• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Markdvdman

Liverpool have won 3-1 for the FOURTH successive game. If only I was a betting man! I cannot see them beating Spurs 3-1 Saturday but may be worth a small bet but IF I bet that would be the kiss of death ha ha

75A

Established Member
Wow to Newcastle for last nights win. City could easily been 3 up @ half time, but talk about a game of 2 halves, Utd came out after the break and thoroughly deserved the win. A pleasure to watch.

Purple Train

Established Member
Not a story you see every day...
Sheffield Wednesday owner Dejphon Chansiri says that he will not put any more money into the Championship club.

In a statement the Thai businessman said that he took responsibility for all club issues but is unhappy with treatment towards him and his family from some fans.

"From now, I will not put additional money into the club," Chansiri said.

The Owls, who are bottom of the Championship, play Sunderland at home on Friday (20:00 BST).

Any thoughts from resident Owls? (Assuming there are any :D)

oxfordray1

Not a story you see every day...

Any thoughts from resident Owls? (Assuming there are any :D)
Not had a season ticket for many years but still get to the odd game. Seems like the entire club is in a mess, but that is what not winning in 8 league games does. From the (albeit limited number of) fans I have spoken to, they don't believe a single word that comes out of the chairman's mouth, including why Darren Moore left.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not had a season ticket for many years but still get to the odd game. Seems like the entire club is in a mess, but that is what not winning in 8 league games does. From the (albeit limited number of) fans I have spoken to, they don't believe a single word that comes out of the chairman's mouth, including why Darren Moore left.
The Friday night 0-3 home defeat by Sunderland will have only added to the problems.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A lot of rubbish around today about the poor old players having to play too many games. Seems an annual complaint by managers just as European competitions start up.

Easy solution? Revert to simple knock out champions cup, cup winners cup, and UEFA cup.
Cease and desist all talk of breakaway European super leagues.
Accept lower TV income, and reduce players salaries to suit if necessary.

But, hang on though, don’t 20 man match day squads, rotation, and all the possible subs being used in many games mean players already play less on average?

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A lot of rubbish around today about the poor old players having to play too many games. Seems an annual complaint by managers just as European competitions start up.

Easy solution? Revert to simple knock out champions cup, cup winners cup, and EUFA cup.
Cease and desist all talk of breakaway European super leagues.
Accept lower TV income, and reduce players salaries to suit if necessary.

But, hang on though, don’t 20 man match day squads, rotation, and all the possible subs being used in many games mean players already play less on average?
Wasn't the "EUFA Cup" the knock-off version on Sensible Soccer? ;)

This was because the publishers didn't have the rights to the official names. Also meant that there were teams called "Highbury" and "Manchester" with players called Devid Seamon and Raan Goggs respectively. :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Knocked out of the FA Cup 2 - 1 v Scarboro. A better performance but a dubious penalty and an inability to score in open play cost us - listened on radio as i couldn't go due to train strikes

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Knocked out of the FA Cup 2 - 1 v Scarboro. A better performance but a dubious penalty and an inability to score in open play cost us - listened on radio as i couldn't go due to train strikes
Hyde United also met the same fate, losing 0-2 to a Marine team who seem to raise their game in the FA Cup. They are higher than Hyde in the same league, yet Hyde beat them 2-0 at home recently in the league match.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No worries... your typo just unlocked some nostalgia!

Huddersfield Town 1 - 1 Ipswich Town
Prior to kick-off I'd have snapped your hand off for a point... and it was probably a fair result. The game was also a great advert for Championship Football, with some great play from both teams and fantastic saves from both goalkeepers. I was a bit worried about the post-Warnock era but Darren Moore seems to have the players on board and the mindset to make the team "greater than the sum of its parts" which was also Warnock's speciality. Having lead, it feels like two points lost in some ways but Ipswich were also good value for their point so it was definitely a fair result. Also a good way for both clubs and both sets of fans to show their support for former player Marcus Stewart who was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease last year. He was the special guest on the field before the game, and took photos with both sets of fans outside the ground- thankfully before the heavens opened.

Hats off to Luton Town also, who became the first of the promoted teams to record a win this season by beating Everton 1-2 at Goodison Park!

DannyMich2018

Regarding your last paragraph I'm so glad Everton got beat. They didn't get points deducted last season so them winning last PL game sent us down despite us winning our last PL game (I'm Leicester fan)
Also so great neither Manchester teams won today.
We defo be going back up next season, who will come down I wonder?....

