• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Formula 1 the pinnacle of Motorsport
$hit happens - what should the governing body do? let the cars crash? Cancel the event? A problem has been mitigated to allow time for a proper fix. That cant happen overnight.

EDIT No Carlos Sainz today: fuel system issues.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Enthusiast

Established Member
$hit happens - what should the governing body do? let the cars crash? Cancel the event? A problem has been mitigated to allow time for a proper fix. That cant happen overnight.
Except that they first knew about this in 2021. Absolute shambles.

JD2168

Max Verstappen has won the Qatar Grand Prix from Oscar Piastri in second & Lando Norris in third. Lewis Hamilton & George Russell collided at turn 1 on the first lap in an incident that Lewis later admitted was his fault. George eventually came back to finish fourth.

Another poor race from Sergio Perez today who finished tenth but had 3 five second penalties for Track Limits.

The heat & humidity in today’s race became a factor, Logan Sargent retired feeling unwell, Esteban Ocon was sick in his helmet on lap 15 & other drivers were complaining of heat. Next year’s race is 6 weeks later & also shows why last year’s Football World Cup was held in December.

Last edited:

Established Member

EDIT No Carlos Sainz today: fuel system issues.
You, me, and those of us who have been around a while will remember USA 2005. You and I might wear different shirts in this sport but I'm sure both of us are on the same side of not wanting a repeat of that.

Liberty Media want to put on a race for people to watch, Bernie would probably have been happy to watch drivers end up in the wall...

66701GBRF

It'll be interesting in the RB debrief when he finds out Verstappen had none
Not really, while the amount Perez received were certainly excessive, when you are at the front with little competition it’s not a surprise there were none for Verstappen.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Another poor race from Sergio Perez today who finished tenth but had 3 five second penalties for Track Limits.
and he smashed the car up, and he had anew engine and he started from the pit lane as a penalty...............
You, me, and those of us who have been around a while will remember USA 2005. You and I might wear different shirts in this sport but I'm sure both of us are on the same side of not wanting a repeat of that.

Liberty Media want to put on a race for people to watch, Bernie would probably have been happy to watch drivers end up in the wall...
I don't really wear a shirt F1 wise - I just like the racing and technology and I don't dislike Verstappen even if he is a bit "single minded and focused" ;)

As for the tires - the issue shouldn't have happened but once it did you need to put a race on. As you say the kids wont know about the farce that was the 2005 United States Grand Prix!

BJames

Established Member
F1 Arcade watchparty review -

Cost: £39
Entry one hour before race starts - although, it clearly allows entry before - we got there at 16:45 (so 15 mins early) and we bagged the last table available, so get there early! Note: seats at General Admission level (the £39 entry) are not guaranteed.

Simulators were really fun. They turn on at 5pm (or an hour before the race, depending which one you go to) - and range from rookie to pro settings level, so anyone can have a good go at it. I wasn't very good but it was really enjoyable, best driving simulator I've ever been on for sure (far superior to usual arcades that you might find on the likes of Bournemouth pier, for example). There are also a few other games including a reaction test game and one called lights out but I didn't see what you actually have to do. There were generally a few people waiting at each time - the races last around 6-7 minutes and some people would do a couple in a row but because people were waiting around this was rare. Worth standing waiting to ensure you get on rather than necessarily waiting for one to become free, but there are a lot of simulators there, so you will certainly get to have a go!

There was an MC, who was pretty good at hyping people up (although obviously this is a very different crowd to fans of some other sports so it's never rowdy) - but it was Sky Sports F1 on TV and the commentary (as well as subtitles) was played out loud. There were ample screens for viewing - and I must say it is really good to have been in the atmosphere of lots of other fans without actually going to the GP in person, or having to make do with one pub screen showing the race if we're lucky.

For those who are considering going, if you don't want to pay £39 for the watch party, there are sessions where you can just use the simulators and this is from £15. At the watch party, prices rise steeply if you want to get more out of it. There is the option to sit at the 'pit wall' - i.e. "A front row seat of our large viewing screen and live data from the race track straight through to your exclusive Pit Wall screen. Includes a glass of Ferrari Trento." (From the F1 arcade website.) We had a look at these seats - this is certainly something to do if you are super interested in the technical side of the race, getting all the individual statistics about the cars and drivers coming through. It looks really interesting but it's not something that I'd be looking to do right now. This costs £69.

You can also go for Grandstand - this costs £109 each, but you do get a seat allocated, drinks (and sharing plates) included and 'exclusive viewing area' (although do note that everyone has to walk through this viewing area to get to the loos!).

I would probably go again but certainly not every week - a little bit too expensive for me to be able to afford that right now! Good atmosphere and if the championship was going right down to the wire I reckon I'd be there more often for sure.

I've been and thought that while the prices are what we expect from this sport, the quality of the food, drink and service was great.

