• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Bantamzen

Established Member
:lol:

A very organised Switzerland next then? On paper we’d probably have taken that but it’s going to be a nail biting experience to say the least.
This is England, it will never be easy because we always make it difficult for ourselves. I just hope the lads have realised that we can go on the attack and get the ball in the onion bag.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
oh no - i have to drive to Gatwick to drop the boss off for a flight on Saturday evening!

Do I go full Likely Lads and try and avoid the score or just listen to 5 Live? The good news is that the game is on BBC so we wont have to put up with the ITV commentary dross.

:lol:

A very organised Switzerland next then? On paper we’d probably have taken that but it’s going to be a nail biting experience to say the least.
Switzerland will be laughing their little cuckoo clocks off at how bad we have been!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
oh no - i have to drive to Gatwick to drop the boss off for a flight on Saturday evening!

Do I go full Likely Lads and try and avoid the score or just listen to 5 Live?
Just log onto here and we’ll give you a cryptic commentary with no spoilers…

Switzerland will be laughing their little cuckoo clocks off at how bad we have been!
And that’s erm, exactly the false sense of security that we want to lull them into. :lol:

dangie

Established Member
Whilst I do have some sympathy for Slovakia as for most of the match they were the better team, my biggest sympathy lies with the Scots. They must have gone from euphoria to misery in minutes :D

JD2168

That was icky from England. For 94 minutes it was utter rubbish with a complete lack of ideas & a manager who struggled to understand a substitute is a good idea. The a brilliant goal from Bellingham & a goal from Kane in extra time saved England’s tournament.

The Luke Shaw gamble is clearly backfiring, Kieron Trippier keeps cutting in & offers no width. The odd part is Joe Gomez played left back for Liverpool last season but seems to be behind most players. Phil Foden does not look great on the left side but you have Anthony Gordon who can play on the left wing & did well at Newcastle in this position.

On Moderation
The good news is that the game is on BBC so we wont have to put up with the ITV commentary dross.
The only thing worse than England's performance tonight was Sam Matterface's commentary. Didn't know his far post from his near post, called Slovakia Slovenia and confused Cole Palmer and Jude Bellingham. Utter clown.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I know that it was only Georgia, but all the way through this competition so far I’ve felt that Spain are the best team in it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The only thing worse than England's performance tonight was Sam Matterface's commentary. Didn't know his far post from his near post, called Slovakia Slovenia and confused Cole Palmer and Jude Bellingham. Utter clown.
And yet they let they dump Clive Tyldesley

On Moderation
And yet they let they dump Clive Tyldesley
I know. :rolleyes:

Two bits of classic Clive from the Germany vs Denmark game...
On Rasmus Hojlund “Manchester United wanted a hitman last summer; they got a hit and miss man, a hit and miss boy.”
On Toni Kroos “When everyone is on fast-forward, Toni Kroos is on play.”

Just no comparison - gets the message over with a classy use of language.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They've been the standout so far. Germany next, huge game.
Spain v Germany should be a cracker.

It’s going to be an absolute cracker and hopefully all the decent teams on that side of the draw will take lumps out of each other and allow us to sneak victory by being unutterably awful like Greece were in 2004.

Come on England! :lol:

scarby

Good performance by England there.

Dominated the game, never gave up and comfortably kept Slovakia out once they had made it 2-1.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Switzerland up next for England and not forgetting that they have already beaten Italy to reach that stage,

And that is a real worry, however Italy were, arguably, even worse than England have been!

I still cannot believe how long Southgate waited to make changes. His team tactics seemed to be, 'don't worry if you're playing crap lads, Jude will rescue us with a world-class finish 5 second from time'.

scarby

N
I take it that post is ironic?
Not at all.

I think England were deserved winners.

Wouldn’t it be dull if we all had the same views on the game?

And that is a real worry, however Italy were, arguably, even worse than England have been!
It’s not a worry at all as what happened between Switzerland and Italy is wholly irrelevant to next Saturday.

I might as well say that Switzerland only drew with Belarus, Kosovo and Israel in the qualifiers therefore it will be easy for England.

dangie

Established Member
After each England game I said they couldn’t get any worse. Unfortunately I was wrong, they did.

So I’ll say it again. They can’t get any worse.

Even by England standards there has to be a limit as to how poor they can go.

Yes I know they won the last game, but up until the last minute of injury time they were totally inept.

scarby

Yes I know they won the last game, but up until the last minute of injury time they were totally inept.
I don’t agree.

Look at it this way. Imagine that in that game that Slovakia were England and England were Slovakia.

People would be saying it was an awful performance. That England sat back after taking the lead and got their just desserts. And that after going 2-1 down their extra-time performance was lamentable, in which they posed very little threat.

SteveM70

Established Member
Not at all.

I think England were deserved winners

Hardly. Their keeper has barely had a save to make. Yes, England had lots of possession, but they did precious little with it

I might as well say that Switzerland only drew with Belarus, Kosovo and Israel in the qualifiers therefore it will be easy for England

No, because one is current form and the other is something from months ago

Look at it this way. Imagine that in that game that Slovakia were England and England were Slovakia.

People would be saying it was an awful performance. That England sat back after taking the lead and got their just desserts. And that after going 2-1 down their extra-time performance was lamentable, in which they posed very little threat

It's not a valid comparison. In extra time Slovakia were knackered, because their way of containing England expended a lot of energy. And technically, like-for-like they're not as good.

Slovakia were a team greater than the sum of its parts; England (yet again) were a fractured team less than the sum of its parts

1D54

I doubt it would be detrimental to club form, however, refusing the opportunity because of being ashamed to have anything to do with it is a possibility.

JamesT

Established Member
I'm often fascinated by footballers who are born in England, often play age-grade football for England, but then choose another country to represent as an adult.
Do the familial ties pull stronger? Did they think they had a better chance of getting into the team of a different country?