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 0...Maidstone United 2 (Adamantchi 47, 52, Wanjau-Smith m/pen 72)
Attendance: 549

Winchester City's FA Cup dream ends in the 3rd qualifying round after a defeat against higher opposition. A fairly tight game was decided early in the second half when the ball struck the post and deflected off a Maidstone player before the same player seized on a goalkeeping error five minutes later. Winchester looked to fight back, but Maidstone's defence held firm.

Other Results:

AFC Totton 1...Berkhamsted 0

Bracknell Town 3...Poole Town 1

Chesham United 2...Margate 0

Gosport Borough 2...Welling United 2

Merthyr Town 1...Sheppey United 4

Salisbury 0...Slough Town 0

Torquay United 5...Hungerford Town 0

Yeovil Town 2...Didcot Town 0

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Regarding your last paragraph I'm so glad Everton got beat. They didn't get points deducted last season so them winning last PL game sent us down despite us winning our last PL game (I'm Leicester fan)
Also so great neither Manchester teams won today.
We defo be going back up next season, who will come down I wonder?....
It's certainly looking like it'll be the three that went up, but nothing gets decided at the end of September. The same goes for promotion, and the Championship is famously unpredictable. I certainly wouldn't be counting my chickens just yet!

75A

Established Member
Just got home after 2 cracking days of motor racing, looked @ todays scores and thought wow there is a god.
Firstly my team - Portsmouth are still top of league 1 after winning @ Wigan, both Manchester clubs and Liverpool lost, Brighton conceeded 6 @ Villa and deffo the result of the day for me - Luton getting their first win of the season and are out of the bottom 3 by beating Everton at Goodison Park! who knows if the beat Burnley on Tuesday they'll be above Chelsea, would've thought? certainly not me.

450.emu

Spurs continue their journey up the league table with Greater Angelou :E Didn't expect a Liverpool own goal to change their fortunes at the very end. Good to see attacking football being played again after 4 turgid years. The refereeing and VAR was a mess, though :rolleyes:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Spurs continue their journey up the league table with Greater Angelou :E Didn't expect a Liverpool own goal to change their fortunes at the very end. Good to see attacking football being played again after 4 turgid years. The refereeing and VAR was a mess, though :rolleyes:
That's a very railway-centric nickname for him... :D

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
When was the last time that Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool and Everton all played on the same Saturday and all four lost?

SteveM70

Established Member
When was the last time that Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool and Everton all played on the same Saturday and all four lost?

Well, all four playing on a Saturday is a thing in itself. Sky normally have two matches on a Sunday, with a flagship game at 16:30, but today there was only one game on telly, Forest v Brentford at 2pm. Of course, Sky will happily tell anyone who'll listen that they have no influence over the scheduling of games, and its a complete coincidence that there was no 16:30 game or "big" teams playing today and it also happened to be the final day of the Ryder Cup, which is on Sky

Markdvdman

That Luis Diaz 'offside' was just about the worst VAR decision ever. If that goal stood, as it should, would have been a very different game. Being a Liverpool fan it enrages me, BUT the bigger picture is VAR decisions are getting so bad now, it could cost a team Premier League status, or cause managers to get sacked. It is really bad!

75A

Established Member
That Luis Diaz 'offside' was just about the worst VAR decision ever. If that goal stood, as it should, would have been a very different game. Being a Liverpool fan it enrages me, BUT the bigger picture is VAR decisions are getting so bad now, it could cost a team Premier League status, or cause managers to get sacked. It is really bad!
It really is unbelievable that a so called professional sport has such an amateur system, as you say that really was the worst VAR ever, a complete farce.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The VAR dcision was actually good - they thought they were checking there was no offside and that was what they found. However, the communication was awful and it is stunning to find that there do not seem to be any protocols in place to ensure that such confusion is avoided.

75A

Established Member
The VAR dcision was actually good - they thought they were checking there was no offside and that was what they found. However, the communication was awful and it is stunning to find that there do not seem to be any protocols in place to ensure that such confusion is avoided.
Right.
So VAR was asked 'was there an offside' to which they replied no there wasn't, but on the pitch this was taken the other way?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
i think i mentioned VAR would destroy football. Be careful what you wish for.

However, the communication was awful and it is stunning to find that there do not seem to be any protocols in place to ensure that such confusion is avoided.
Surely there is a defined script for this kind of thing?!?!?!?!?!?! There seems to be in egg chasing.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
For me it was the third worst...

SteveM70

Established Member
Right.
So VAR was asked 'was there an offside' to which they replied no there wasn't, but on the pitch this was taken the other way?

No

VAR is never asked to check a goal, they do so every time automatically.

They did it, saw it was onside, but because they thought the goal had been given on the pitch they just said “check complete” rather than “yes it’s a goal”