• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying To Cyprus

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

I have the chance of a winter break in Cyprus but flying with Easyjet. Only ever done short journeys with EJ. Can anv body tell what a journey of that distance is like with EJ.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It's about five hours in basic economy. You'll live, but it won't be fun. Cyprus is worth the journey though, so don't let that put you off. It is a wonderful and underrated place, and super in winter.

pitdiver

It's about five hours in basic economy. You'll live, but it won't be fun. Cyprus is worth the journey though, so don't let that put you off. It is a wonderful and underrated place, and super in winter.
I have been there a few times but not with EJ. However my trips were in the spring or sept. L ways found it too hot in summer. My first wife was born there, spoke the language so we never had any problems in fact her uncle worked for the immigration dept so we got treated as VIPs

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I have the chance of a winter break in Cyprus but flying with Easyjet. Only ever done short journeys with EJ. Can anv body tell what a journey of that distance is like with EJ.

I've done it from Berlin, at a shade under 4 hours. It's perfectly fine, the only issue is that flying from the UK, you have to contend with the fact that you'll step off the plane 7 hours after you started due to the time change. Easyjet are generally good with not ramming sales down your throat, and if you take an afternoon/evening flight, it'll be quite quiet. Winter flights also have the advantage of being mostly older tourists or families, so you don't have drunks making the flight unbearable.

Cyprus in winter is wonderful, as it can be warm enough to swim if you get lucky with the weather. I was swimming in Ayia Napa in December, for instance!

TheEdge

Established Member

I managed to do it once when British Airways flew Heathrow - Larnaca with a B767 and it was just so much more pleasant than the Thomas Cook A320 I'd flown on before.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I managed to do it once when British Airways flew Heathrow - Larnaca with a B767 and it was just so much more pleasant than the Thomas Cook A320 I'd flown on before.
Those 767s were great, nice leather seats and good seat pitch, especially if you got up front with the improved legroom.

trainmania100

Established Member
Does easyJet have the TVs on the back of the seats like British Airways? I managed to kill some time fiddling with the Primary Flight Display / map and the tv shows. I liked how it showed time to destination and distance as well.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Does easyJet have the TVs on the back of the seats like British Airways? I managed to kill some time fiddling with the Primary Flight Display / map and the tv shows. I liked how it showed time to destination and distance as well.

No, nothing like that. But if you have access to a window, you can easily get the GPS to work on your phone and so you can see where you currently are. There are apps available that will tell you your direction, speed, etc too.

richw

Veteran Member
I have no issues with EJ or Ryanair if the flight prices reflect the lower standard of service and comfort. It’s all putting into perspective based on how much you’ve paid and having realistic expectations

zero

BA doesn't have seat back TVs on the aircraft it uses to Cyprus.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I have no issues with EJ or Ryanair if the flight prices reflect the lower standard of service and comfort. It’s all putting into perspective based on how much you’ve paid and having realistic expectations

I've flown three times to Spain in the last 8 months. I can't say I noticed any difference whatsoever between Ryanair, Easyjet, Swiss and Lufthansa. Probably the only big plus was that Swiss had free wifi on the Zurich-Malaga leg, whereas Ryanair and Easyjet seem to have decided that it's not worth installing on the planes.

cactustwirly

Established Member
BA tend to put its A320Neos on the longer routes, such as Cyprus, Greece etc.
They have the same seats and pitch as easyJet in their A320s. The experience will be similar regardless of airline

The older EUxx A320s are much nicer, but tend to be on shorter routes such as Berlin etc.

WestCoast

Established Member
BA tend to put its A320Neos on the longer routes, such as Cyprus, Greece etc.
They have the same seats and pitch as easyJet in their A320s. The experience will be similar regardless of airline

The older EUxx A320s are much nicer, but tend to be on shorter routes such as Berlin etc.

Well, the BA A320NEOs and A321NEOs have a rather odd configuration where the first 10-15 rows or so have the more comfortable economy seating with headrest etc used on the older BA fleet and then the lightweight seats that easyJet use on their aircraft further back. This means that Club Europe passengers have a slightly better experience although depending on how far back the curtain goes, the first rows of economy may get it. However, I think Cyprus is a popular route Club Europe cabin size will probably not allow this.

I've flown three times to Spain in the last 8 months. I can't say I noticed any difference whatsoever between Ryanair, Easyjet, Swiss and Lufthansa. Probably the only big plus was that Swiss had free wifi on the Zurich-Malaga leg, whereas Ryanair and Easyjet seem to have decided that it's not worth installing on the planes.

