• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

johncrossley

Established Member
I could be wrong here, but aren't Flixbus avoiding bus/coach stations on cost saving grounds?

They don't generally like coach stations but use some, presumably ones that aren't expensive. When they took over Eurolines (or at least the part of the network covering western Europe), they closed the Eurolines coach stations and ticket offices in Amsterdam and some other locations. A lot of the time they stop near or next to main railway stations so you can shelter there if necessary and proceed to the bus when it arrives if you can see the stop from the station or by using the app to see where the bus is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Could have a long wait.
That is true unfortunately
I could be wrong here, but aren't Flixbus avoiding bus/coach stations on cost saving grounds?

They don't generally like coach stations but use some, presumably ones that aren't expensive. When they took over Eurolines (or at least the part of the network covering western Europe), they closed the Eurolines coach stations and ticket offices in Amsterdam and some other locations. A lot of the time they stop near or next to main railway stations so you can shelter there if necessary and proceed to the bus when it arrives if you can see the stop from the station or by using the app to see where the bus is.
In Nottingham, NatEx and Megabus have been using Station Street while Broadmarsh is closed. I believe Megabus aren't keen on using coach stations for fees (obvious exceptions for places like Victoria Street) but they used to use Broadmarsh. Although, they have used Station Street for ages now so they will probably keep using it after, Nottingham City Council in particular has struggled financially and will probay charge a fortune for use of Broadmarsh

Wolfie

Established Member
Just looked at London to Birmingham return later in May.

Flixbus - (awful website - l would suggest that splitting out domestic and international services would be a major improvement) - offering 99p fares on pretty much all services, plus £1 service charge.

National Express - (is it me or is the latest website inferior to the previous version?) - offering 90p fares, but only on those coaches more or less corresponding to Flixbus departure times, but notably dearer on other services, again with a £1 service charge.

Megabus - hopelessly uncompetitive pricewise.

How do Flixbus and National Express vehicles compare with respect to relative amenities and comfort?

markymark2000

On Moderation
Just looked at London to Birmingham return later in May.

Flixbus - (awful website - l would suggest that splitting out domestic and international services would be a major improvement) - offering 99p fares on pretty much all services, plus £1 service charge.

National Express - (is it me or is the latest website inferior to the previous version?) - offering 90p fares, but only on those coaches more or less corresponding to Flixbus departure times, but notably dearer on other services, again with a £1 service charge.

Megabus - hopelessly uncompetitive pricewise.

How do Flixbus and National Express vehicles compare with respect to relative amenities and comfort?
Depends on the operator. If you use a Whippets coach, you may well find that NatEx and Flixbus amenities/comfort match up perfectly (given they are using Levantes which were previously used with National Express)

johncrossley

Established Member

Outside the UK they typically offer good legroom and you can even pull the aisle seats away from the window seats slightly so you don't have to get so close to your neighbour.

dan5324

On Moderation
It's operator dependent. You could get a brand new Van Hool or an ex National Express Levante II, known for their lovely toilet fragrance which the air con just loves to spread around the cabin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfie

Established Member
Operator dependant. You could get a brand new van hool. Or an ex national express levante II. Known for their lovely toilet fragrance which the air con just loves to spread around the cabin.
Yes, l have had that "delightful" experience.... and people moan about Voyagers, lol...

dan5324

On Moderation
Yes, l have had that "delightful" experience.... and people moan about Voyagers, lol...
Yeah these are worse! The Levante II was just a poor vehicle all round with many design faults.

dan5324

On Moderation
Is the Levante III any better?
The toilet odour has been cured thanks to better pipe work. Also the thermostat is also much improved. The thermostat in the mk2 was right by the drivers window which meant whenever driving with the window down, the cabin would basically cook! Hence a lot of complaints about coaches being too hot. Heated flooring replaces convector heating. Other than that, it’s just a basic “built to a price” coach. Nothing special but does its job for National Express. You wouldn’t really want to use it on say touring or overseas work.

Judemayes7j

Do we know if they are actually operating through Heathrow? It is advertised on their route map and stop info (with coaches apparently stopping there), yet you can't seem to buy tickets online for it.

Bristol LHS

There are at least 2 Flixbus liveried Van Hools parked up in a yard at Leeming Bar. It's unclear if they’re associated with Procters or Abbots. Signs of Flix expansion further North?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
There are at least 2 Flixbus liveried Van Hools parked up in a yard at Leeming Bar. It's unclear if they’re associated with Procters or Abbots. Signs of Flix expansion further North?
Procters' sales division are currently advertising the former BM Coaches vehicles for sale, now with PSVAR compliant conversions. It could just be these?

2018 & 2019 Vanhool EX16M 57 Seat PSVAR compliant executive coaches

Choice of 12

DAF MX11 Euro 6

ZF auto gearbox

57 leather reclining Seats fitted with 3 point seatbelts, Seat back tables, magazine racks, foot rests and USB ports

Rear toilet and servery

Vanhool Factory PSVAR conversion

Dhollandia locker bottom lift

Centre door

Two quick release double seats

Hannover digital destination screens

Wood effect flooring

Carpeted

Front fridge

DVD/PA system

Reversing camera

CCTV

Rear air operated continental door

Alcoa Durabright alloy wheels

13.2m in length

Still under manufacturers warranty

These vehicles are still like new Immaculate condition Prices start at £175,000+VAT

extendedpaul

Had my second Flixbus trip to Cardiff and back this week. 9 passengers on the trip down, 11 on the return to London. Both arrived 15 minutes early. Very happy with the Flixbus service so far and I've already booked into June when the prices become more realistic though still very reasonable.

