• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football: ‘own goal’ hatricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanburyBlue

Tonight in the Liverpool vs Leicester City game, both the Liverpool goals were own goals by the same unfortunate player, Wout Faes. Now, if he had scored a 3rd own goal, would it have been classed as a hatrick, and would he have been presented with the match ball?

tongue in cheek post - I’m guessing he wouldn’t have wanted the match ball.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
It can be done:

New Zealand defender Meikayla Moore scores hat-trick of own goals in SheBelieves cup.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Great - so did he get the match ball?
She. And I doubt it, she was subbed off. Also note that’s a perfect hat trick, left foot, right foot, header.

Sadly one thing which brings down her achievement is all the own goals were bad, and scored by a sheer lack of ability. Own goals are much funnier when they are unlucky and scored by an icon of the game with excellent technical skills.

johnnychips

Established Member
I wonder if there are many players who have scored an own goal, then compensated for it by scoring a goal for their own team?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I wonder if there are many players who have scored an own goal, then compensated for it by scoring a goal for their own team?
This is not uncommon. In fact it’s happened in an FA Cup Final in 1981. Tommy Hutchison scored both goals in the final which ended 1-1 between Spurs and Man City.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Chris Nicholl scored twice for Aston Villa in a top flight Division One match at Filbert Street against Leicester City in March 1976. He'd also scored two own goals in the very same 2-2 draw.

Sam Wynne (Oldham Athletic) also scored four goals (two at each end) in a 3-2 Division Two home win at Boundary Park against Manchester United in October 1923.

Howardh

Established Member
Today's totally useless information; you can't score an "own goal" at (field) hockey! For a goal to count, the ball must, at some point, have been played by an attacker in the "D". So if I hit the ball, and it's heading towards the car-park as usual, but a defender slices it into the net, it's my goal even though it was going nowhere near!

Maybe football should introduce that to save the embarrassment of the defender! Although you CAN score an own goal and the opposition don't get anywhere near the ball - ie. from a kick-off.

On Moderation
PSG’s Marquinhos did it the other way round a few days ago: scored at the right end, then at the wrong end. Fortunately for him an Mbappé penalty spared his blushes.

JamesT

Established Member
Today's totally useless information; you can't score an "own goal" at (field) hockey! For a goal to count, the ball must, at some point, have been played by an attacker in the "D". So if I hit the ball, and it's heading towards the car-park as usual, but a defender slices it into the net, it's my goal even though it was going nowhere near!

Maybe football should introduce that to save the embarrassment of the defender! Although you CAN score an own goal and the opposition don't get anywhere near the ball - ie. from a kick-off.
I believe for English League football such a rule already exists, with the snappily titled Dubious Goals Committee adjudicating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubious_Goals_Committee
As a rule, if the initial attempt is goalbound it is credited to the player making the goal attempt. However if the deflection means that a wayward effort results in a goal then it is attributed to the player who had the last definitive touch of the ball.

PSG’s Marquinhos did it the other way round a few days ago: scored at the right end, then at the wrong end. Fortunately for him an Mbappé penalty spared his blushes.
So did Ward-Prowse earlier

Gemz91

fairly certain Michael Dubery once scored two own goals and a goal in the right net whilst playing for Oxford United. Left foot, right foot and a header too. No idea if he got the match ball or not though. Should imagine he wanted to forget the two own goals. The game finished 2-2 I believe.

Purple Train

Established Member
In 2003, Sunderland scored four goals against Charlton Athletic - the catch being that only one was scored in the correct net (a penalty) and three were own goals - one from Stephen Wright and two from Michael Proctor.

Purple Train

Established Member
This is not uncommon. In fact it’s happened in an FA Cup Final in 1981. Tommy Hutchison scored both goals in the final which ended 1-1 between Spurs and Man City.
Gary Mabbutt did exactly the same in the 1987 FA Cup Final - scoring for his own club Tottenham Hotspur and then scoring what proved to be the winning goal in extra-time for Coventry City.

Status
Not open for further replies.