• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
And Sprinter 54112 is off the road due to drinking oil I'm told, while 54111 is still in Wales awaiting a replacement gearbox.
How long before there's a double decker on the Mousehole again? I'd like to see an open topper.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dartmoor Explorer liveried decker sat down on Callington Rd, Tavistock this a.m. causing traffic mayhem with HGVs unable to get past due to parked cars. Didn't get the number, but a sorry end to the whole fiasco of this summer.

richw

Veteran Member
Dartmoor Explorer liveried decker sat down on Callington Rd, Tavistock this a.m. causing traffic mayhem with HGVs unable to get past due to parked cars. Didn't get the number, but a sorry end to the whole fiasco of this summer.
Nothing to do with the Dartmoor Explorer. That would have been on DSC001 okehampton to duchy college. Will have been 37155 as pic was posted on Firstbus enthusiasts Facebook group when it was delivered to Winkleigh last week with the caption “a quick cool down”

JKP

Presumably 36 headway saves a bus over 30 mins, but 45 wouldn’t work for vehicle requirements
It becomes a 45 minute frequency late Saturday afternoons though.

Also note that South West Coaches are not named on the Dorset 4 route.

farwest

I got an Enviro 200 on the 16 from Penzance the other day. It was an ex First Kernow Council owned vehicle once green and now red. The display inside was still saying First Kernow and scrolling through the old ticket information.
Perhaps they are all like this and I am even more unobservant than I thought!!

richw

Veteran Member
I got an Enviro 200 on the 16 from Penzance the other day. It was an ex First Kernow Council owned vehicle once green and now red. The display inside was still saying First Kernow and scrolling through the old ticket information.
Perhaps they are all like this and I am even more unobservant than I thought!!
Most have black tape over the scrolling message. But they all still have the first kernow message scrolling under the tape.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Most have black tape over the scrolling message. But they all still have the first kernow message scrolling under the tape.
Well they'll have to be untaped and fully operational with next stop announcements reinstated by October 2025!

83G/84D

Established Member
Three Sprinters are running on the Mousehole today, only the second time this has happened as far as I can ascertain.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Three Sprinters are running on the Mousehole today, only the second time this has happened as far as I can ascertain.
Yes, 54112 re-entered service around 10:00 this morning.

Meanwhile, still awaiting the arrival of 54111.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What's more, I saw one on Ross Bridge going to Mousehole mid afternoon whose seats were almost all occupied - hope all concerned knew next stop was Newlyn Bridge!

Goldfish62

Established Member
What's more, I saw one on Ross Bridge going to Mousehole mid afternoon whose seats were almost all occupied - hope all concerned knew next stop was Newlyn Bridge!
What about the three stops in between (Jubilee Pool, Wherrytown, Art Gallery)?

One I was on the other a couple actually got off at the pool having travelled from the bus station!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What about the three stops in between (Jubilee Pool, Wherrytown, Art Gallery)?

One I was on the other a couple actually got off at the pool having travelled from the bus station!
I thought the Pool stop was more a theoretical one than actual, rather like the one not on the other side! Meant to say Art Gallery rather than Newlyn Bridge, reflecting the direction of travel. Can't say I've spotted a Wherrytown stop, was that introduced with the 5A, which has lousy loadings every time I see it? What a waste of a larger single decker! Wonder whether that couple realised the bus wouldn't be going anywhere near Greenmarket, so decided to leg it up Chapel Street.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I thought the Pool stop was more a theoretical one than actual, rather like the one not on the other side! Meant to say Art Gallery rather than Newlyn Bridge, reflecting the direction of travel. Can't say I've spotted a Wherrytown stop, was that introduced with the 5A, which has lousy loadings every time I see it? What a waste of a larger single decker! Wonder whether that couple realised the bus wouldn't be going anywhere near Greenmarket, so decided to leg it up Chapel Street.
They may very well have done!

Both sides of the road at the Jubilee Pool now have stop flags and are regularly used.

As for the Wherrytown stops, they've been there since the start of time! Well, at least since before my childhood, which was a fair time ago now! Again, regularly used stops, particularly for the Co-op and Lidl.

83G/84D

Established Member
Open top 37058 has returned from Somerset and is on the Lands End Coaster route today along with Falmouth Coaster 32179.
Usual delays and cancellations on the T1/T2 this afternoon with no advice on social media from the company. The service has been terrible this summer, just the usual excuses of roadworks and traffic delays and few apologies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
They may very well have done!

Both sides of the road at the Jubilee Pool now have stop flags and are regularly used.

As for the Wherrytown stops, they've been there since the start of time! Well, at least since before my childhood, which was a fair time ago now! Again, regularly used stops, particularly for the Co-op and Lidl.
I must keep my eyes open more. I remember Wherrytown stops but thought they went when Alexandra Road ceased to be served on a regular basis when the 5 got diverted via Newlyn Coombe. Unfortunately for me, I could only contemplate travel by bus now accompanied by a minder. It's been about three years now, same with trains.

open. All

farwest

I saw the Exmoor coaster heading to Land's end from Penzance this afternoon at 1330.

Last edited:

LAIRA

Truronian appear to have a new coach 24212 BF73CCD working Rail Replacement in Plymouth today. Also present were 24274 BF21EOJ 53862 20561 20805.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Truronian appear to have a new coach 24212 BF73CCD working Rail Replacement in Plymouth today. Also present were 24274 BF21EOJ 53862 20561 20805.
Yes, it was delivered a couple of weeks ago. Mercedes Tourismo.

DaveLondon

I thought no new diesel vehicles were being purchased after 2022?
I don't think that was ever said in relation to coaches. The only widely available electric coaches are Yutong and the info at the time referred to diesel Volvos being imminent.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I don't think that was ever said in relation to coaches. The only widely available electric coaches are Yutong and the info at the time referred to diesel Volvos being imminent.
Correct. No more new diesel *buses*. Same as National Express.

It's not as if First is in need of a great quantity of coaches anyway.