• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Food/snacks/drinks you miss and would like back

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
While we're on the subject of Lucozade, does anyone remember Ferguzade? I vaguely recall it from my early childhood; my mum and I spent a year living with my grandparents and my mum's two younger sisters and I have a very faint, but distinct, memory of it being dished out when there was some kind of illness going around.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJS76

Fuse bars
Maverick bars
Toffos (banana flavour please)
We were having a discussion about Fuse and Maverick at work recently and no one else seemed to remember them. I also used to love a Drifter but these were discontinued a few years ago. Now all we seem to get is various different flavours / varieties of Dairy Milk and Kit Kat. I blame the Americans!

Arrpi87

The McD's breakfast wrap (with no sauce thankyou very much). It's a travesty it was stopped. And the signature range of burgers, particularly the bbq one.

I miss there being coffee flavour chocolates in tubs of Roses. As a kid I always picked them out first.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
While we're on the subject of Lucozade, does anyone remember Ferguzade? I vaguely recall it from my early childhood; my mum and I spent a year living with my grandparents and my mum's two younger sisters and I have a very faint, but distinct, memory of it being dished out when there was some kind of illness going around.
A regional (Scottish?) alternative to 'Lucozade' and manufactured in the Forfar area and possibly also in Manchester, but doubt that any will have been produced for a long, long time, possibly not since the late 1960's.

"Ferguzade the drink that sparkles with the goodness of glucose...

...Look out for the tartan label and remember the name!"

was its advertising strapline.

gg1

Established Member
On the subject of McDonalds, a very recent loss is the Chicken Legend, it's been replaced by a new chicken burger with the incredibly dull topping of iceberg lettuce and mayonnaise.

ChrisC

Established Member
+1 for the Lucozade thing. All the fault of the "sugar tax", or rather of Smithkline Beecham's rather counterintuitive response to the "sugar tax".

As someone with diabetes, Lucozade was a very useful way of treating low blood sugar. I can understand the motivation of wanting to reduce the amount of sugars that children consume in fizzy drinks, but Lucozade was always intended as a different beast- the clue is in the name!
I‘m old enough to remember the days when Lucozade came in glass bottles wrapped in orange cellophane. It was always more expensive than other fizzy drinks and many only had it when they were ill, very much the same as it used to be with grapes. Apparently, when Beechams acquired the the brand in 1938, as a British pharmaceutical company, it was marketed as an energy drink for the sick. I can remember its advertising slogan as being ‘Lucazade aids recovery’. Until the 1980’s when it started to be marketed more as a sports drink it was mainly just sold in pharmacies. I can only remember my parents getting me some when I had the flu very badly as a teenager in the 1970’s and I am sure it tasted very different in those days.

DelW

Established Member
As someone with diabetes, Lucozade was a very useful way of treating low blood sugar. I can understand the motivation of wanting to reduce the amount of sugars that children consume in fizzy drinks, but Lucozade was always intended as a different beast- the clue is in the name! I suppose one good thing about the changes is that I'm no longer restricted to diet coke at fast food places.
I agree with this! My partner is diabetic, and occasionally if she miscalculates her insulin, her blood sugar crashes and I have to sort her out, needing lots of sugar quickly.
Irn Bru or Coca Cola is usually her preferred method, but these days it can take up to three cans to get her back down to planet Earth, which has other unwanted side effects. A return of the full sugar variety would be very welcome!
One I miss is a pub snack called Cheese Moments, sold from cards like scampi fries and bacon fries are, so presumably the same makers. They contained a sort of semi liquid cheese which I think had never seen a cow, but they were strangely moreish if probably very unhealthy.

jfollows

Established Member
I certainly don't miss Lucozade; the only time I ever had it was a few years ago for a glucose tolerance test in which you're given a large amount of readily digestible sugar in the form of a measured amount of Lucozade and have then to sit and do as little as possible for two hours (you can't go for a walk), after which they take blood samples for the second time and see how your body copes. Yuk, horrible stuff. I think the GP complained that the newer version isn't usable any more for this purpose. The end result was that I'm below the threshold for being "diabetic" so that's good.

