• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Food prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
Well I was led to believe frozen food was generally cheaper... but now know different, and yes I'm betting it will taste a lot better too
In this case the frozen version is a lot less popular and arguably slightly harder to manufacture. Fresh mince also has a pretty good shelf life since it's packed in a protective atmosphere. The only real benefit to frozen mince is that it's easier to use a single portion without having half a pack of mince going off in the fridge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Interesting. ASDA have a 600g bag of frozen lean mince beef for £5.00. Their lean 500g pack of fresh lean mince beef is £3.75. Now if my calculations are correct that would mean a 600g of fresh lean mince would cost £4.50. So buying fresh and freezing it is not only cheaper, it's probably healthier.

Why would fresh mince be healthier?

In this case the frozen version is a lot less popular and arguably slightly harder to manufacture. Fresh mince also has a pretty good shelf life since it's packed in a protective atmosphere. The only real benefit to frozen mince is that it's easier to use a single portion without having half a pack of mince going off in the fridge.

Presumably that depends on how easy it is to separate out portions of the frozen mince or whether it tends to be all frozen together (I've never bought any so I don't know whether it is easy to separate?). If it was me and I'd just bought some fresh mince and couldn't use it all, I'd take what I needed and then simply freeze the rest (possibly also separating the rest into smaller portions and putting them in separate bags before freezing).

davehsug

Morrisons Microwave Basmati rice. A few weeks ago 39p (not an offer). 2 weeks ago 49p today 65p.

Trackman

Established Member
Morrisons Microwave Basmati rice. A few weeks ago 39p (not an offer). 2 weeks ago 49p today 65p.
65p for Asda's Basmati rice, I'm sure it was only about 40p a few weeks ago. What else am I am going to buy?, I just click it knowing I'm not paying over the odds for some branded microwave rice were Asda's do a similar good job. .. well ...

malc-c

Once open, just split the remainder into portion sizes and place in zip seal bags and freeze - no waste

TravelDream

With mince, I usually cook the whole pack and batch freeze (or refrigerate) extras. Much easier that way and saves so much time through the week. I actually prefer some things the second time!

Status
Not open for further replies.