• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Andyh82

Established Member
Timetables for the Easter changes are now on traveline
It’s nice to see that FirstBus’s AI scheduling hasn’t made its way to Kernow, and the timetables are still same minutes across the middle of the day at sensible frequencies. The Tinner still being properly every 15 minutes rather than every 16-17 minutes you’d see at other opcos

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
It’s nice to see that FirstBus’s AI scheduling hasn’t made its way to Kernow, and the timetables are still same minutes across the middle of the day at sensible frequencies. The Tinner still being properly every 15 minutes rather than every 16-17 minutes you’d see at other opcos
Yes, a big relief especially as Simon Goff had been championing AI timetables. Perhaps he's realised the folly of them already!

Having a brief look at the timetables I noted the following :

Big cuts to the Land's End Coaster and Atlantic Coaster at least until the end of May.

17 is restored to half-hourly and with a very welcome restoration of the Pendeen leg back via Heamoor.

Mousehole restored to the "pre-Sprinter" timetable, but with some cuts to early mornings.

Tinner: T1 remains Penzance - Truro, T2 is St Ives - St Austell and T3 St Ives - Newquay.

St Austell - Fowey (29) now looks very forlorn!

Overall not half as bad as I'd feared given the last minute cuts in the winter and the losses that FSW have made.

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
It would be interesting to know by how much the peak vehicle requirement will drop as a result of these service changes.

Andyh82

Established Member
It would be interesting to know by how much the peak vehicle requirement will drop as a result of these service changes.
In terms of closed top

24/29 is 2 buses instead of 3

The Tinner changes will save 1 bus as the 91 currently runs to Truro College

The 17 is 5 buses rather than 3

The Tin Coaster obviously was supposed to be open top but generally wasn’t so it’s debatable if it should be included in this bit or not, but it was 2 buses

In high summer CAT and T2A will be new closed top services

So it’s basically pretty much the same give or take a bus here and there and how they interwork with schools

In terms of open top, we’d have to wait and see what the High Season timetable is, but it’s at least -4 due to no Tin Coaster, Sunseeker or Falmouth Coaster. LAND & ATLA will probably be around the same especially with the latter being extended to Quintrell Downs

Whiteway215

Established Member
In terms of closed top

The Tin Coaster obviously was supposed to be open top but generally wasn’t so it’s debatable if it should be included in this bit or not, but it was 2 buses

So it’s basically pretty much the same give or take a bus here and there and how they interwork with schools

In terms of open top, we’d have to wait and see what the High Season timetable is, but it’s at least -4 due to no Tin Coaster, Sunseeker or Falmouth Coaster. LAND & ATLA will probably be around the same especially with the latter being extended to Quintrell Downs
Many thanks. So regarding the stated aim of replacing the ageing B7TLs there will still be a need for a large intake of cascaded deckers from somewhere.

buscoaster

The new AI timetables for Cornwall are due to be implemented from winter 2024 - they were simply not ready for summer roll out, but it is coming.

embers25

Established Member
AI on the lands end coaster should be 'interesting' given one day a journey can be an hour late and the next run early as it depends on weather which AI can't account for accurately surely. Certainly, First Solent AI is a joke. It changed the time of my X4 and each time my X4 has run late and , unsurprisingly, matched the old fixed non AI timetable much closer!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
In terms of closed top

What about the 19 withdrawal with replacement by the 17/A?

Citistar

The new AI timetables for Cornwall are due to be implemented from winter 2024 - they were simply not ready for summer roll out, but it is coming.
What a hideous mistake. I'm sure Cornish passengers will look forward to features such as three buses within six minutes with a twenty minute gap either side.

Busspotter456

Hello, is Truronian taking over another Smiths contract from Liskeard College? Saw 2 green Truronian Coaches parked up at the bus stands

EDIT- I only saw one on Thursday, maybe I was just imagining

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
Hello, is Truronian taking over another Smiths contract from Liskeard College? Saw 2 green Truronian Coaches parked up at the bus stands

EDIT- I only saw one on Thursday, maybe I was just imagining
Definitely just the one. But it’s not unheard of for operators to cover an odd day for each other.
Truronian and Roselyn regularly help each other out for example. I’ve done a number of Roselyn school services when I was working for Truronian.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Unidentified Exmoor Coaster Gemini spotted heading west on the A30 near Scorrier this afternoon.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The long-delayed Sprinter, 54111, noted fully vinyled in Penzance bus station this morning.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Reported to be entering service tomorrow. Was on staff shuttles today
Thought I might have seen it in Newlyn today? Too busy keeping my eyes on the road while driving to confirm! There was certainly a non-Sprinter on the route, though.

Andyh82

Established Member

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Summer 2024 timetable book is now available on the Go Cornwall website

This includes the full timetables for the low/mid/high season variants of the Lands End Coaster and Atlantic Coaster, as expected they are 2 hourly low season, every 90 mins mid season and hourly high season.

Details of the Cat which will be alongside the Mouse are also shown
The Lands End Coaster and Atlantic Coaster are actually every 105 minutes low season and every 75 minutes mid season, which makes them both more frequent but also, to most, less likely to have the times memorised.:smile:

Peter Philips

The Lands End Coaster and Atlantic Coaster are actually every 105 minutes low season and every 75 minutes mid season, which makes them both more frequent but also, to most, less likely to have the times memorised.:smile:
...and presumably all Sundays are forecast to be wet & windy suppressing demand hence their lower frequencies this year?! Could be some busy Sunday journeys perhaps should the currently run of wet weather stop?

Andyh82

Established Member
Loads more running time has been added to The Tinner to improve reliability

To take one example, last summer, the T2 would leave Truro at 1020, pass Camborne at 1122, arrive St Ives 1203.
There would be 9 mins layover, leaving at 1212, passing Camborne at 1255, arriving back in Truro at 1354

Now, a T2 leaves Truro at 1015 (having come from St Austell), passes Camborne at 1129, arriving St Ives at 1218
There is now 12 mins layover, so it leaves at 1230, passes Camborne at 1325, arriving Truro at 1435 (and then continuing to St Austell)