• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Foot crossings and CCTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Do all foot crossing have CCTV? Certainly on the Southern network, I've never seen any unless they are purposely hidden?

The reason i ask is I saw this news article today and that CCTV is very good.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternBiker

They don't - a lot are in rural areas, and have low levels of usage. (Does anyone know what proportion of pedestrian-only crossings are equipped with CCTV?)

But this video is indeed shocking: I hope the children concerned are being identified and followed up. I feel very sorry for the drivers of the trains concerned.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting that the article mentions level crossings but the video shows a foot crossing

And that foot crossing is definately not fit for purpose !
AIUI foot crossings are a subset of level crossings. When Network Rail mention reducing the number of level crossings they’re including them in the overall numbers…

Dunnideer

Do all foot crossing have CCTV? Certainly on the Southern network, I've never seen any unless they are purposely hidden?

Some foot crossings have covert cameras to monitor misuse and to record a use census for the risk assessment. These will be temporary installations and are not part of the crossing equipment. If there are covert cameras there has to be a notice displayed to advise the public of the fact, just like with any other CCTV system.

ricoblade

As a happy user of rural and obscure foot crossings cycling and on foot, mainly in North Notts and South Yorks, I don't think I've ever noticed any CCTV on them.

Mikey C

Established Member
As a happy user of rural and obscure foot crossings cycling and on foot, mainly in North Notts and South Yorks, I don't think I've ever noticed any CCTV on them.
Same here, and that's with rural crossings in Kent, Bucks etc Being well away from population centres, I guess the risk of children playing on them is very low.

Annetts key

Established Member
Depends on the purpose of the CCTV.

For misuse, another person has already described this.

For operational purposes, only full barrier crossings where there is no signal box or crossing keepers box will have CCTV. The purpose of the CCTV is purely so that the controlling signaller or crossing keeper can see that the crossing is clear, and hence safe for trains to travel across the crossing.

TheEdge

Established Member
And that foot crossing is definately not fit for purpose !

In what way?

Its got SPTs to alert signaling staff to an issue, its got barriers and signage to stop people running onto it without looking and has a flat well defined surface to walk across.

If morons are morons who misuse crossings, that isn't the crossing at fault, that's the moron at fault.

MarkyT

Established Member
If morons are morons who misuse crossings, that isn't the crossing at fault, that's the moron at fault.
Still horrific for all involved in a resultant incident, those who have to clean up and investigate, and a source of significant disruption. Then there's the complexity of legal liability. That's why a lot of minor crossings have been getting warning lights and gate locks, where they can't be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.