• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying Scotsman centenary events/ discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

william.martin

On Moderation
Hi there, I think it is time that a thread should be created to talk about the flying Scotsmans big birthday.
Here are all of the events that I know of:

Feb 10 - unknown; Exhibition at national railway museum York featuring documents, photographs and story's from the archives.

Feb 11- Jun 17; Michael Mopurgos best birthday ever illustration at the Danum gallery, library and museum, Waterdale, Doncaster.

Mar 1- 25; Flying Scotsman at the east lancs railway

Apr 1-16; Flying Scotsman on display at the national railway museum, York. The public shall be allowed on to the footplate though the engine shall not be in steam.

Apr 1- unknown; Flying Scotsman virtual reality experience at National railway museum York and locomotion Shildon

April 30; Scotsman hauls the "Royal Duchy" railtour.

May 1- 24; Scotsman at Keighley and Worth valley railway.

Jun 7; Scotsman hauls the "Cardiff express" railtour

Jun 10; Scotsman hauls the "Cheshire man" railtour

Jun 17; Scotsman hauls the "Portsmouth flyer" railtour.

Jun 21; Scotsman hauls the "Salisbury express" railtour

Jun 24; Scotsman hauls the "Great Yarmouth flyer" railtour.

Jul 6, Aug 6 and Sep 10; Scotsman hauls "the Waverly" railtour.

Aug 14- 21; Bluebell railway visit.

Oct 20- Nov 5 Centenary festival at Locomotion Shildon, the Flying Scotsman shall be in light steam outside.

Please let me know if any events are missing, I shall edit this post as soon as possible.

Feel free too ask any questions, though I do not have access to TRUST so don't expect an immediate answer.

If I have put "unknown" as the end date, I shall change this to the correct date as soon as confirmed. I try to stay as up too date as possible although don't hesitate to let me know if you find out!

Kind regards, Will.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mike57

Established Member
Thanks, the NRM event at the begining of April is nearest to me, I imagine it will be busy (probably an understatement...) but at least I can keep my eyes peeled in case they introduce some sort of timed ticket arrangements or something.

william.martin

On Moderation
Thanks, the NRM event at the begining of April is nearest to me, I imagine it will be busy (probably an understatement...) but at least I can keep my eyes peeled in case they introduce some sort of timed ticket arrangements or something.
I shall be there but on holiday in Pickering - I will drive to Malton then catch a 68 into York.

Last edited:

mike57

Established Member
I shall be there but on holiday in Pickering - I will drive to Malton then catch a 68 into York.
I doubt it... Current December timetable changes seem to have the Scarbourough service picking up the stops between Huddersfeild and Manchester, the stops that are currently delivered by the Hull service, much to the annoyance of my wifes family who mainly live in Hull, I quote from Bro-in-Law "Transpennine ******* Express, more like Transpennine ******* Snail" after a recent journey to Manchester, another passenger lost to the railways. (He was delayed by about an hour outwards and 2hrs on return leg, it was absolutely rammed, even he thinks leaving people behind and stopped at every 'wayside halt'.)

So I assume Scarborough will be 185 operated. However based on current TPE performance I wonder how much of this will happen. I will get train from home, its a no brainer for an NRM visit, and if TPE are still in meltdown/striking I will use Coastliner bus, as trying to get parked around the NRM when busy is well nigh impossible. You can use park and ride, but to be honest it doesn't save anything over public transport all the way.

E100

Any idea if anything is happening in Edinburgh tomorrow. Noticed that it's currently up there and tomorrow is the 100 year anniversary

Any idea if anything is happening in Edinburgh tomorrow. Noticed that it's currently up there and tomorrow is the 100 year anniversary

If you were to go to platform 2 at Waverley tomorrow approx 09:40 for 3 hours it'll probably be parked there.

I had the lovely surprise of seeing "Flying Scotsman" heading south this afternoon and she looked and sounded sublime. Happy Birthday Flying Scotsman!

Full size images are on my Flickr at link below.

