoor Explorer/Falmouth Coaster/Atlantic Coaster (originally longer St Ives-Padstow through route) all becoming just seasonal and the Land's End Coaster hourly uplifts withdrawn in April/May/September/October. Going further back to before the new management the original Newquay local Sunseekers S1/2/3 (serving Pentire Head etc), Discover Exeter City Tour and various Day Tripper routes were also withdrawn. The new Exmoor Coaster is a success but will tress also become an issue if First doesn't cut them any more as they are already bad in places?

GBM

From what I've heard from drivers, First are not permitted to tree chop anymore.
They have to report every branch to the Council who will attend.
Tree lopping is at the bottom of the Council's priority list, so may, or may not, get done.

However, it's good to blame First for not cutting branches!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
From what I've heard from drivers, First are not permitted to tree chop anymore.
They have to report every branch to the Council who will attend.
Tree lopping is at the bottom of the Council's priority list, so may, or may not, get done.

However, it's good to blame First for not cutting branches!
Putting my cynic's hat on, the next move will be said council putting treelopping out to tender and the contract being won ar a cost of £999,000 by a friend of a prominent councillor who happens to be a pub landlord. As Private Eye used to say, trebles all round!

Rodent48

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/cornwall/news-and-service-updates
From 24th July, due to the ongoing roadworks on the A30 we have taken the difficult decision to split the U1/U1A service at Truro.

The reason we are doing this is to maintain the reliability of these services, while we have additional summer traffic and the ongoing roadworks on the A30, we have agreed a timetable with Cornwall council that will have a minimal impact for most customers.

The services will be split Monday to Saturday daytime when we are experiencing most delays. At quieter times buses will continue to operate through as they do now.

Departures from Falmouth, Truro and Newquay remain at the same published times in the current timetable books, but daytime services running between Truro & Newquay in both directions will arrive at the next stop after crossing the works at Chiverton up to 10 minutes later than is currently advertised.

We will endeavour to allow connections from services from Falmouth to Truro to allow passengers to get to the hospital as an example on the departing U1/U1A, but through fares will be available to any available service to allow the customer journey to continue.

Services arriving from Newquay passengers will need to change for the next departure towards Falmouth.

It's interesting to see that the U1/U1A will be split at Truro from the 24th July because of Chivvy roadworks. Hopefully it will assist with the frequent bunching of buses, particularly between Perranporth and Newquay, because of earlier accumulated delays.

GBM

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/cornwall/news-and-service-updates

It's interesting to see that the U1/U1A will be split at Truro from the 24th July because of Chivvy roadworks. Hopefully it will assist with the frequent bunching of buses, particularly between Perranporth and Newquay, because of earlier accumulated delays.
Not only Chivvy, but traffic in and around Newquay (plus occasionally around Falmouth as well).
It used to be two runs, then become a continuous run. Always ran late, so was split again.
New management in and it went back to one run. Of course it didn't work (it never did).
They were advised it wouldn't work, but insisted it was what passengers wanted.
It ran very late, so now reverting again to a split run.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not only Chivvy, but traffic in and around Newquay (plus occasionally around Falmouth as well).
It used to be two runs, then become a continuous run. Always ran late, so was split again.
New management in and it went back to one run. Of course it didn't work (it never did).
They were advised it wouldn't work, but insisted it was what passengers wanted.
It ran very late, so now reverting again to a split run.
Doesn't compare to the Penzance to Eden Project via Falmouth route they had one year back around the turn of the century(?)!One and a half hours late at Helston one time!

farwest

U1 is very busy across Truro giving the whole of the Falmouth and Penryn area a direct service to the college and the hospital. It has only got very unreliable with the road works at Goonhavern and the ongoing A30 works at Chiverton. I do hope it reverts to a coast to coast route when the road works are complete.
I saw a 'Unique' vehicle being dragged out of Truro this morning, looked in a sorry state.

