• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Ostrich

Continuing the non-league theme, as a groundhopper now effectively restricted to Step 8 and below rather than my normal fayre of Steps 1-6 .... there's a lot to be said for the Yeovil and District League!

11 matches so far this season and an average of 5.55 goals a game :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
As a result of the implications of the Covid-19 virus, the Highland League say that their 2020/2021 season will only have 16 game weeks and the start date for fixtures will be Saturday, 17th October.
Initially it was meant to be the 17th, however it’s since been delayed to the 28th of November. They give the, fairly justifiable, reason that they don’t know how long they’d survive without fans, so don’t want to start without them.
I also read elsewhere that the Highland League has a very high rate of weather-related postponements during the winter, so a 16 game season is more realistic than the usual 32 games.
The start of the Highland League season has been delayed by at least six weeks amid a rise in Covid-19 cases.

A truncated 16-game campaign was scheduled to begin on 17 October, but clubs had made it clear they could not resume without fans.

The league has decided 28 November is the earliest possible start date after a return to partial crowds was postponed.

A decision on the precise start will be made at a meeting in November.

Representatives of the tier five and six divisions - the Highland, Lowland, West, East and South of Scotland leagues were consulted by the Joint Response Group last week on how long they believe they can survive without crowds.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Initially it was meant to be the 17th, however it’s since been delayed to the 28th of November. They give the, fairly justifiable, reason that they don’t know how long they’d survive without fans, so don’t want to start without them.

Thanks for updating the commencement date.

At least Fort William can say they are on one of their longest runs of not losing a match....:)

scotrail158713

Established Member
At least Fort William can say they are on one of their longest runs of not losing a match....:)
Indeed they can :)
Although I don’t think they did as awfully last season as usual. I seem to recall they took League 2 Albion Rovers to a replay in the 2nd round of the Scottish Cup.

Typhoon

Established Member
It seems like although the 'big clubs' are not having it all their own way on the pitch (1-6. 2-7), they want their own way off it! I have emphasised the parts I find most worrying. They are clearly trying to take advantage of the current pandemic and, maybe, move us more towards an American sports system. (Although I suggest and hope that "seismic" has been misused).
The biggest shake-up of English football in a generation is being proposed by Manchester United and Liverpool and it would see the number of teams in the top flight reduced from 20 to 18.

Sky News' sports correspondent Martha Kelner said the changes would be "seismic" and put the majority of the power into the hands of the biggest clubs.

The plan - called Project Big Picture - has been confirmed to Sky News, and was first reported in the Sunday Telegraph.

As well as a change in size, the new proposals would change the leagues finances and power system.

A quarter of the league's revenue would go to the English Football League, with £250m paid up front to help them through the coronavirus crisis..

The FA would also receive £100m as a gift.

A change in the power structure would mean an end to the one-club, one-vote system.

https://news.sky.com/story/premier...-english-football-in-major-shake-up-12101628

SteveM70

Established Member
Seems a very cynical piece of timing, trying to force change through by dangling the carrot of up front funding to the football league at a time when they need it most

Unless I’ve missed a bit, that article doesn’t say how many premier league teams have to vote for it. If it’s a simple majority they might just get it through, if it’s two-thirds surely it’ll fail because enough chairmen will see the reduction to 18 and think “that could be us”?

Typhoon

Established Member
Seems a very cynical piece of timing, trying to force change through by dangling the carrot of up front funding to the football league at a time when they need it most

Unless I’ve missed a bit, that article doesn’t say how many premier league teams have to vote for it. If it’s a simple majority they might just get it through, if it’s two-thirds surely it’ll fail because enough chairmen will see the reduction to 18 and think “that could be us”?
There is a piece on the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499998. The second emboldened line indicates not many - I cannot understand why six would be enough.

No date has been set for the proposed new-style league to be in operation but sources have suggested 2022-23 is not out of the question.

In order to get down from 20 to 18, it is anticipated four clubs would be relegated directly, with two promoted from the Championship. In addition, there would be play-offs involving the team to finish 16th in the Premier League and those in third, fourth and fifth in the second tier.

It is also planned that, as well as the 'big six', ever-present league member Everton, West Ham United and Southampton - ninth and 11th respectively in the list of clubs who have featured in the most Premier League seasons - would be granted special status.

If six of those nine clubs vote in favour of a proposal, it would be enough to get it passed.

There is no mention of Aston Villa and Newcastle United, both of whom have featured in more Premier League campaigns than Manchester City.
The concept of 'special' status' to me seems troubling. That is exactly half of the proposed new league. And all three of those to be added have had their moments courting relegation of late.

scotrail158713

Established Member
There is a piece on the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499998. The second emboldened line indicates not many - I cannot understand why six would be enough.

The concept of 'special' status' to me seems troubling. That is exactly half of the proposed new league. And all three of those to be added have had their moments courting relegation of late.
That’s ludicrous. This line in particular is crazy.
If six of those nine clubs vote in favour of a proposal, it would be enough to get it passed.
In what world is 6/20 clubs voting for something enough to allow it?

Trackman

Established Member
If anything they should put it back to 22.
What's behind it, bigger clubs get more revenue or something?

SteveM70

Established Member
What's behind it, bigger clubs get more revenue or something?

I’d hazard a guess at:

1 - an extension of the champions league will be along at some point and they want fewer pesky league fixtures against piddling little clubs

2 - whatever the “second europa league” is will mean more clubs playing in Europe

3 - and this is the big one - guaranteed they’ll put forward a proposal limiting relegation so the “protected” clubs can’t get relegated

So, in a word, money

Darandio

Established Member
In what world is 6/20 clubs voting for something enough to allow it?

Note that the 6 from 9 vote situation is if this whole thing went through and is applicable for voting in what would be a new era. To even get these new proposals off the ground then 14 of the 20 clubs need to approve it.

I completely disagree about a complete removal of the EFL cup though, this whole Premier League scheme shouldn't interfere with it. The clue is in the name, it's an EFL product and should be contested by EFL teams only. As the Europa League Conference will be starting, the EFL cup winner should get a place in it giving a potential lower division club having a European spot.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
I’d hazard a guess at:

1 - an extension of the champions league will be along at some point and they want fewer pesky league fixtures against piddling little clubs

2 - whatever the “second europa league” is will mean more clubs playing in Europe

3 - and this is the big one - guaranteed they’ll put forward a proposal limiting relegation so the “protected” clubs can’t get relegated

So, in a word, money
There are a fair few piddling little clubs in Europe, maybe they will be the next target. I'm not sure that NK Maribor or FK Vardar Skopje will draw the crowds in (or, more importantly, get them to sign up for a tv subscription).

One of the directors of my local Stop 4 club said "No one comes into football to make money"; it looks like he was wrong.

Note that the 6 from 9 vote situation is if this whole thing went through and is applicable for voting in what would be a new era. To even get these new proposals off the ground then 14 of the 20 clubs need to approve it.
That is positive. Hopefully the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Leeds together with the other teams who may do a Bournemouth will say no!

Darandio

Established Member
That is positive. Hopefully the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Leeds together with the other teams who may do a Bournemouth will say no!

Indeed, I can't quite see how at least five clubs would effectively throw away their voting rights by agreeing to it. I can see Aston Villa and Newcastle being against it purely on this basis, Man City get classed as protected for being one of the 'Big Six' and Everton, West Ham and Southampton get special status because of the number of seasons in the league. Yet Aston Villa and Newcastle have both had more seasons in the Premier League than Man City! It's a mess.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
We have beaten les Belges... and they only had a penalty versus our penalty plus goal!

SteveM70

Established Member
Another thought on this restructuring nonsense. Each premier league club gets a guaranteed basic 80m a season for the fixed share of the domestic and worldwide tv deals. (There’s other money based on the actual games shown live).

It’d be safe to assume that an 18 team league wouldn’t mean fewer games shown live, so the value of the tv deals shouldn’t decrease. (Inflation and competition may take it even higher, as might a higher proportion of live games having “big” teams)

But even without the tv deal getting bigger, there’s effectively 160m a season that currently goes to the 19th and 20th teams. No wonder they can afford a 100m “gift” to the FA!

Meole

The Premier League is too competitive and thus exhausts the players at the clubs with European aspirations, easier fixtures as in Spain, Italy, Germany are the answer to ensure fitness for the Champions League, reducing the income of clubs outside the big 6 or 9 should weaken those teams, the hope is that fans will gravitate to the big clubs and forget local team support.

Howardh

Established Member
I agree that relegates teams shouldn't have their parachute payment. I'm amazed that it's allowed to happen as it is, totally undermines the clubs in the league below; I would have thought it would have gone to court.

But at my level, North West Counties, Bury AFC share Radcliffe's ground and as far as I know, the money taken at the clubhouse during AFC games pays for the use of the pitch (ther rental if you like). If Boris closes down hospitality, that income's all but gone, and AFC will have to find another way to pay off their hosts.

So could covid mean two Bury clubs go under in the space of just over 18 months? Admittedly with such a large membership and shirt sales, AFC are probably in a better financial position than most non-league clubs. Stilla worry thought as there will have been a budget.

SteveM70

Established Member
Not very au fait with the "premier-style" major continental leagues in Europe, but how many clubs are there in the top divisions of Italy, Spain, France and Germany and how many of those leagues have an accredited winter break?

The Bundesliga is 18 teams, the other three are all 20

wireforever

It is a bit like the proposal to admit Celtic & Rangers a few seasons ago more money for the Premier League.Sky in private think they overpaid for current TV rights.The proposal to charge fans to stream the game live and the current PPV matches hope fans boycott both.There is a lot to be said for supporting non league teams as previous posters have mentioned.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
A bit of useless trivia ...

Tomorrow night, The New Saints play Connah's Quay Nomads at Park Hall in the League of Wales (behind closed doors).

