• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flights you have been on

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gabrielhj07

A year ago today, I flew on the last EI911 from Gatwick - Knock. Bonus points for winner EI-DEL, rounding off countless return flights on that route over the years. Return to London was by means of the suitably late FR8145 to Bedfordshire International Aerodrome.

Attachments

• 6C3AC497-FB57-4B02-A53C-782AF83CC309_1_105_c.jpeg
    6C3AC497-FB57-4B02-A53C-782AF83CC309_1_105_c.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 24
  • F8EC6411-949B-4CF8-B55F-BCC07CAA1AA6_1_105_c.jpeg
    F8EC6411-949B-4CF8-B55F-BCC07CAA1AA6_1_105_c.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 24

route101

Established Member
Flew easyjet at the weekend and got a nice NEO on the way to Luton. On the way back I got an old 2006 A319. I imagine this A319 will be withdrawn soon, most of my easyjet flights are on the A320 now.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I won't bore with the full list, but my first ever flight was a very unusual one. I was returning from a cycling trip in the Highlands in February 1984 and encountered a rail strike on my arrival at Glasgow Central. I needed to be back in London for work the next day so made the spur-of-the-moment decision to cycle to Abbotsinch and catch the shuttle to Heathrow. I turned up at the airport with bike and heavy panniers and managed to get the last seat available on the next shuttle. It was one of the last operated by a Trident before the BA fleet was withdrawn. The staff were a little taken aback by the bike, but it all went amazingly well. The bike was carried free (cargo holds on shuttles were almost empty) and it was surreal to see the bike emerging at Heathrow on top of a large luggage trolley! I lived in Ashtead at the time so cycled home from the airport.

Quite a quirky one was many years ago on a holiday in Thailand (Chiang Mai) when we flew to Bangkok and caught a 'shuttle' for the one hour trip to Chiang Mai, flown by a...Boeing 747! Obviously a very short run for 747.

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
I won't bore with the full list, but my first ever flight was a very unusual one. I was returning from a cycling trip in the Highlands in February 1984 and encountered a rail strike on my arrival at Glasgow Central. I needed to be back in London for work the next day so made the spur-of-the-moment decision to cycle to Abbotsinch and catch the shuttle to Heathrow. I turned up at the airport with bike and heavy panniers and managed to get the last seat available on the next shuttle. It was one of the last operated by a Trident before the BA fleet was withdrawn. The staff were a little taken aback by the bike, but it all went amazingly well. The bike was carried free (cargo holds on shuttles were almost empty) and it was surreal to see the bike emerging at Heathrow on top of a large luggage trolley! I lived in Ashtead at the time so cycled home from the airport.

Quite a quirky one was many years ago on a holiday in Thailand (Chiang Mai) when we flew to Bangkok and caught a 'shuttle' for the one hour trip to Chiang Mai, flown by a...Boeing 747! Obviously a very short run for 747.
Good result!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Airbus 350 ride today for me on DL75. AMS to ATL connecting from MAN on KL1072 then finally onto CHA also on Delta.
Wow - I got a last minute OpUp (operational Upgrade) to Delta One - seat 4F in AMS . Brilliant and I was buzzing.

Attachments

• A350 wing.jpg
    A350 wing.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 22
  • A350 Delta One seat.jpg
    A350 Delta One seat.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • DL One menu.jpg
    DL One menu.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

MasterSpenny

On Saturday I did another Ryanair flight, this time to Malaga from London Stansted. I found that this flight didn’t have anything wrong, as everything was working fine. I hope I have the same experience on the return flight on Saturday! (although it’s to Gatwick, not Stansted)

northwichcat

Established Member
Before I arrived at the gate at Shannon Airport for a flight to Manchester recently, I was surprised to hear an annoucement saying the flight was oversold and the first person(s) to offer to move to 'the next available flight' would get 250 Euros plus an overnight hotel and taxi.