83G/84D

Established Member
U1 is very busy across Truro giving the whole of the Falmouth and Penryn area a direct service to the college and the hospital. It has only got very unreliable with the road works at Goonhavern and the ongoing A30 works at Chiverton. I do hope it reverts to a coast to coast route when the road works are complete.
I saw a 'Unique' vehicle being dragged out of Truro this morning, looked in a sorry state.

37185 was the Gemini being taken away for scrapping, it was involved in a collision near Goldsithney whilst on a U4 a while back. Trident 32762 also departed so I understand. Probably also for scrap as it was withdrawn due to engine issues. Hope that is of help @farwest.

Callum15632

37185 was the Gemini being taken away for scrapping, it was involved in a collision near Goldsithney whilst on a U4 a while back. Trident 32762 also departed so I understand. Probably also for scrap as it was withdrawn due to engine issues. Hope that is of help @farwest.
Do you mean 37183 SF07 FDU as 37185 is out today?

LAIRA

Very limited service today on The Dart. 47414 has arrived in Plymouth on the morning journey from Exeter and will return on the last afternoon journey. All other journeys cancelled due to the lack of a driver. 11 people arrived in Plymouth on the trip that ran.

Peter Philips

Don't think it will be running at all by August
Last day brought forward to Saturday 26 August according to GOV.UK bus registration site.

Very limited service today on The Dart. 47414 has arrived in Plymouth on the morning journey from Exeter and will return on the last afternoon journey. All other journeys cancelled due to the lack of a driver. 11 people arrived in Plymouth on the trip that ran.
A positive is its destination screen showing Dartmoor Explorer not Driver Training or Not in Service as before! It was indeed seen on the 1525 return from Plymouth with some passengers after the earlier services were cancelled.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Three of the Mousehole Sprinters have been spotted heading west on the a30 an hour or so back at Okehampton…

CD

Changes to bus services in Somerset from 3rd September 2023.
Full timetable details will be made available in due course.

Services 1 & 1e Taunton – Priorswood

Some journeys will be withdrawn after 1600 on Mondays to Fridays and before 0900 and after 1530 on Saturdays.

Services 6 & 7 Taunton Town Services

Some journeys will be withdrawn before 0900 on Saturdays.

Services 14 & 15 Bridgwater – Cannington – Minehead

Minor Changes to the timetable will be made with buses on service 14 running slightly earlier during the day. Services will be operated from Minehead and Taunton depots.

Services 21 & 21a Taunton – Bridgwater – Burnham on Sea

A revised timetable will be introduced. On Saturdays the frequency will be every 35-45 minutes. These services will be operated from Taunton depot.

Services 22, 22a & X22 Taunton – Wellington – Tiverton

A revised timetable will be introduced. This will include extra journeys on service X22 to Tiverton.

Service 28 Taunton – Minehead

A new Sunday timetable will be introduced to improve punctuality.

Service 29 Taunton – Wells

Some journeys will be withdrawn. Most of the service will be operated from Wells depot.

Service 51 Yeovil Town Service

A new timetable will be introduced with buses running every 45 minutes before 0900 Mondays to Fridays and all-day Saturdays.

Service 58 & 58a Yeovil – Wincanton

The 1830 departure from Yeovil will operate at 1845.

Service 75 Bridgwater – Wells

Some changes will be made to the timetable with some early morning journeys withdrawn. This service will transfer to Wells depot.

Services 623 & 625 Wellington – Taunton – Bridgwater College

Minor Changes to the timetable and this service will be operated by Taunton depot.

Service B1 Bridgwater Town Service

On Saturdays after 1435 journeys will be withdrawn. This service will be operated from Minehead & Taunton depots.

School Services

The following services will no longer be operated by First:

10, C062, C307, C379.

The following service will continue as normal be operate from Taunton:

BC06

The following services will continue to operate as normal but transfer to West of England:

611, 612, 613.
Bridgwater depot to close 3rd September.

Last edited by a moderator: