• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forgot my change from the fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
I have checked the change log and the original title was "Bus driver kept my change", so no mention of the word "dishonest" in there.

I suspect his comment was tongue-in-cheek.

I am surprised that you can non-issue the ticket after all that time tbh. I thought non-issue could only occur before a specified number of tickets were issued after the ticket in question.

It depends on the system, but yes, it may well not be possible to do (in which case I would retain the ticket, write an explanation on it, then include with cashing up).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daikilo

Established Member
One would get in more trouble for not carrying the pax than for revenue being wrong. I would take the £20 on boarding, issue a ticket, then if no change at all return the £20 and void the ticket (but policies elsewhere could be very different).

What I suggest matters here is common law.

If the operator does not clearly specify that they will not or may not give change then they are obliged to do so.

The ticket agent cannot then refuse boarding if he/she does not have the correct change. Also, if the agent states that remaining change will be supplied before disembarkation it is not for the passenger to have to ask.

As such, if the agent has no means to issue a debt ticket, the company has no means to formally refuse a bona-fidae claim, and in such a scenario, barring proof to the contrary, I suggest the passenger would be given the benefit of the doubt in a court of law.

william

Established Member
Time for an update since my last post.

Having not heard anything for over a week I decided to give them another ring on Monday. The gentleman on the phone told me the driver had not handed anything in. The driver had been interviewed and said he couldn't remember anything about the incident. Apparently, he had a good previous record for handing anything in. CCTV was inconclusive. However, he told me that if I went to the supervisors office in Park Lane, Sunderland and asked for xxxxxxx, I would be issued with a free all zones, weekly pass. I told him that wouldnt be practical for two reasons;
1. I don't regularly travel to Sunderland.
2. There would be no guarantee that particular supervisor would be available.
I thought this was a rather strange suggestion and asked if it could be sent in the post. He looked into it and then finally concluded it could and he would send it right away. I thanked him and hung up. I received a key card this morning. It is to be activated when I first use it on the bus....

34D

Established Member
Time for an update since my last post.

Having not heard anything for over a week I decided to give them another ring on Monday. The gentleman on the phone told me the driver had not handed anything in. The driver had been interviewed and said he couldn't remember anything about the incident. Apparently, he had a good previous record for handing anything in. CCTV was inconclusive. However, he told me that if I went to the supervisors office in Park Lane, Sunderland and asked for xxxxxxx, I would be issued with a free all zones, weekly pass. I told him that wouldnt be practical for two reasons;
1. I don't regularly travel to Sunderland.
2. There would be no guarantee that particular supervisor would be available.
I thought this was a rather strange suggestion and asked if it could be sent in the post. He looked into it and then finally concluded it could and he would send it right away. I thanked him and hung up. I received a key card this morning. It is to be activated when I first use it on the bus....

Well done for getting it resolved... And welcome to the world of ITSO.

william

Established Member
well done for getting it resolved... And welcome to the world of itso.

Go North East have been using it for several years. Its a boon if you live or travel far south of the Tyne &Wear border and its on a GNE route (Its more Arrivas patch in deepest darkest Durham). However, when I end up making regularly journeys it tends to be within T & W and Ive found the Network One much better value. I live one bus stop south of the border.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.