• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Surely 2011, whilst in charge of Aston Villa. Sad news, either way.
No he had his first set of heart problems in 2001 while managing Liverpool. It happened during the game when they were away playing Leeds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

youngiecj

So despite winning 2-0 in the 87th minute before the game was abandoned (rightly so). Boston now have to replay Darlington. Disgraceful decision by the national league.

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Chelsea - A quite terrific 2nd half saw The Old Gold's patience spectacularly pay off, with two extremely well taken finishes; one from Daniel Podence and a 95th winner from Pedro Neto, to clinch a 2nd comeback from 1-0 down, against The Blues at Molineux in 3 seasons!

Back into 10th, only 5 points off the top and even if 5 places down on where we were after 13 last season, we are one point better off than this stage in 2019/2020!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
The Premier League is to increase the number of substitutes on the bench from 7 to 9. That's 18 per game and 180 in total each game day. Is it any wonder that they are so bad at producing future England players when 180 players, including many talented youngsters, waste their weekends sitting idly on the bench when they should be playing football for clubs lower down the food chain? I sincerely hope that Sheffield United let Harry Boyes stay at Bradford for the rest of the season where he will get proper experience.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Premier League is to increase the number of substitutes on the bench from 7 to 9. That's 18 per game and 180 in total each game day. Is it any wonder that they are so bad at producing future England players when 180 players, including many talented youngsters, waste their weekends sitting idly on the bench when they should be playing football for clubs lower down the food chain? I sincerely hope that Sheffield United let Harry Boyes stay at Bradford for the rest of the season where he will get proper experience.
What's really absurd about that is that unlike every EFL division (and most European elite leagues) the EPL have refused to increase the number of permitted substitutions per game from the standard three due to the more intensive schedule under the COVID situation. Apparently the objection is that this will unfairly favour the bigger clubs... if that was their genuine concern, I'd suggest that the EPL have rather more pressing issues to address than the number of substitutes! :rolleyes:

SS4

Established Member
These new kick off times are throwing me off. I know why but I always seem to miss them. Here's hoping we put this game to bed early.

SteveM70

Established Member
So, Juergen Klopp is a massive hypocrite. Who knew?! All this bleating about needing 5 subs because his poor lambs are tired, and yesterday when 4-0 up he brought Salah on as sub whilst leaving youngsters who’d have benefitted from the experience sat on the bench.

Darandio

Established Member
So, Juergen Klopp is a massive hypocrite. Who knew?! All this bleating about needing 5 subs because his poor lambs are tired, and yesterday when 4-0 up he brought Salah on as sub whilst leaving youngsters who’d have benefitted from the experience sat on the bench.

Salah for Mane was a like for like sub, no youngster on the bench was available for that position and he was unlikely to change the system at 4-0 up. I'm not sure what you mean by "benefitted from the experience" either, each of the youngsters available on the bench have played in far bigger games than Palace away already this season.

SS4

Established Member
We don't make it easy on ourselves do we? Let's get another one for the goal difference

Established Member

I must have missed Curtis Jones coming on as a substitute in the 69th minute.

Burnley 2-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers - no excuses whatsoever for a dreadful performance from The Old Gold, with the home side taking there chances and a non-existent midfield. Spurs next on Sunday!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Draw for the Carabao Cup Semi-Finals

Tottenham Hotspur v Brentford

Manchester United v Manchester City

This year, these will only be single-leg matches on account of the unusual fixture congestion situations that prevail. Matches to be played week commencing 4th January 2021.

SS4

Established Member
Interesting that they are single legs and geographically close to each other although the latter was a 1 in 3 chance.

I thought these clubs had large squads to deal with fixture congestion or was that just an excuse?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Interesting that they are single legs and geographically close to each other although the latter was a 1 in 3 chance.

I thought these clubs had large squads to deal with fixture congestion or was that just an excuse?

This season being affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, it was the football authorities who deal with cup competitions in addition to the league programme who made the decision at the height of the pandemic to make single-legged semi finals in this competition, irrespective who qualified for the final four places. It was nothing whatsoever to do with any of the clubs.

SS4

Established Member
This season being affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, it was the football authorities who deal with cup competitions in addition to the league programme who made the decision at the height of the pandemic to make single-legged semi finals in this competition, irrespective who qualified for the final four places. It was nothing whatsoever to do with any of the clubs.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it was the club's decision nor that it was an incorrect decision given the pandemic.

It just makes me laugh when clubs hoard players and then moan about fixture congestion

scotrail158713

Established Member
I always smile when I hear about claims of fixture congestion. Nothing for me will beat Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale ending up with 14 games scheduled in exactly a month at the end of the 2017-18 season. Admittedly part of the issue was they had to be finished by the end of April for a league play-off, and ground sharing on a grass pitch with Tynecastle didn’t help.
(Attached are screenshots showing both of their gruelling schedules)

Attachments

• D0124C9F-BF32-4448-A096-6840CAF9FBE1.jpeg
    D0124C9F-BF32-4448-A096-6840CAF9FBE1.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 3
  • A9A163E3-84D5-4C71-B571-9AFC37896F9A.jpeg
    A9A163E3-84D5-4C71-B571-9AFC37896F9A.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 3

youngiecj

Forgot to post this one! Boston 2 Alfreton 0. First win at the new ground. 5 unbeaten. Onto Farsley Celtic this evening.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Hyde United will have gone more than two months without playing a league match since their 1-1 draw at home to Lancaster City on 3rd November until their next league match away to South Shields on 9th January 2021.
Any realistic prospect of the fixture at South Shields taking place on Saturday week? :?: