• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Food prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

Established Member
Normally I find that Marks & Spencer’s are more expensive, but their own brand bran flakes are 75p for 500g. Across the car park in Morrisons they are now £1.79 for 1 kg. The big out-of-town Tesco has own brand at 95p for 500g, Kelloggs at £3 for 1 kg.
That’s really good. I thought I’d done well in getting a 750g box of Sainsburys bran flakes for £1.20 today. It’s often easy to dismiss shops like M&S and Waitrose as being expensive but many of their own label items are very good quality at a reasonable price. I got a 500g box of Waitrose cornflakes last week for £1 which is less than half the price of Kellogg’s in many shops.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Elmlea cream, the price of which at the Coop which i used as my barometer for price rises, which had risen over 100% in a year (1.85 at it's highest) has now DROPPED back to 1.25. Absolute scenes.

Gloster

Established Member
Tiptree Seedless Raspberry Jam now £3.49: it was £2.60 eight months ago. A result of the dry summer or lack of pickers?

malc-c

Not so much of what's gone up this week, more of being ripped off (or someone as ASDA in the pricing department failed maths !).

Asda dentisticks for dogs. A pack of 7 medium priced at 95p a pack. Next to it was a "save money bulk box" of the same product priced at £3.20... Yeah right.... I picked up three packs of 7 and paid my £2.85 at the till ! Why would I pay 35p more for the cardboard box !!

Silver Cobra

Not so much of what's gone up this week, more of being ripped off (or someone as ASDA in the pricing department failed maths !).

Asda dentisticks for dogs. A pack of 7 medium priced at 95p a pack. Next to it was a "save money bulk box" of the same product priced at £3.20... Yeah right.... I picked up three packs of 7 and paid my £2.85 at the till ! Why would I pay 35p more for the cardboard box !!

Looking at the Asda website the box of dentisticks contains 28 sticks, so is the equivalent of four packs of 7 rather than three (so saving 60p rather than costing 35p more).

malc-c

Looking at the Asda website the box of dentisticks contains 28 sticks, so is the equivalent of four packs of 7 rather than three (so saving 60p rather than costing 35p more).
:oops: - so right...seems I need to do a refresher course !

johntea

Established Member
I see Tesco have launched a new £5 ‘premium’ meal deal

Basically it’s just posher brands of sandwiches and salads!

david1212

Established Member
On the radio as I was driving home, so I can not link to a source, stated that food inflation was 17% with dairy the group of products with the biggest rise.

DannyMich2018

Once again Poundland for some items totally beats supermarkets for some items!! Fox's Party Rings, still only 50p (1.25 Co-Op!), Heinz Sandwich Spead £1.50 (as much as in £2.15 Sainsbury's), Daddies brown sauce 400g £1, up to £2 in Asda, Sainsbury's. Also Branston 395g Spaghetti just 50p!!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Once again Poundland for some items totally beats supermarkets for some items!! Fox's Party Rings, still only 50p (1.25 Co-Op!), Heinz Sandwich Spread £1.50 (as much as in £2.15 Sainsbury's), Daddies brown sauce 400g £1, up to £2 in Asda, Sainsbury's. Also Branston 395g Spaghetti just 50p!!
Not that it really matters in terms of quality, but I'd be checking the best before dates on those items!

DannyMich2018

Not that it really matters in terms of quality, but I'd be checking the best before dates on those items!
I've already and they are long, Oct 23 Spaghetti, Sandwich spread April 2024, Party Rings September 2023, Brown Sauce March 2024 so no probs :)

Butts

Veteran Member
The really annoying thing for me is they have Nescafe 300g Jars advertised at £5.50 but never seem to have any in stock.

However I did get some 6 packs of Golden Wonder Crisps for £1 which is a good price these days for a Brand Name.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The really annoying thing for me is they have Nescafe 300g Jars advertised at £5.50 but never seem to have any in stock.

However I did get some 6 packs of Golden Wonder Crisps for £1 which is a good price these days for a Brand Name.

Not everything has increased though. Scaremongering in part by the media.

davehsug

I have to say I was truly shocked to see 240 PG teabags priced at £6.25 in Morrisons this morning. Yes, that's right £6.25! They must have a death wish

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I have to say I was truly shocked to see 240 PG teabags priced at £6.25 in Morrisons this morning. Yes, that's right £6.25! They must have a death wish
£4.79 in Tesco on 'Aldi price match' offer.

Buy the box of 160 from Morrisons instead - on offer at £3.65 so cheaper per bag (£4.17 would be the price for 2/3 of a 240 box). Yorkshire Tea n offer at £5.50 reduced from £8.25! for 240.

