• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Footbridge work at Bedhampton

K.o.R

20231008_102747.jpg

According to the signs the footbridge at Bedhampton is out of action until at least January, and looking at what's been done to it so far I can see why. At this point I wonder why they don't just demolish it and put a new one in. Maybe it's a listed structure?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
View attachment 144985

According to the signs the footbridge at Bedhampton is out of action until at least January, and looking at what's been done to it so far I can see why. At this point I wonder why they don't just demolish it and put a new one in. Maybe it's a listed structure?
Possibly: a new footbridge would have to be accessible (ramps or lifts), but repairing the old one retains "grandfather rights" to have steps only?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Possibly: a new footbridge would have to be accessible (ramps or lifts), but repairing the old one retains "grandfather rights" to have steps only?
The station has level access both sides anyway as it’s at a level crossing.

K.o.R

1706294173967.jpeg

Primer coat (though not on the trackward side of the ironwork!) from a couple of weeks ago. It has since been painted a rather fetching dark green. That rusted bar on the landing front and centre showing no signs of being repaired or replaced. They haven't painted it so perhaps it will be fixed.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
So...to recap on "progress"...

Paint- and step-removal work started in the second week of September 2023.
Trackside paint removal took place over the first October weekend, as seen here.
The station's notices advertised a completion date of 5th January 2024.

4th January, the notices were hastily taken down; and new ones quoted completion on 29th February. The sides of the bridge were primed and partially painted.
Work stopped again, in the second half of January.

Still no resumption of work. Still no date for completion. The morning throng, due to a lack of bridge, borders on a scrum.

And - received in this morning's post. The irony....

Attachments

• Bedhampton_Station_Bridge_01Oct2023.jpg
    Bedhampton_Station_Bridge_01Oct2023.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 56
  • Bedhampton_waiting.jpg
    Bedhampton_waiting.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 20240307_113120.jpg
    20240307_113120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

K.o.R

Oh dear, maybe those rusted-away sections were only the tip of a nasty iceberg.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Oh dear, maybe those rusted-away sections were only the tip of a nasty iceberg.
I did wonder whether the pillars masked more evil corrosion. The visible affected area, where the steps turn 90 degrees (in the foreground of your photos), I think can be re-plated easily.

I understand it's a Grade 2 Listed structure; goodness knows why, as we aren't exactly short of ex-LSWR footbridges down these parts.

(11th March) 2 photos, taken approximately six months apart. Judge the "progress" for yourself....

Attachments

• Bedhampton_Station_Bridge_23Sep2023.jpg
    Bedhampton_Station_Bridge_23Sep2023.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 15
  • Bedhampton_Station_Bridge_09Mar2024_.jpg
    Bedhampton_Station_Bridge_09Mar2024_.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 15
Last edited: