• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former Seaton Junction station building

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
An opportunity occurred last Sunday to have a proper look at what remains of the former station of Seaton Junction between Axminster & Honiton on the ex-LSWR/SR main line to Exeter; I've seen it a few times before from passing trains, but trains pass through at quite a lick, so it's only a fleeting view.

The main station building looks extant, as is the former up platform and part of the now skeletal steel-work of the old platform canopy. The site is crossed by a footpath on a long SR-style concrete footbridge giving a view of the former station (and trains), there's also another concrete footbridge between platforms, but this is not accessible.

Quite by chance, I arrived just as what I assume was the (Sunday) 10.15 London Waterloo - Exeter St. David's ran through at speed; no time to compose the shot!

I was surprised to see that the public telephone at the former station was still in use, although it's days are numbered as indicated by the sign inside. It must be a long time since anyone has had to use it having, perhaps, alighted from a train after the last Seaton branch train has left.

Presumably the former station building is in private ownership? Many of these sort of buildings have now been turned in to private homes, it is a shame to see this one in a rather neglected state. Does anyone know of its current status, or of any plans to restore it to good order?

Attachments

• DSC07995.jpg
    DSC07995.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC07996.jpg
    DSC07996.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC07992.jpg
    DSC07992.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC07993.jpg
    DSC07993.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC07994.jpg
    DSC07994.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC07998.jpg
    DSC07998.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC07999.jpg
    DSC07999.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC08000.jpg
    DSC08000.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 77
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Compare that to this watercolour painting of the station showing a 4-track main line plus sidings, complete with platform faces and working signal box. How times change...

You would have thought someone could make use of the building!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
It reminds me very much of how Okehampton looked up until restoration commenced around 1996/97, although I think Seaton Junction actually closed about five years earlier and one year after the Seaton branch closed, it amazes me how these sleeping beauties from another era manage to survive intact for so long, but then again we are talking deepest Devon I suppose, it would be excellent if it were to be restored as Okehampton is but obviously it's purpose in life was removed after the branchline ceased operation all those years ago, btw I wonder if that is the original Southern Region green paint after all these years?

Veteran Member
Looks as though the building is in the same industrial ownership as the former dairy site, so I wouldn't be optimistic.

infobleep

Veteran Member
An opportunity occurred last Sunday to have a proper look at what remains of the former station of Seaton Junction between Axminster & Honiton on the ex-LSWR/SR main line to Exeter; I've seen it a few times before from passing trains, but trains pass through at quite a lick, so it's only a fleeting view.

The main station building looks extant, as is the former up platform and part of the now skeletal steel-work of the old platform canopy. The site is crossed by a footpath on a long SR-style concrete footbridge giving a view of the former station (and trains), there's also another concrete footbridge between platforms, but this is not accessible.

Quite by chance, I arrived just as what I assume was the (Sunday) 10.15 London Waterloo - Exeter St. David's ran through at speed; no time to compose the shot!

I was surprised to see that the public telephone at the former station was still in use, although it's days are numbered as indicated by the sign inside. It must be a long time since anyone has had to use it having, perhaps, alighted from a train after the last Seaton branch train has left.

Presumably the former station building is in private ownership? Many of these sort of buildings have now been turned in to private homes, it is a shame to see this one in a rather neglected state. Does anyone know of its current status, or of any plans to restore it to good order?
Thanks for sharing that.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

John Luxton

Established Member

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Brilliant photos John, I've seen them before, that's the old ticket office wall leaning against the dairy building isn't it?

John Luxton

Established Member
Brilliant photos John, I've seen them before, that's the old ticket office wall leaning against the dairy building isn't it?

Yes it certainly appears to be. I was in my teens when I took these photos and had not learnt to drive yet. My father used to take me to Seaton and Beer when on holidays for a visit to the Seaton Tramway (which was laid on most of the branch) and then on to Peco at Beer.

There have been suggestions from time to time that the Seaton Tramway should be extended to the Junction and the station reopened. Given that much of the station remains intact as well as the foot bridge perhaps all that needs to happen is that the running line needs slewing to serve one of the platforms?

John

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Yes it certainly appears to be. I was in my teens when I took these photos and had not learnt to drive yet. My father used to take me to Seaton and Beer when on holidays for a visit to the Seaton Tramway (which was laid on most of the branch) and then on to Peco at Beer.

There have been suggestions from time to time that the Seaton Tramway should be extended to the Junction and the station reopened. Given that much of the station remains intact as well as the foot bridge perhaps all that needs to happen is that the running line needs slewing to serve one of the platforms?

John

If that became a possibility would it not be a better/more useful option to convert the tramway back to the standard gauge branch railway it originally was, but worked as perhaps a semi-heritage line similar to the Swanage Railway, or is that just me being a bit of a selfish railway enthusiast?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If that became a possibility would it not be a better/more useful option to convert the tramway back to the standard gauge branch railway it originally was, but worked as perhaps a semi-heritage line similar to the Swanage Railway, or is that just me being a bit of a selfish railway enthusiast?

I know what you mean Ash Bridge but the tramway is well established, pretty environmentally friendly and offers something very different down here. The trams are frequent and quite nippy too. We're not too badly off for steam railways down here but I can't think where our nearest tram service is.
I used to go on it as a kid and I've taken my kids on it too when they were younger.
A few years ago we bought my dad a tram driving experience morning for his 70th, we had our own tram and got to be driven by him with tuition from a really nice knowledgeable guy, we had a tour of the sheds too. It really was excellent.
As you can tell I'm a bit of a fan. They've been there so long that they've written their own history now.
I can't really see them getting back to Seaton Junction but you never know. It would probably be easier laying a lightweight tramway than rebuilding the railway as it was.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
John

Sounds much like my childhood John! :)

Last edited:

davetheguard

Established Member

John

As a result of conversation on here, I took my first-ever trip on the Seaton Tramway last week. With Seaton Junction closed in the 60's, the route via public transport these days is by train to Axminster station. From the railway station forecourt, "Axe Valley Mini Travel" operate an hourly bus service -with a gap mid afternoon- to Seaton via Colyton, route 885. We travelled on a former Thames Travel liveried double decker bus.

We alighted at Colyton and got the tram to Seaton and back. Friendly tram drivers, and the fact that most of the route uses the old Seaton branch railway formation made the trip worthwhile. Colyford still has its old railway cast iron loo - similar to the one at Bewdley on the Severn Valley Railway perhaps?

Attachments

• DSC08123.jpg
    DSC08123.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC08125.jpg
    DSC08125.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC08131.jpg
    DSC08131.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC08139.jpg
    DSC08139.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 28

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for sharing this. It is something a bit different isn't it?

JohnR

John

I agree, I think that would be an excellent idea - although I would perhaps serve the platform(s) off a loop, allowing the fasts to go through non-stop, and perhaps the Junction served by the stoppers to Axminster?

Status
Not open for further replies.