Gloster

Established Member
Considering some of the ‘revelations’ about various types of exploitation on tea plantations, have you considered buying Fairtrade, where there is at least a chance of such being prevented? I buy Co-op Fairtrade teabags, which I think are reasonably cheap, although possibly not the cheapest.

Yes, I know I am a liberal softie with too much money, but I do what I can. At least I am not like a friend’s mother many years ago who would never drink PGTips, even asking in cafes what brand they used, as she didn’t want something that had been touched by chimps.

takno

Established Member
Considering some of the ‘revelations’ about various types of exploitation on tea plantations, have you considered buying Fairtrade, where there is at least a chance of such being prevented? I buy Co-op Fairtrade teabags, which I think are reasonably cheap, although possibly not the cheapest.

Yes, I know I am a liberal softie with too much money, but I do what I can. At least I am not like a friend’s mother many years ago who would never drink PGTips, even asking in cafes what brand they used, as she didn’t want something that had been touched by chimps.
The co-op fair trade stuff tastes pretty bad. Although the plastic-free glue on PG Tips now means that half the tea bags fall apart for me. Meanwhile there is zero consistency in pricing so you have to shop around even for the same tea. I'm sorely tempted to just stop drinking it altogether, particularly now the chimps have sold the company

DelW

Established Member
For me, loose tea is the way to go. Sainsbury's does a range of half a dozen types of black tea which I like and which claim fair trade compliance, at under £2 for 125g. It also avoids using the plastic mesh that's in a lot of bags.

I normally use an infuser teapot, but if you prefer a quick bag-in-the-mug brew, there are also dunk in the cup infusers - I have one that came from Whittard's, which is like an openable steel mesh teabag. There are cheap reusable plastic mesh versions too, but I don't know how long they'd last.

The used tea leaves go under my camellia bush, which a gardener friend claims is good for it, though the jury's still out on that!

davehsug

£4.79 in Tesco on 'Aldi price match' offer.

Buy the box of 160 from Morrisons instead - on offer at £3.65 so cheaper per bag (£4.17 would be the price for 2/3 of a 240 box). Yorkshire Tea n offer at £5.50 reduced from £8.25! for 240.
£3.99 in B & M, it's where I usually buy them anyway, I was just so shocked at the Morrisons price.

DelayRepay

Established Member

My family never drank PG Tips. It wasn't because we thought chimps had touched the tea, it was because we thought dressing chimps up in human clothing to make TV adverts constituted animal cruelty.

Butts

Veteran Member
My family never drank PG Tips. It wasn't because we thought chimps had touched the tea, it was because we thought dressing chimps up in human clothing to make TV adverts constituted animal cruelty.

That's nothing, they used to smoke cigarettes' in a lot of zoos in days gone by !!

DannyMich2018

Picked up a few All day breakfast Fray Bentos pies from Poundland the other day at the insanely low price of £1, 2024 dated, the other types were £2, still awesome value as types are all £3 at Asda etc!!

Ediswan

Established Member
Picked up a few All day breakfast Fray Bentos pies from Poundland the other day at the insanely low price of £1, 2024 dated, the other types were £2, still awesome value as types are all £3 at Asda etc!!
Didn't realise they were still a thing.

A while ago, in university halls, somebody had cooked (boiled) a Fray Bentos pudding. Trouble was, they had not made a hole in the can. When they did make a hole, much of the contents of the can promptly relocated up to the kitchen ceiling.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I noticed when in Sainsburys in the Lordshill area of Southampton that the price of a 6 pack of diet lemonade 330ml cans has jumped to £2 from £1.65 (the 6 pack of cloudy lemonade and another 6 pack were still £1.65). Also 10p on the price of 2 litre bottles of fizzy flavoured pop (Orange/Cherry) (90p instead of 80p)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
'Poundland' or 'Poundshop' (or is that essentially the same outfit)?

P S. Product is currently not that competitively priced at £3.25 at Morrisons, apparently.

Herefordian

Don't know if it's been mentioned. Apologies if it has.

Aldi Essentials Baked Beans, up to 27p from 22p.

Still much better value than Heinz. And nicer, I think.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I noticed when in the Morrisons at Northampton earlier that they have joined the likes of Tesco, Boots & some Co-Ops in having the cheaper meal deal available only if you have a "My Morrisons" card. £3,50 with the card but £4,00 without.

Just a pain as it's another 'loyalty' scheme I will need to sign up for when I have infrequent trips to Morrisons when exploring. (A first world problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.