• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

richw

Veteran Member
I don't think Simon Goff and the team are bad people.
They are approaching in a Different direction, and more accountant based, with low risk. I imagine they’ve been given a low risk mandate from above. If the results reflect then they’ve succeeded.

Alex and Marc had many years of experience between them, and suspect they may have had a looser reign from above, as long as the results came in. FSW achieved its most profitable ever period under them which speaks volumes on their approaches.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

They are approaching in a Different direction, and more accountant based, with low risk. I imagine they’ve been given a low risk mandate from above. If the results reflect then they’ve succeeded.

Alex and Marc had many years of experience between them, and suspect they may have had a looser reign from above, as long as the results came in. FSW achieved its most profitable ever period under them which speaks volumes on their approaches.
It’s not just Cornwall - FirstBus as a whole are moving to low risk, accountant based ways of running a bus service. See the AI timetables, cutting frequencies to the minimum they can get away with, shrinking fleet sizes across the whole group

henryb

If the adventures by bus website is also to be believed. Dartmoor Explorer has been wiped off

83G/84D

Established Member
I never managed to go on the Dartmoor Explorer, did anyone on here go on it and what were your impressions of it?

richw

Veteran Member
I never managed to go on the Dartmoor Explorer, did anyone on here go on it and what were your impressions of it?
One of my favourite to drive, lovely scenery, excellent potential. Control and local management saw it as inconvenience, timetable didn’t work for a day out.

83G/84D

Established Member
One of my favourite to drive, lovely scenery, excellent potential. Control and local management saw it as inconvenience, timetable didn’t work for a day out.
Thanks, I found that the timetable was an issue as well and that’s partly why I never used it. I couldn’t figure an easy way to sample most of the route and get from and to west Cornwall in a day, using other buses or the train (or both). I doubt I will get the opportunity to sample it this year.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Thanks, I found that the timetable was an issue as well and that’s partly why I never used it. I couldn’t figure an easy way to sample most of the route and get from and to west Cornwall in a day,using other buses or the train (or both).I doubt I will get the opportunity to sample it this year.
Nor will anyone, by the sound of it!

henryb

The timetable at least worked fairly well this summer went it went to Plymouth and maybe I had a one off journey but there were actually 15-20 people on from Exeter so perhaps it wasn’t too bad. Still think one of the great appeals was having the deckers though.

richw

Veteran Member
The timetable at least worked fairly well this summer went it went to Plymouth and maybe I had a one off journey but there were actually 15-20 people on from Exeter so perhaps it wasn’t too bad. Still think one of the great appeals was having the deckers though.
This summer, with the better timetable carried better numbers from what I can gather from those who drove the route

MarkC

Having used Dartmoor Explorer from Plymouth several times last year I hope it returns in 2024 as it did have some good loadings. I don't think it will though sadly.

My observations are great service with some brilliant and helpful bus drivers but absolutely awful marketing to the point that most people probably didn't even know it existed. Seemed rather half hearted by First tbh. This made even worse by withdrawal of double decker used and replaced by what seemed like anything First could gey their hands on. I had Mousehole bus and green buses of Somerset plus a standard First bus complete with Southampton service updates info. I also travelled on it last week of operation and whilst switching buses at Moretonhampstead hears a discussion between 2 drivers whom had a different end date on their timetables
One driver thought servuce ended that Saturday the other had another week to go. Got me thinking if drivers didn't know what was going on, how would the customer..lol

Last edited:

Peter Philips

Having used Dartmoor Explorer from Plymouth several times last year I hope it returns in 2024 as it did have some good loadings. I don't think it will though sadly.

My observations are great service with some brilliant and helpful bus drivers but absolutely awful marketing to the point that most people probably didn't even know it existed. Seemed rather half hearted by First tbh. This made even worse by withdrawal of double decker used and replaced by what seemed like anything First could gey their hands on. I had Mousehole bus and green buses of Somerset plus a standard First bus complete with Southampton service updates info. I also travelled on it last week of operation and whilst switching buses at Moretonhampstead hears a discussion between 2 drivers whom had a different end date on their timetables
One driver thought servuce ended that Saturday the other had another week to go. Got me thinking if drivers didn't know what was going on, how would the customer..lol
I recall the end date was brought forward to finish the route sooner & initially some buses didn't have destination screens programmed so ran with a bit of paper in the windscreen which was hard to see (on top of buses with unfamiliar non-local branding such as the Lizard).