Last Saturday, St Martins lost 3-0 to Cheadle Heath Nomads at Park Hall in the North West Counties League Division One (South) (att: 48, including yours sincerely).

What are the odds against two distinct "Saints vs Nomads" fixtures taking place on the same ground over four days involving four different clubs in two different leagues administered by two different countries?

(Last season there was a third team FC Oswestry Town, now defunct, sharing Park Hall)

SS4

Established Member
Indeed, I can't quite see how at least five clubs would effectively throw away their voting rights by agreeing to it. I can see Aston Villa and Newcastle being against it purely on this basis, Man City get classed as protected for being one of the 'Big Six' and Everton, West Ham and Southampton get special status because of the number of seasons in the league. Yet Aston Villa and Newcastle have both had more seasons in the Premier League than Man City! It's a mess.

The cynic in me is partial to think that this is a distraction attempt from the £15 per game PPV floated recently. The TV companies are going to pick the traditional top six so all the other fans (who have been starved of live football for years) will have to pay much more than those who are chosen. I would not blame people for finding other methods of watching. There is absolutely no reason why they can't stream all the games and let the viewer choose one to pick - as Amazon have proven. What really disappointed me is that everyone except Leicester voted in favour of it which basically confirmed that clubs care more about their money than the goodwill of their fans. They're probably making more money now than before not having to deal with fans in the stadiums anyway -especially since they seem to be holding onto the money from season ticket holders.

The PL get to shoot down the idea and get some positive press too

As for this latest shenanigan I wouldn't be surprised if the TV companies were behind it trying to ensure they get a bigger proportion of games. Sky and co have treated the big six as special for a long time too - when you hear United you don't think Sheffield or West Ham and I wouldn't be surprised if the other three teams wasn't designed to tempt them into agreeing only to shaft them at a later date or to get their foot in the door for more reforms. If they were truly for the good of the league then surely any vote would be unanimous anyway!

scotrail158713

Established Member
There is a lot to be said for supporting non league teams as previous posters have mentioned.
Absolutely. I’ve got a choice of about 6 live streamed games I could watch tonight - all being streamed free of charge. There’s an option to donate to the clubs if you want, something I’m happy to do, however it’s not mandatory, so it’s clear to see who really cares about fans.

———————————————————
NEW POST BELOW
———————————————————

A Scottish record was broken last night in Albion Rovers’ win over Stranraer in the league cup, as they scored all 15 of their penalties in a penalty shootout.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531357
Albion Rovers scored 15 consecutive penalties to edge out Stranraer in an incredible shoot-out.

Following a 2-2 draw at Stair Park, the Scottish League Cup tie went to spot-kicks, with Rovers prevailing 15-14.

After 28 successful conversions, Conor McManus crashed his second penalty of the evening against the crossbar, with Rovers captain Aron Lynas holding his nerve to earn his side a bonus point.

Both goalkeepers had earlier tucked away with their efforts.

It sets a new Scottish record but falls just shy of global fame.

The scoreline matches a shoot-out between Brockenhurst and Andover Town in a Hampshire Senior Cup tie played in October 2013 but on that occasion we had 29 successive penalties go in.

A dip into the archives suggests the longest shootout is 48 penalties with a 17-16 outcome in the 2005 Namibian Cup, while there are a couple of 20-19 results, one from the 1988 Argentine Championship and one from the 2015 Danish FA Cup.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
Looks like sense has been seen
Premier League clubs have "unanimously agreed" that 'Project Big Picture' will not be "endorsed or pursued".

The controversial plans, proposed by Liverpool and Manchester United, were rejected at a meeting of the 20 clubs in England's top flight on Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54545053

'unanimously' presumably means enough of the rest told Liverpool and Manchester United what to do with their proposal!

Darandio

Established Member
Looks like sense has been seen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54545053

'unanimously' presumably means enough of the rest told Liverpool and Manchester United what to do with their proposal!

A fairly predictable but sensible result.

I'd imagine they probably got near to fourteen other clubs against it, I cannot see the other four from the 'protected' top six being against it.

SteveM70

Established Member
If nothing else it shows how arrogant and out of touch Henry and Glazer are. They don’t even have a clue how their fellow premier league chairmen will react to their daft ideas

Typhoon

Established Member
If nothing else it shows how arrogant and out of touch Henry and Glazer are. They don’t even have a clue how their fellow premier league chairmen will react to their daft ideas
Perhaps they thought that overseas owners would follow their lead. Maybe the name of Vichal Srivaddanaprabha is unknown to them? At least it has shown there is some decency at the top in football after all (as well as a degree of self-interest).

d9009alycidon

Absolutely. I’ve got a choice of about 6 live streamed games I could watch tonight - all being streamed free of charge. There’s an option to donate to the clubs if you want, something I’m happy to do, however it’s not mandatory, so it’s clear to see who really cares about fans.

———————————————————
NEW POST BELOW
———————————————————

A Scottish record was broken last night in Albion Rovers’ win over Stranraer in the league cup, as they scored all 15 of their penalties in a penalty shootout.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531357

All that for a single bonus point :D