If the next available flight was 2 days later and the hotel wasn't in the middle of nowhere then I might have found it an attractive offer. However, I didn't rush to the gate when the number came up as I knew for Ryanair the gate number coming up means they're ready to scan boarding passes, not that the plane is ready to board. I was right to presume that as there was a very long delay between the boarding process starting and the plane being ready to board. The pilot even made an annoucement apologising for the airport staff getting people out of the terminal too soon when the plane needed cleaning after someone was sick on the previous flight.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
On Saturday I did another Ryanair flight, this time to Malaga from London Stansted. I found that this flight didn’t have anything wrong, as everything was working fine. I hope I have the same experience on the return flight on Saturday! (although it’s to Gatwick, not Stansted)
A lot of people knock Ryanair but I really don’t have a problem with them. I use them when I am in Europe. I do LPL to NOC about twice a year when visiting my grandchildren in Galway.

route101

Established Member
Flew Ryanair Edinburgh to Belfast. Glad I had my passport on me as they asked for passports instead of driving licenses. I think this caught out a few people but I think they let them off with driving licenses.

northwichcat

Established Member
Flew Ryanair Edinburgh to Belfast. Glad I had my passport on me as they asked for passports instead of driving licenses. I think this caught out a few people but I think they let them off with driving licenses.

They were lucky then. Ryanair have a policy of only allowing passports as ID and this has led to some people being refused boarding. I'm pretty sure the online check in process requires you to enter a passport number, so anyone without one will struggle to check in.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
They were lucky then. Ryanair have a policy of only allowing passports as ID and this has led to some people being refused boarding. I'm pretty sure the online check in process requires you to enter a passport number, so anyone without one will struggle to check in.
It doesn't help when EasyJet/BA/Aer Lingus/Loganair will all let you on with a driving license I believe.

northwichcat

Established Member
It doesn't help when EasyJet/BA/Aer Lingus/Loganair will all let you on with a driving license I believe.

Even for flights between the UK and Republic of Ireland all you legally need is photo ID and ID that proves you're a British or Irish national. Passports and driving licences both fulfill those requirements. I understand some carriers accept disabled/pensioner's bus passes.

Snow1964

Established Member
Flew easyjet at the weekend and got a nice NEO on the way to Luton. On the way back I got an old 2006 A319. I imagine this A319 will be withdrawn soon, most of my easyjet flights are on the A320 now.

Flew EasyJet to Bristol to Tenerife two week ago, back week ago.
It was full A321neo both ways (all 240 seats in use)

Seats were very uncomfortable and as had headwinds on way out were on plane nearly 5 hours. Those A321s are too high density and with insufficient toilets (queues for them for lot of flight duration), for what is effectively a mid haul duration flight.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Seats were very uncomfortable and as had headwinds on way out were on plane nearly 5 hours. Those A321s are too high density and with insufficient toilets (queues for them for lot of flight duration), for what is effectively a mid haul duration flight.

I fifnd the seats on EZY’s neos plenty comfortable, although to be fair my flights have been max 2h rather than 5.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Even for flights between the UK and Republic of Ireland all you legally need is photo ID and ID that proves you're a British or Irish national. Passports and driving licences both fulfill those requirements. I understand some carriers accept disabled/pensioner's bus passes.
Yes, this is why it is slightly initiating that Ryanair doesn't accept them for CTA flights at least

northwichcat

Established Member
I fifnd the seats on EZY’s neos plenty comfortable, although to be fair my flights have been max 2h rather than 5.

Longest flight I've done with Easyjet was Manchester to Enfidha last year. I can't remember which seating type I got.

I do recall doing a Ryanair return flight to Riga and getting the new seating type both ways and thinking these seats are too firm for the journey length. However, I then did a return Ryanair flight to Rhodes and got the old seating type both ways and wasn't any more impressed, especially with the return flight being delayed due to bad weather.

route101

Established Member

My only experience of a Easyjet A321 was Bristol to Glasgow, no different to the A320. Its the older A319s that I find uncomfortable.