RF 2023.02.24 - 5Z46 1252 Edinburgh to Bury East Lancs Railway - 2.jpgRF 2023.02.24 - 5Z46 1252 Edinburgh to Bury East Lancs Railway.jpg

xotGD

Established Member
By happy coincidence we have been invited for a meal in Ramsbottom this evening. So I might just happen to find myself in the vicinity of the station this afternoon as FS and 2999 pass through. :D

william.martin

On Moderation
By happy coincidence we have been invited for a meal in Ramsbottom this evening. So I might just happen to find myself in the vicinity of the station this afternoon as FS and 2999 pass through. :D
I hope so, check out the photo attached

Attachments

• IMG_20230318_165042.jpg
    IMG_20230318_165042.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39

Dave S 56F

2999 the Churchward Saint: Lady of Legend has apparently temporarily failed on saturday with a broken leaf spring and D 33109 as the replacement motive power. full confirmation of this on national preservation forums heritage railway news E.LR. 60103 and 2999 lady of legend event or facebook unofficial east lancs railway.

david l

Over 11000 passengers on 25 sold-out trains carried over 5 days. Does what it says on the tin!

chappers

I’ve got two train-mad little boys who I’ve promised I’ll take to see the Flying Scotsman as it does the “Great Yarmouth Flyer” on 24th June. I was planning to take it in on the return leg as it passes through Hertfordshire in the evening.

Excuse my ignorance, but will Flying Scotsman be leading the return leg as well at the outbound?

I know that timings for these trains can be shrouded in secrecy due to trespass incidents, but is there any way I can find out when it is scheduled for the Cambridge - Hitchin line so I can try and make two children very happy?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Excuse my ignorance, but will Flying Scotsman be leading the return leg as well at the outbound?
It should be. I think the diesel will haul the train from Norwich to Yarmouth to ensure FS is on the front for both the outward and return journeys ( the return misses Norwich station to facilitate that)

Timings wise nothing will be publicly available until, say, 24 hrs before the run.

PS Worth noting I saw FS at Milton Keynes last Saturday evening and the diesel on the back of the train was doing most of the work getting the train restarted from the station stop.

Established Member
PS Worth noting I saw FS at Milton Keynes last Saturday evening and the diesel on the back of the train was doing most of the work getting the train restarted from the station stop.

That’s a little disappointing!

Silver Cobra

I’ve got two train-mad little boys who I’ve promised I’ll take to see the Flying Scotsman as it does the “Great Yarmouth Flyer” on 24th June. I was planning to take it in on the return leg as it passes through Hertfordshire in the evening.

I know that timings for these trains can be shrouded in secrecy due to trespass incidents, but is there any way I can find out when it is scheduled for the Cambridge - Hitchin line so I can try and make two children very happy?

The only thing I wonder is if the Scotsman will definitely be travelling on that line, as the southern ECML will be closed for engineering works from Royston/St Neots towards Kings Cross on the 24th and 25th.

chappers

The only thing I wonder is if the Scotsman will definitely be travelling on that line, as the southern ECML will be closed for engineering works from Royston/St Neots towards Kings Cross on the 24th and 25th.
That’s interesting, as the route advertised (or at least what was published in the local paper back in January) was that way - but having had a look at Real Time Trains I can only see Royston-Ely services running which would explain that. I’ll try and do a bit more research and see what route is planned

EDIT - OK I can now see that it’s booked to run on Friday 23rd, not Saturday 24th as was originally reported. Good job I asked and checked otherwise I’d have been waiting around for a train that never passes!

Train Maniac

That’s interesting, as the route advertised (or at least what was published in the local paper back in January) was that way - but having had a look at Real Time Trains I can only see Royston-Ely services running which would explain that. I’ll try and do a bit more research and see what route is planned

EDIT - OK I can now see that it’s booked to run on Friday 23rd, not Saturday 24th as was originally reported. Good job I asked and checked otherwise I’d have been waiting around for a train that never passes!
Huh??! Why the sudden change of plan? Thats disappointing, was hoping to try and work it into a day out to the EOR steam gala :/

Status
Not open for further replies.