• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Haywain

Veteran Member
Surely there is a defined script for this kind of thing?
The VAR looked at the 'goal' and said "Check complete". And that was it. It would be better if it had been "Check complete, goal scored, no offside", regardless of what the onfield decision was. No room for ambiguity then.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The VAR looked at the 'goal' and said "Check complete". And that was it. It would be better if it had been "Check complete, goal scored, no offside", regardless of what the onfield decision was. No room for ambiguity then.
thanks - I assumed, wrongly, there would be a defined question and response arrangement precisely to avoid such cock ups!

They seem to ask in Rugby: Intend to award a try to XRUFC. Do you see anything in the build up that would prevent me from doing so?

JD2168

Late on Sunday evening Michael Beale was sacked as Rangers Manager after only 10 months in the job, the final straw being a 1-3 home defeat to Aberdeen. An interim management team led by Steven Davis has been put in temporary charge.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Knocked out of the FA Cup 2 - 1 v Scarboro. A better performance but a dubious penalty and an inability to score in open play cost us - listened on radio as i couldn't go due to train strikes

Had you won, provided all thigs are equal, you would have been home to Oxford City in the 4th qualifying round instead of Scarborough Athletic.

You must have been pleased to see South Shields go out to Leek Town....on T V for all to see.

THC

Late on Sunday evening Michael Beale was sacked as Rangers Manager after only 10 months in the job, the final straw being a 1-3 home defeat to Aberdeen. An interim management team led by Steven David has been put in temporary charge.
Steven Davis.

Beale was a complete spoofer. I'm amazed he lasted this long.

THC

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Leek Town used to be in the Southern League, long before the SL added its Central division, despite being north east of Stoke on Trent. I once saw them play Sittingbourne in that competition.

But Bradford surely have the record for the most northern team ever to play in the SL. Bradford played in the Southern League in 1907/08 and were elected to FL D2 at the end of the season despite only finishing 13th. Undeserving though this was, Manningham RL, aka Bradford City, were elected in 1903 without ever having kicked a round ball. Chelsea are the only other club to be elected to the FL without having played a game of soccer.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Leek Town used to be in the Southern League, long before the SL added its Central division, despite being north east of Stoke on Trent. I once saw them play Sittingbourne in that competition.
The town of Leek that I am aware of is only a 109 bus ride from Macclesfield, so what bright spark originally placed them in the Southern League?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Think this was for one season only. (1994-95).

Very expensive for the Blues travel wise.

75A

Established Member
I can remember when my home town club: Bognor Regis Town were in the Southern League in the 70's and we had some lengthy trips to places like Bideford & Minehead, don't remember any of them being midweek but summer Saturdays were tedious.
Since moving to the Isthmian League about half the away trips seem to involve the M25 and though nowhere near as far in miles, it can sometimes take as long.
Cup runs can always involve long journeys, like Swansea & Grimsby on Saturdays & Aston Villa on a Tuesday night, arriving home on Christmas Eve.

SteveM70

Established Member
Woking 1 - 2 FC Halifax Town

Tylor Golden 90+7 winner. A Golden goal and no mistake

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League...Premier Division

Atherton Collieries 1 ... Hyde United 2

This Tuesday night away match was one that Hyde needed to show if they had recovered from the FA Cup home defeat by Marine last weekend. It was Atherton though who took the lead in the 21st minute, but Hyde, through Jack Redshaw, equilised three minutes before half time and the same player put Hyde in the lead in the 61st minute.

SteveM70

Established Member
Good little player Redshaw. We had him at Halifax a few years ago but he never got a run in the team

High Dyke

Established Member
Ossett United 0 Grantham Town 0
Northern Premier League East.

A well deserved point on the road. Neither side looked like they could score nor concede.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
After what?
Did you not see last year's Championship Play Off final?

Tonight Huddersfield were given a bit of a footballing lesson by Birmingham City. I still think we'll be okay this season, but Darren Moore has a steep learning curve ahead of him.

Sad to hear that Birmingham (and former Huddersfield) winger Juninho Bacuna was reportedly subject to racist abuse from his own supporters tonight, in a game his team won 4-1. Can someone remind me what year this is? :rolleyes:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Had you won, provided all thigs are equal, you would have been home to Oxford City in the 4th qualifying round instead of Scarborough Athletic.

You must have been pleased to see South Shields go out to Leek Town....on T V for all to see.
I would have preferred Oxford City AWAY!

I am not to worried about other clubs - beyond Hartlepooh.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
thanks - I assumed, wrongly, there would be a defined question and response arrangement precisely to avoid such cock ups!
The audio they have now released shows how utterly chaotic that communication is and leaves me not at all surprised that mistakes have been made.
They really need to learn from Rugby how to mange those kind of situations and communications - as you essentially said keep the questions and responses clear and as pre defined as possible so there's no confusion at all.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The audio they have now released shows how utterly chaotic that communication is and leaves me not at all surprised that mistakes have been made.
They really need to learn from Rugby how to mange those kind of situations and communications - as you essentially said keep the questions and responses clear and as pre defined as possible so there's no confusion at all.
I have just heard it - total chaos! The PMGOL people need to go on a radio communications clarity and brevity course! They should study safety critical comms!

Purple Train

Established Member
I can remember when my home town club: Bognor Regis Town were in the Southern League in the 70's and we had some lengthy trips to places like Bideford & Minehead, don't remember any of them being midweek but summer Saturdays were tedious.
Since moving to the Isthmian League about half the away trips seem to involve the M25 and though nowhere near as far in miles, it can sometimes take as long.
Cup runs can always involve long journeys, like Swansea & Grimsby on Saturdays & Aston Villa on a Tuesday night, arriving home on Christmas Eve.
Are Gloucester still in the National League North? I imagine some of those away journeys would be fun...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bishops Stortford?

Ah well, at least it's obvious which side of the Watford Gap the powers-that-be are... :smile:
it is just the standard National North/South Line situation. There is a fluid buffer zone between Oxford and Birmingham. The lines moves north or south depending on promotion and relegation

Haywain

Veteran Member
Are Gloucester still in the National League North? I imagine some of those away journeys would be fun...
Gloucester's longest journey, to Blyth, is over 50 miles shorter than Truro's longest journey, to Dover, in the National League South.

SJL2020

Be careful. Don't think for a moment that the current manager of United will have accepted that performance level from the players in an opening match of the season at Old Trafford and not ready to take action to remedy matters.
I was just wondering when these remedies you previously mentioned are going to take effect?