• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Foreign preserved bus types in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex397

Established Member
Inspired by seeing pictures of the Ikarus 260 from Budapest in operation at the recent Workington event, I thought it would be interesting to see which other foreign bus types are preserved in the UK. I can’t think of many examples, but here is what I can think of:

- Malta BUS364, a Bedford QL with local bodywork. I think this is still owned by Go-Coach in Kent

- Go-coach also had a King Long from Malta, which I think was semi-preserved as it did see service. Not sure if they still had this.

- Wellington, NZ trolleybus 82, a BUT / MCW type seen at Sandtoft, at least in 2018.

- There are a number of ex-Hong Kong vehicles too I believe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger1973

Without too much thought -

There's a Christchurch (New Zealand) Bristol RE preserved in the Bristol area, and gets to some running days. The engine is the type usually fitted to Leyland Nationals so it sounds 'wrong'... (Link to Bristol Omnibus Vehicle Collection page here)

There are at least one or two 1930s Paris single deckers in UK preservation - one did appear at King Alfred events in Winchester now and then (think the owner lives or lived in Hampshire) - article on 'Old Bus Photos' here.

There's a Lisbon AEC Regal half cab that lives (or used to) in the East Midlands - photo on SCT61 website here. I have a feeling that there's a Portugese Regent V (also a 'wrong way round' half cab) somewhere in the UK as well, but can't find a reference.

St Helens Museum have an ex Sydney AEC Regent III (first photo I found on Flickr here) - I have a vague recollection of seeing a similar bus at Canvey some years ago, which may or may not have been the same one - I can't find any reference to this.

busesrusuk

A (light blue, KMB) decker in the Scottish Vintage Bus Musem? Some years ago now though.
If you are referring to Lathalmond, I think this may be the bus you are referring to which is a China Motor Bus Leyland Victory. Also based there but not quite sure of its status is an ex New World First Bus Alexander bodied Leyland Fleetline which carried an allover advert for route 15 to the Peak (in Hong Kong). When I visited Lathalmond on 2014 it was parked away from the main sheds and looked in a sorry state as it appeared to have been stored for some while out on the open. Her is the Victory:

Ploughman

Established Member
In the mid 70's there was an ex Stockholm Scania single decker imported for trial use when the rules of the road in Sweden changed to driving on the Right. However it was bigger than anything in the UK at the time at about 40ft.
It was sold in the end to North's at Sherburn in Elmet where a Dave Suffolk acquired it.
I can recall driving it once on an airfield where we managed to get 60 with 4 of us playing some part in getting it moving.
I believe it spent some time at Sandtoft, but it has since vanished.
Dave also had connections at Steamport Southport, Did it go there, I don't remember it there however.
Does it still exist?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
- Go-coach also had a King Long from Malta, which I think was semi-preserved as it did see service. Not sure if they still had this.
This was former DBY 390, registered in the UK as LY53 UUX before receiving cherished reg K16 LNG. It's no longer with Go-Coach, but does survive in secure undercover storage in private ownership.

ChrisPJ

In the mid 70's there was an ex Stockholm Scania single decker imported for trial use when the rules of the road in Sweden changed to driving on the Right. However it was bigger than anything in the UK at the time at about 40ft.
It was sold in the end to North's at Sherburn in Elmet where a Dave Suffolk acquired it.
I can recall driving it once on an airfield where we managed to get 60 with 4 of us playing some part in getting it moving.
I believe it spent some time at Sandtoft, but it has since vanished.
Dave also had connections at Steamport Southport, Did it go there, I don't remember it there however.
Does it still exist?

Comments suggest it didn't survive.

MotCO

Established Member
These are being restored by Reliance Bus Works - don't have the details of what they are other than an Ikarus

257790058_4886136994754291_3859716508543157454_n.jpg

123108174_3752506498117352_8491651100796815376_n.jpg

- Malta BUS364, a Bedford QL with local bodywork. I think this is still owned by Go-Coach in Kent
Is this still owned by Go-Coach? I haven't seen it for a while, however, there has been one at Reliance Bus Works undergoing significant restoration, so is it this one?
308008808_585277950051170_4075540016154333475_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ploughman

Established Member

Comments suggest it didn't survive.
That's the one I remember, sad that it didn't survive.

CBlue

There's a Lisbon AEC Regal half cab that lives (or used to) in the East Midlands - photo on SCT61 website here. I have a feeling that there's a Portugese Regent V (also a 'wrong way round' half cab) somewhere in the UK as well, but can't find a reference
For some time there was a Portuguese AEC half cab sat in the former Guide Friday / Ensignbus depot at Ely. It remained an tenant there after Stagecoach East took on the property, alongside a selection of dusty routemasters and an open top DMS. Presumably it was one of the two you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.