Farigiraf

On the subject of McDonalds, a very recent loss is the Chicken Legend, it's been replaced by a new chicken burger with the incredibly dull topping of iceberg lettuce and mayonnaise.
The new one (McCrispy or McCrunchy I think) is almost 3x the price of the chicken sandwich, and it's basically the same thing. At least the Chicken Legend had a unique recipe and shape.

SteveM70

Established Member
Chocolate Angel Delight (or Instant Whip) - One shop around here occasionally has the only flavour of Angel Delight that didn't actually make you want to barf. Everyone else stocks strawberry (which was passable) and caramel, which was probably the worst offender

Butterscotch was the worst, certainly in mine and my sister's opinions

jon81uk

The new one (McCrispy or McCrunchy I think) is almost 3x the price of the chicken sandwich, and it's basically the same thing. At least the Chicken Legend had a unique recipe and shape.
McCrispy is the same shape as the old Chicken Legend in my opinion, its proper unprocessed chicken breast in a crispy coating, whereas the Legand was more of a batter.

Not sure where you are going with it at 3x the price. For central London its £5.59 for McCrispy or £4.59 for McChicken, I think the extra £1 is worth it to avoid the processed chicken. The tiny Chicken Mayo on the saver menu is £1.39 but the battered chicken is tiny, barely any meat. Altough probably better value to get three of Mayo Chicken than one McChicken for the same money. The McCrispy is still better as its the proper chicken. Also a lot cheaper than KFC now.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Butterscotch was the worst, certainly in mine and my sister's opinions
Angel Delight, Butterscotch flavour, is still widely available, isn't it? (So, technically, is out of scope for the purpose of this thread). Actually, quite liked the stuff.

SteveM70

Established Member
Still widely available, isn't it? (So, technically, out of scope for the purpose of this thread).

No idea, as I've got older I've developed an aversion to overly sweet, synthetic tasting foods, so I've never looked for it. I was just stunned that someone who remembers the hell of 1970s desserts could think anything other than butterscotch was the worst flavour of angel delight :lol:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I was just stunned that someone who remembers the hell of 1970s desserts could think anything other than butterscotch was the worst flavour of angel delight :lol:
Banana flavour 'Angel Delight' isn't (wasn't) particularly nice, to be fair, neither is/was chocolate. Apparently, there are quite a few discontinued 'Angel Delight' flavours as well, including coffee, bubblegum, tangerine, pop corn, candy floss and butter mint, but they all seem to have passed me by. Probably discontinued for a reason!

jon81uk

YES. This. When did it go? I haven't seen it for at least five years.
Stopped in 2015 apparently.

My guess is it was following the Kraft-Heinz merger, they decided to concentrate on savoury foods only. All the sweet/snacking parts of Kraft became Mondelez of course.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I agree with this! My partner is diabetic, and occasionally if she miscalculates her insulin, her blood sugar crashes and I have to sort her out, needing lots of sugar quickly.
Irn Bru or Coca Cola is usually her preferred method, but these days it can take up to three cans to get her back down to planet Earth, which has other unwanted side effects. A return of the full sugar variety would be very welcome!
One I miss is a pub snack called Cheese Moments, sold from cards like scampi fries and bacon fries are, so presumably the same makers. They contained a sort of semi liquid cheese which I think had never seen a cow, but they were strangely moreish if probably very unhealthy.
Since the sugar tax came in, Appletiser or plain old fruit juice has been the sugary drink of choice. Attempting to use (very small) financial disincentives to prevent bad parents from filling their offspring with sugar was an utterly stupid idea, but that's for another thread.