Last time I flew BA on a domestic flight I don't recall showing any form of ID.

Iskra

Established Member
I did an Aer Lingus A321 to New York from Manchester and it was fine, but I wouldn’t want to go much further on such an aircraft. I guess like most seats, it probably does depend on your size/shape as a person.

route101

Established Member
Only for international flights I have entered passport number.

northwichcat

Established Member
Only for international flights I have entered passport number.
I had to enter it in the Ryanair app to fly from Manchester to Shannon a few weeks ago, which may be UK to Ireland but, as mentioned above, not a route where passports are required.

Unless you're under 16 and travelling with an adult, you are required to show something. I'm pretty sure it's the law for all flights due to potential terrorism risk, rather than an airline policy.

British Airways said:
You do not require a passport to travel within the UK, but you will need to carry one type of photographic ID when travelling with us. Examples include:
  • Valid passport
  • Valid driving licence, either provisional or full
  • Valid EU national identity card
  • Valid armed forces identity card
  • Valid police warrant card or badge
Children under the age of 16 do not need to show identification when travelling on domestic flights. The adult they are travelling with must travel with photographic identification and be able to confirm their identity.

Iskra

Established Member
Not quite worth its own thread:

In January, I'm travelling long haul with Virgin Atlantic for the first time since 2015 (747 return to Vegas :( ). One way we are current assigned a Dreamliner, the other an A330-900 Neo, both of which are new aircraft types for me, can anyone comment on what these two aircraft are like, any differences between them? How does Virgin Atlantic compare to BA longhaul these days? My Vegas trip with Virgin wasn't the best to be honest, so hoping for an improvement.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Not quite worth its own thread:

In January, I'm travelling long haul with Virgin Atlantic for the first time since 2015 (747 return to Vegas :( ). One way we are current assigned a Dreamliner, the other an A330-900 Neo, both of which are new aircraft types for me, can anyone comment on what these two aircraft are like, any differences between them? How does Virgin Atlantic compare to BA longhaul these days? My Vegas trip with Virgin wasn't the best to be honest, so hoping for an improvement.

Having done both in recent months, VS long haul is, in my opinion, better than BA.

The A330-900neo is a decent aircraft. Flew economy delight with extra legroom which was great. Haven’t been on their Dreamliners.

MasterSpenny

Return flight from Malaga to London - Saturday 13th of April, 2024

This is a flight report I keep forgetting to post on here, so I shall do that now. This flight did not go well at the start, but it all worked out at the end. I will explain this from the first sighting of the plane.

The boarding of the plane took quite a while, and the departure time over ran (as I expected it to). Once at the gate, having thought it was a Ryanair flight (I thought it would be as the outward flight to Malaga I got was operated by Ryanair), I found out that it was an Easyjet flight! The delays started when the captain said something along the lines of ‘we will be at a remote stand for the next 2 hours’ (I can’t remember what he said word to word). However, it appeared to be nothing, as our slot of departure was brought forward to nearly the front. As a result, we were only at the remote stand for about 5 minutes.

During the airborne section, it turned into the standard Easyjet flight with food, drink, etc.

Overall, I’d say that there was an unexpected surprise at the start of this flight. I certainly wasn’t expecting it!

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Was it a while ago? I flew with them on a return trip Heathrow - Glasgow between the lockdowns in 2020, my license was given a cursory check when I dropped my bag and I did the swish security set up they have at T5.

route101

Established Member
Was it a while ago? I flew with them on a return trip Heathrow - Glasgow between the lockdowns in 2020, my license was given a cursory check when I dropped my bag and I did the swish security set up they have at T5.
It was last year. Hand luggage only with one of them automatic gates.

Acey

I suppose I must be unique here in never being on a jet airliner at all in my 73 years ,spent all my vacations in the UK ,apart from a trip to Austria ,by road)but I did have a low level flight in a DC3 from Biggin Hill over London ,which was enjoyable ( and bumpy)