Chatting to one of the drivers, he said he understood Flixbus hope to offer through journeys to Europe via London once international travel restrictions are lifted. I can see the appeal of getting on a coach in, say, Cardiff or Birmingham, and travelling through to Paris or Amsterdam on the same vehicle.

Established Member
Chatting to one of the drivers, he said he understood Flixbus hope to offer through journeys to Europe via London once international travel restrictions are lifted. I can see the appeal of getting on a coach in, say, Cardiff or Birmingham, and travelling through to Paris or Amsterdam on the same vehicle.
That sounds like it will be a change of coach in London but a through ticket.

johncrossley

Established Member
Flixbus is recommended for cross-Channel services over National Express because they typically use higher spec double deckers with aisle seats that can be moved. They don't always use the Tunnel. It used to be possible to see from the timetable whether it uses the ferry or Tunnel and it varied by day even for the same route.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Had my second Flixbus trip to Cardiff and back this week. 9 passengers on the trip down, 11 on the return to London. Both arrived 15 minutes early. Very happy with the Flixbus service so far and I've already booked into June when the prices become more realistic though still very reasonable.

They are now offering international connections at London (something which they weren't doing before). This is a step in the right direction.

As for international services, the geography of the UK would make this very, very difficult. Almost all international buses go via the Eurotunnel and so you would be looking at many hours for some of the North-EU destinations. Having the split in London provides a decent break for fresh air and refreshment.

International to Ireland would be nice though or maybe something via the other ferries would similarly be good.

Smethwickian

Flixbus is recommended for cross-Channel services over National Express because ......
... National Express hasn't operated to/from continental Europe for quite a few years, nor been part of Eurolines for some time!
The tickets they sold on their website for European destinations immediately pre-pandemic were as agents for the third-party operator BlaBla Bus (formerly Ouibus).
Unfortunately, the National Express website confuses people by peppering its text with erroneous references to 'our' coaches and 'travelling with us' to Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam.
When operating, National Express sells tickets to/from Europe solely as agents for the third-party operator and only in the small print do its T&Cs make clear it has no responsibility for their operation/cancellation/lost property etc.

dan5324

On Moderation
National Express only and I mean only do things that benefit them financially. If a route or service or stop doesn’t benefit them, regardless of the benefits to passengers then it is axed. Simple as that. It’s why they gave up running rail, London buses, international services etc etc. Sure many other companies are the same, but not quite the same as National Express.
Cross channel coaches were a huge loss leader.

According to internal management figures, they reckon Flixbus are gaining passengers at the expense of Megabus. National Express are gaining passengers with no noticeable decrease.

Cesarcollie

National express only and I mean only do things that benefit them financially. If a route or service or stop doesn’t benefit them, regardless of the benefits go passengers then it is axed. Simple as that. It’s why they gave up running rail, London buses, international services etc etc. Sure many other companies are the same, but not quite the same as National Express.
Cross channel coaches were a huge loss leader.

According to internal management figures, they reckon flixbus are gaining passengers at the expense of megabus. National Express are gaining passengers with no noticeable decrease.

Surely a company has a duty to its shareholders to make money? If it doesn’t make money it can’t invest, can’t grow, can’t pay a dividend, and will eventually fail.....

traction22

Surely a company has a duty to its shareholders to make money? If it doesn’t make money it can’t invest, can’t grow, can’t pay a dividend, and will eventually fail.....
Likewise will one that ignores it's customer base and simply chases money for shareholders.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could I remind everyone that Flixbus is the subject of this thread. Thanks.

Martin2012

I am personally not a fan of Levantes and much prefer Van Hools so for me I am currently more drawn towards Flixbus over National Express (NX) for travel between Bristol and London. I am also fond of Turners as an operator. Both the use of Van Hools and Turners being an operator were a factor behind me making a switch from NX to Megabus for several years.

darloscott

More new routes starting next Thursday 20th...
Liverpool - London via a mixture of Chester or Warrington, and Birmingham.
Nottingham - London via Northampton
Stoke added into a selection of Manchester departures, and a few extra services on other routes including Leeds and Bristol from a quick look at the booking engine.

cnjb8

Established Member
Stoke added into a selection of Manchester departures, and a few extra services on other routes including Leeds and Bristol from a quick look at the booking engine.
Ah there's a Nottingham service now! Any mention of who will run these new services?

markymark2000

On Moderation
I can't see any extras for Bristol?

Northampton stop seems to not be bookable.

Leicester has an extra departure. Only serving Fosse Park though.

Liverpool - London via Chester I am excited for. Shame about no ticket sales Chester - Liverpool. The times aren't very good for people from Chester going to London.

I'm interested to see how big Flixbus gets using these existing operators. A lot of hotels will be needed with these operators. If they opted for some operators closer to the route extremities, they could have buses run 'home' each night. Hopefully they get an operator up North soon.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I saw a Manchester-bound Flixbus on the M56 today as I was heading to near Warrington, and what is likely to have been the same bus a couple of hours later on my way back to Stockport. It did look weird seeing one so close to home having seen them for years in Europe pre-COVID.

(It was heading down to London Victoria).

carlberry

Established Member
I am personally not a fan of Levantes and much prefer Van Hools so for me I am currently more drawn towards Flixbus over National Express (NX) for travel between Bristol and London. I am also fond of Turners as an operator. Both the use of Van Hools and Turners being an operator were a factor behind me making a switch from NX to Megabus for several years.
When did Turners operate Megabus?