GBM

Drivers are always the last to know.
The first they know is when things are published on line.
We know the same time as the public!

RELL6L

I used it in 2021 and it was well advertised, well presented and pretty much on time with a good driver. Such a shame it has been allowed to decline.

If only there was another bus company with a reliable supply of double deckers from Plymouth/Tavistock and Exeter who could provide a bus and driver to run a round trip from each end between the peaks on Monday to Friday and perhaps slightly more at weekends.....

Maybe the county council could provide a little nudge to make it work, surely a great enhancement to the network.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Tree lopper 34258 has been acquired by Bromley Bus Preservation Group according to a report on Facebook.
It’s undecided whether the vehicle will be kept or used as a source of spares.

MarkC

I used it in 2021 and it was well advertised, well presented and pretty much on time with a good driver. Such a shame it has been allowed to decline.

If only there was another bus company with a reliable supply of double deckers from Plymouth/Tavistock and Exeter who could provide a bus and driver to run a round trip from each end between the peaks on Monday to Friday and perhaps slightly more at weekends.....

Maybe the county council could provide a little nudge to make it work, surely a great enhancement to the network.
I always thought Dartmoor Explorer would suit Stagecoach better tbh , having depots and large operations in both Plymouth and Exeter and outstation at Tavistock. It is nice to still have a small First presence in the city though. Could also allow Stagecoach Explorer and Devon Day tickets on it which would be great advantage when £2 single fare ends

DaveHarries

Established Member
It would appear that First Kernow have some big changes planned in Cornwall. I saw this on Facebook earlier:
Dave Moore (Transport for Cornwall Enthusiast Group (Facebook) said:
Rumours on local FB groups that First Kernow route 24 will be diverted away from Tywardreath village from April.

One reply has said this:
Richard Warwicker (Transport for Cornwall Enthusiast Group (Facebook) said:
It's their plan. But subject to council consultation process time and traffic commissioner approval thereafter. First have big changes in consultation at the council at present.

And another:
Beverley Foster-Brown (Transport for Cornwall Enthusiast Group (Facebook) said:
It's not rumours and it's not going passed (sic) the football club either.

I did ask if there was any info online but the reply was "not yet". If the changes planned, whatever they might be, go through and are implemented then I wonder if that will change the amount of work in GCB's hands. Let us wait and see...

Dave

Goldfish62

Established Member
It would appear that First Kernow have some big changes planned in Cornwall. I saw this on Facebook earlier:

One reply has said this:

And another:

I did ask if there was any info online but the reply was "not yet". If the changes planned, whatever they might be, go through and are implemented then I wonder if that will change the amount of work in GCB's hands. Let us wait and see...

Dave
Not surprised. First's focus on Cornwall definitely seems to have shifted from trying to grow and maximising revenue to cutting back and minimising costs, ie a return to the Lockheed era.

The problem is that it places an ever-increasing burden on the council's bus budget and we all know, or should know, how much trouble local authority finances are in.

I don't want to sound alarmist but we might in future look back on the last few years back to 2016 as a golden era for Cornwall's buses.

sbrignall72

Has there been any more indications when the accident damaged 54113 and the late delivery 54111 will arrive and enter service? Been a bit protracted this whole delivery.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Has there been any more indications when the accident damaged 54113 and the late delivery 54111 will arrive and enter service? Been a bit protracted this whole delivery.
It's quite incredible for a couple of van conversions.

LAIRA

The person who first posted it on Facebook will be in the know, and can be taken as factual.

They’ve surrendered approx 10 school services from February half term, reducing requiI hear

The person who first posted it on Facebook will be in the know, and can be taken as factual.

They’ve surrendered approx 10 school services from February half term, reducing requirement
I understand Transport for Cornwall have picked up 3 of these school contracts at Helston. Does anyone know who has the other 7 and which schools are affected?

MarkC

I understand Transport for Cornwall have picked up 3 of these school contracts at Helston. Does anyone know who has the other 7 and which schools are affected?
Not sure what schools but I believe Stagecoach have picked up several in Eastern Cornwall to be run from Plymouth