• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Train from Torrington in 40 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Luxton

Established Member
The first (300 yard) section of the Tarka Valley Railway at Torrington reopened at the weekend. Report from BBC:

A passenger train left a heritage railway station in north Devon for the first time in more than 40 years.
The last passenger train left Great Torrington Station in November 1982 after regular services were withdrawn.
Tarka Valley Railway, a heritage organisation that aims to rebuild the line between Torrington and Bideford, opened the first section of track on Saturday.
The driver and guard from the train in 1982 were invited to the reopening.
Former driver Fred Cole, 92, from Exeter, said he was impressed with what he saw.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Former driver Fred Cole, 92, from Exeter, said he was impressed with what he saw.
Mr Cole, who served in the Army before working as a train driver across the country, said the new train was "very nice indeed".
"What lovely seats in the trains compared to the day," he said.

Things we never thought we’d hear said about a pacer!

richw

Veteran Member
It's nice to see Pacers setting into their heritage life.

View attachment 140567
I'm not very familiar with the Pacer's seating arrangements, is the one on that unit 2+3 proper seats not benches?
GWR 143s had nice seats from memory. Can’t remember if 2+2 or 2+3.

I imagine they are good cheap runners for preserved railways with lesser revenue such as this one being a fresh start up

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I imagine they are good cheap runners for preserved railways with lesser revenue such as this one being a fresh start up
2+2 seats in all Pacers that had the original bus benches replaced, apart from the Merseytravel 142s. This includes all 143s, all 144s, and (I think) all the Welsh and Northern Spirit 142s. Those high backed seats in 3+2 would mean everyone having to move sideways down the aisle!

fgwrich

Established Member

2 + 2 Chapmans installed by Wales & West. For what they were, they were decent units on the Devon Metro (Exmouth > Exeter > Paignton) and thanks to the majority of it being CWR, rode quite well. The subsequent FGW refurbishment made them probably the nicest pacers of all inside!

Deepgreen

Established Member
I read this and my first thought was; how many preserved vehicles carry the current livery of a local TOC? Given the location, one could be forgiven for thinking GWR have started a service! I can't think of any other examples, but perhaps someone will correct me.

richw

Veteran Member
I read this and my first thought was; how many preserved vehicles carry the current livery of a local TOC? Given the location, one could be forgiven for thinking GWR have started a service! I can't think of any other examples, but perhaps someone will correct me.
Believe the plym valley railway on the outskirts of Plymouth also have a GWR liveried pacer.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Believe the plym valley railway on the outskirts of Plymouth also have a GWR liveried pacer.
They certainly have a 143 except they seem to have replaced any GWR text with their own version (source), although it is indeed in GWR green.
2000_63376b3938bff.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.