• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
I apologize for that. I didn't know that they tracked on their own site.

Shame they don't do external tracking though like (National Express (NatEx) and Megabus showing tracking on BusTimes.org.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin2012

Something I can't help but wonder, given that Whippet Coaches are based in Cambridge why Flixbus aren't utilising the vehicles by operating a Cambridge to London Service. Am sure there would be a way a vehicle could do Cambridge to London then London to Bristol or Cardiff afterwards and same in reverse.

CBlue

Something I can't help but wonder, given that Whippet Coaches are based in Cambridge why Flixbus aren't utilising the vehicles by operating a Cambridge to London Service. Am sure there would be a way a vehicle could do Cambridge to London then London to Bristol or Cardiff afterwards and same in reverse.
I'm not sure they'd even make the money back from the registration fee.

The current National Express (NatEx) 010 service has suffered death by a thousand cuts over the previous decade, not helped by travel times end to end being almost three times longer than the train. The last time I used it the train wasn't even much more expensive.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm a regular coach user (in normal times). If I wasn't on this forum, I'd have never heard of Flixbus. Now, once I'm out more often, I may have seen them and looked them up, but that'll take a while at the low frequencies they're currently running at.

As @CBlue says, this is a long way from being National Express's busiest route.

I used to catch it occasionally in the early 2000s as I used to need to be in Cambridge for around 7pm. I worked above Victoria Coach Station so it took me pretty much all the way from where I was, to where I was going. £1 fares were often available.

I used to catch a peak-time service. We'd snake though London, with more stops than any other NX service I've caught, and pick up maybe 20 people.

dan5324

On Moderation
There is no demand at present for a Cambridge service. Hence why National Express aren’t serving the area currently. A Great Yarmouth service will be introduced on May 17th though.

Mr Manager

Are Limburg Touring running any routes at the moment as they have at least 2 Van Hool coaches with Flixbus vinyls knocking around?

johncrossley

Established Member
There is no booking fee if you use certain language/currency combinations. For example if you choose international English rather than UK English.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Is that a complete axle failure rather than just a wheel loss - there should be two wheels at the rear.
I'm no mechanic but i'm pretty sure there should be 4 wheels! From my understanding the nearside wheel split in half causing it to come off.

traction22

Does anyone have a timetable for UK routes? Their web site is crap at things like this (most sites are). It wants you to tell it where you want to get on / off. Well, that's fine, but I don't know what my options are other than guessing so I'd like a guide first. Also, specifically where the stops are, because LEEDS, Kirkgate could be anywhere in near the (large) market and if I'm starting my trip there, I'd like to know so I'm not panicking on the day (I didn't see it listed on their site).

EDIT : https://www.flixbus.co.uk/bus-routes . I found this. Not perfect, but it's a guide.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Does anyone have a timetable for UK routes? Their web site is crap at things like this (most sites are). It wants you to tell it where you want to get on / off. Well, that's fine, but I don't know what my options are other than guessing so I'd like a guide first. Also, specifically where the stops are, because LEEDS, Kirkgate could be anywhere in near the (large) market and if I'm starting my trip there, I'd like to know so I'm not panicking on the day (I didn't see it listed on their site).

EDIT : https://www.flixbus.co.uk/bus-routes . I found this. Not perfect, but it's a guide.
The best way to get the stop location is by going to 'timetables & stops' then searching for the town/city. In this case, Leeds, it then shows you an address for the bus stop. https://www.flixbus.co.uk/coach/leeds

traction22

Ta - that wasn't obvious. And it seems it goes from the same place that Megabus went from before they moved to the bus station. Which begs the question, why don't these use the bus station (Cost?). It would be a better user experience and it's hardly like the bus station is at capacity.

darloscott

Here’s a UK timetable I out together a few weeks ago. It needs updating to take account of a few services being added since the start but it gives a good idea.

Attachments

• flixbusuk_2021_v5.pdf
    564.5 KB · Views: 54

woodhouse122

Tried the Flixbus from Meadowhall sheffield to London Victoria and back on Thursday and apart from a switch of coach at Newport Pagnell services on the southbound journey (issues with the coach according to the driver) all went well, and I had a good day in London for my £2.98 (already have 2 more London trips in the next few weeks)

Here’s a UK timetable I out together a few weeks ago. It needs updating to take account of a few services being added since the start but it gives a good idea.
Thanks for this - very useful :)

Last edited:

317 forever

Established Member
As I'm likely to be going to Leeds in July, I feel tempted to ride Hulley's route X57 from Manchester to Sheffield, then Supertram to Meadowhall, then Flixbus to Leeds.

dan5324

On Moderation
Ta - that wasn't obvious. And it seems it goes from the same place that Megabus went from before they moved to the bus station. Which begs the question, why don't these use the bus station (Cost?). It would be a better user experience and it's hardly like the bus station is at capacity.
Cost. Flixbus routes are run on a shoestring budget.

darloscott

Ok so I spent some time updating (and improving) my schedule this afternoon so here's v5.1 with the Linburg trips added to route 005 Derby-London and I've colour coded the operators now to make it easier to see who operates what...

Attachments

• flixbusuk_2021_v5.1.pdf
    585.9 KB · Views: 82

MotCO

Established Member
Ok so I spent some time updating (and improving) my schedule this afternoon so here's v5.1 with the Linburg trips added to route 005 Derby-London and I've colour coded the operators now to make it easier to see who operates what...

What I find fascinating is that Whippet, based in Cambridgeshire, have to position coaches to Bradford for 07.00 and 12.00, and 08.00 for Bristol, and London Victoria for 09.00 and 10.00, with some late finishes at Bradford at 23.05 or 23.35. Likewise, Thandi, based in the west Midlands, has to position a coach in London for 09.00 and 10.30 and a late finish in London at 23.05. There are other examples of long positioning journeys which presumably eat into driver's hours, or are they overnighted away from their base?

dan5324

On Moderation
What I find fascinating is that Whippet, based in Cambridgeshire, have to position coaches to Bradford for 07.00 and 12.00, and 08.00 for Bristol, and London Victoria for 09.00 and 10.00, with some late finishes at Bradford at 23.05 or 23.35. Likewise, Thandi, based in the west Midlands, has to position a coach in London for 09.00 and 10.30 and a late finish in London at 23.05. There are other examples of long positioning journeys which presumably eat into driver's hours, or are they overnighted away from their base?
They change drivers at certain points. National Express do the same by running light from both Stansted and Luton. Admittedly they don't have quite as much dead running as Whippets. National Express are aiming to get a new base in Westbourne Park very soon, which should be interesting.

Simon75

On Moderation
National Express have the odd service (Megabus did) from Stoke-on-trent
I'm surprised Flixbus haven't tried a service

cnjb8

Established Member
I'm also surprised Flixbus have avoided Nottingham, although they might be waiting for the new Broadmarsh bus station to open