This is true for me, I see very little difference now between basic economy on the legacy airlines and the budget/holiday carriers at least in terms of inflight experience (ground experience may well be different). Ironically, I find the newer seats on the Ryanair 737s some of the comfiest seats offered short-haul :lol:

Cloud Strife

Established Member
This is true for me, I see very little difference now between basic economy on the legacy airlines and the budget/holiday carriers at least in terms of inflight experience (ground experience may well be different). Ironically, I find the newer seats on the Ryanair 737s some of the comfiest seats offered short-haul :lol:

I honestly can't see any difference whatsoever. Prices for tea/coffee are the same, the flights are often the same price, there's really nothing to differentiate them anymore on European journeys.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I honestly can't see any difference whatsoever. Prices for tea/coffee are the same, the flights are often the same price, there's really nothing to differentiate them anymore on European journeys.

I fly with BA because Heathrow is the closest airport to me, and T5 is a very civilized experience compared to Luton and Stansted. BA fares are only slightly more expensive than easyJet (can be just £40-50 each way)

TheEdge

Established Member

I'm sure I'd seen somewhere as part of the whole Covid recovery plan BA (at least) was planning on returning some of the legacy carrier services (light refreshments in the ticket price etc) back to their short haul network.

I fly with BA because Heathrow is the closest airport to me, and T5 is a very civilized experience compared to Luton and Stansted. BA fares are only slightly more expensive than easyJet (can be just £40-50 each way)

I will go out of my way to fly from Heathrow. It just feels special compared to any provincial airport.

zero

I'm sure I'd seen somewhere as part of the whole Covid recovery plan BA (at least) was planning on returning some of the legacy carrier services (light refreshments in the ticket price etc) back to their short haul network.

BA mainline offers a water bottle and a snack (usually crisps or biscuit) on short haul flights. This has been the case throughout the pandemic. Not sure exactly when it started but it was in place by July 2020. You still have to pay for tea or coffee (and there was a period when you even had to pre-book a cup of tea).

BA cityflyer has never stopped offering a free bar service including tea/coffee and soft drinks, though I think alcohol may not be available at breakfast time. (The refreshments may have been briefly suspended when covid was starting out.)

In 2018 a hot breakfast was still offered on cityflyer, although in 2019 for some destinations this had been enhanced to a filled pastry, and it's now just the snack on shorter routes. Longer routes used to receive a light lunch/dinner, but this has been enhanced to a sandwich.

The above refers to economy class - business class on all routes get a bigger meal and "unlimited" bar service.

Short-haul meals were differentiated by 4 distance bands although currently bands 1/2 and 3/4 have been combined; "long" routes are basically Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece although a few Spanish and Italian destinations don't count (also when LCY is closed for the weekend, European destinations from other airports such as EDI may be classed as "long", even though they would be classed as short from LCY).

cactustwirly

Established Member
BA mainline offers a water bottle and a snack (usually crisps or biscuit) on short haul flights. This has been the case throughout the pandemic. Not sure exactly when it started but it was in place by July 2020. You still have to pay for tea or coffee (and there was a period when you even had to pre-book a cup of tea).

BA cityflyer has never stopped offering a free bar service including tea/coffee and soft drinks, though I think alcohol may not be available at breakfast time. (The refreshments may have been briefly suspended when covid was starting out.)

In 2018 a hot breakfast was still offered on cityflyer, although in 2019 for some destinations this had been enhanced to a filled pastry, and it's now just the snack on shorter routes. Longer routes used to receive a light lunch/dinner, but this has been enhanced to a sandwich.

The above refers to economy class - business class on all routes get a bigger meal and "unlimited" bar service.

Short-haul meals were differentiated by 4 distance bands although currently bands 1/2 and 3/4 have been combined; "long" routes are basically Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece although a few Spanish and Italian destinations don't count (also when LCY is closed for the weekend, European destinations from other airports such as EDI may be classed as "long", even though they would be classed as short from LCY).

I have never seen biscuits.
I always get a packet of plain Tyrells crisps every time.

zero

I have never seen biscuits.
I always get a packet of plain Tyrells crisps every time.

BA mainline is usually Tyrells in my experience but I think I got biscuits at least once in 2021. On cityflyer you almost always get a choice, recently the crisps have been from British Crisp Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.