PeterY

Established Member
Chocolate. I don't know what happened to Dairy Milk - or maybe it's my taste - but I'm sure it isn't the same as it used to be (and Wispas are insipid these days). I know there was always "another" Cadbury milk chocolate which was used to keep costs down on coated products (e.g. Crunchie), but I'm sure Wispas and Creme Eggs used to be made from actual CDM. Then again, we mostly stopped buying it after the betrayal of a takeover, and my moan about icecream with bits in it applies here too. We still avoid buying Nestlé products having been supporters of the Baby Milk Action campaign many moons ago, but I can honestly say there isn't anything from their ranges that I've missed.
Since the Yanks (Americans) took over at Cadbury's, I'm convinced they changed the recipe. I can no longer eat Cadbury's chocolate. If I do eat anything by Cadbury's my stomach sounds like wine being fermented :'(

Bayum

Established Member
Salt and Vinegar Quavers. Were brought back and then taken away again.

nlogax

Established Member
Back on the Tangerine Sours train I've found a UK version which neatly sidesteps the expensive and unshippable US option.

https://traditionalsweets.com/product/tangerine-sours-50g-pocket-tin/

Simpkins Mouthwateringly Tangerine sours , deliver a strong ,penetrating and Long lasting taste explosion .Crafted by traditional methods and using only All Natural colours and flavours ensures you are experiencing the finest sour product on the market.

Minimum of £20 per order but I have no issue with buying ten tins. Let's see if they properly emulate those Altoids classics.

Edit: bought a couple of tins via that Bezos chap. Just in case they turn out to be complete dreck.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A regional (Scottish?) alternative to 'Lucozade' and manufactured in the Forfar area and possibly also in Manchester, but doubt that any will have been produced for a long, long time, possibly not since the late 1960's.

"Ferguzade the drink that sparkles with the goodness of glucose...

...Look out for the tartan label and remember the name!"

was its advertising strapline.
When I was a lad, local shops round Huddersfield sold "Bensade" which was a knock-off Lucozade made by local firm Ben Shaw's.

Other items in their line-up were Yellow Lemonade, and their version of "American Cream Soda", which was sold either in 500ml cans with an eagle motif on the side which made the older generations panic that young kids were drinking beer... or in glass deposit bottles which were often sold in Fish & Chip shops. The bottled version of Cream Soda had green colouring in it for some reason.

Sugar tax forced Irn-Bru to reduce sugar, but they brought out Irn-Bru 1901 sometime later (wonder if this is the original pre-sugar tax version). Cadbury chocolate bars also got smaller than previously, and I think the recipe got changed because of the Mondelez takeover several years ago.

You probably have noticed that in many food products, they usually say “No artificial flavours, No artificial preservatives, No artificial colours”, usually with an obligatory tick beside each sentence. No wonder why our foods are not as tasty as they used to.

Businessmen annoys us all!

D1511

Just looking back on things I miss, some which ain’t totally gone but at least have had there ingredients changed.

two of biggest ones for me that I often crave, and when I have I’m always let down are Lucozade original, and Irn Bru. Both have had significant amounts of sugar removed and just ain't the same no more.

keen to hear what things others miss!
Up here in Scotland we still have 'original and unimproved' Irn Bru available in the old school rippled glass bottles. They occasionally turn up in Lidl stores elsewhere in the country.....
@Ashley Hill we also still have your fizzy limeade, also made by Barr's!

route101

Established Member
Ready Salted Chipsticks
Beef Squares
Cadbury Snaps (Lidl sell Choco Thins as part of their Mister Choc range though, these are the closest thing I've found to Snaps anywhere)
Mini Pringles
Highlander Crisps (I badly miss the Salt & Ground Pepper flavour)
Willy Wonka Chocolate Bars (those made to promote the 2005 Johnny Depp remake, so they ain't likely to ever make a comeback)
I remember Highlander Crisps and the Bacon and Brown Sauce flavour which you only got one bag in a multipack.

Try M&S for Mackies crisps. I got the Tomato flavour out of one.

Ladder23

Established Member
One for the Scottish people!

McCowans chew bars, believe they made highland toffee, irn bru bars before wham took over and produced an entirely different bar altogether, and black and red bars?

All amazing, miss those a lot! Maybe the cause for my fillings growing up but never mind.

Attachments

• IMG_8575.jpeg
    IMG_8575.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8574.jpeg
    IMG_8574.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 9

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Unfortunately McCowans (the original makers of 'Highland Toffee', 'Wham Bars', 'Irn Bru Bars' and various others) went out of business over a decade ago, and their factory, located next to the football ground at Stenhousemuir FC, has since been demolished. Fairly sure the brand names were subsequently bought up by Tangerine Confectionery Ltd., a Blackpool-based firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.