Pro tip though, if staff see you ordering on the QR code they will come over and offer to take your order, but won't tell you they add 15% service charge.
This was great advice. The service was bordering on over-attentive, we were asked if we would like any drinks 3 times within a couple of minutes of sitting down. Ordered food (which was great) on the QR code and indeed saved money so thanks for this, I wouldn't have even realised!

Do let us know what you think - it's on my to do list at some point.
Do give it a go - there's nothing else like this in London or elsewhere at the moment (although I think F1 Arcade is opening a second location in Birmingham soon).

JD2168

Pirelli has been announced as continuing with the tyre contract for F1, F2 & F3 for the 2025-2027 seasons with an option for 2028.

The FIA has announced that there that action will be taken to prevent a repeat of the extreme heat conditions in the Qatar Grand Prix which resulted in several drivers being taken ill.

BJames

Established Member
Indeed end of November/early December, which puts it a week before Abu Dhabi - which makes sense geographically too.

there is a racing simulator place in Milton Keynes that is very good. Simply Race?
Just looked that up - looks really good, might have to head over that way some time!

Established Member

Ex-Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has pleaded guilty to fraud after failing to declare more than £400 million of overseas assets to the government.

On 7 July, 2015, the billionaire failed to declare a trust in Singapore with a bank account containing around $650 million.

PG

Established Member

Ex-Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has pleaded guilty to fraud after failing to declare more than £400 million of overseas assets to the government.

On 7 July, 2015, the billionaire failed to declare a trust in Singapore with a bank account containing around $650 million.

Sentencing the F1 “supremo”, Mr Justice Bryan said: “Your offending is so serious that neither a fine or a community order would be appropriate. It is rightly acknowledged that the custody threshold has been passed.”

However, he said that he had taken into consideration a number of mitigating factors, including Ecclestone’s health, age, and that he has no previous criminal convictions.
I note that he has used his get out of jail  free card. I wonder if the judge should have added a further mitigating factor - donations to a certain political party...?

Darandio

Established Member
I note that he has used his get out of jail  free card. I wonder if the judge should have added a further mitigating factor - donations to a certain political party...?

We keep getting told the jails are full and at some point soon even some violent offenders might get suspended sentences because there isn't room for them. Chucking a 92 year old in jail when he poses no danger to anybody doesn't seem like the right use of resources to me. And I say that as someone who cannot stand the bloke.

PG

Established Member
Last night's Sprint  race event was a waste of time. The FIA (I assume) decided to effectively widen some corners in the middle of the day in the latest episode of the track limits debacle...
On a track which had, IIRC, 59 on track passes in the GP last year there wasn't exactly a heap of overtaking in the 19 laps. Seems like the sprint format is definitely not suited to the Austin track.

Mogster

Saturday was a total bore, from the mini qualifying to the race. If I’d paid for a Saturday ticket id rather have watched an hour of FP3 and proper qualifying for the Grand Prix than this mess.

I don’t see the point of the sprint “race” if it isn’t significantly different to Sunday’s race. In fact you could say it spoils Sunday’s race as you get to see everyone’s fist stint pace.

Now Saturday on sprint weekends is effectively decoupled from the main Grand Prix then I see no reason not to try different things on Saturday, and I really wouldn’t have said this a year ago. Reverse grids, heat racing, head to head, time trials etc etc, come up with something FOM.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Verstappen wins GP. Not quite as ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ as normal. Bit of excitement. Verstappen got a bit of a cob on the radio and doesn't like pressure. Hamilton was chasing him down but just not quite enough laps left to do it.

JD2168

After the dreadful sprint on Saturday the race today was much better with intrigue throughout the race. Max was struggling through the race with a breaking issue but held onto the win ahead of Lewis who seemed to be between two strategies at one stage with the first stop being a bit late. The gap which occurred pretty much remained until the end of the race. A very good race from Lando Norris for third place.

The Ferrari strategy today was bizarre as Charles Leclerc started on Pole but struggled with a one stop strategy to finish sixth & barely ahead of George Russell.

Established Member
Hamilton and Leclerc have been disqualified for excessive wear on the underside of the car. As a result of this, Checo's P2 in the championship looks a lot safer than it did at the start of the weekend.

As expected, certain elements of social media have turned into chaos calling it "petty" - however I can't help but think if it had been certain other drivers/teams they would have been making comments along the lines of "dirty cheaters".

Last edited:

Established Member
The old plank, been a while since that caused a DQ.
Indeed.
I was actually saying at the end of the race that maybe the other teams are catching RB and things can get interesting again.

Unfortunately, the poor ride had been noticed earlier in the weekend already, and these disqualifications explain the lack of RB (Max) performance compared to the others, and the better than expected performance of the Merc this weekend.

Interesting it was only one car from each team and not both - perhaps running different ride heights?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hamilton and Leclerc have been disqualified for excessive wear on the underside of the car. As a result of this, Checo's P2 in the championship looks a lot safer than it did at the start of the weekend.

As expected, certain elements of social media have turned into chaos calling it "petty" - however I can't help but think if it had been certain other drivers/teams they would have been making comments along the lines of "dirty cheaters".
it is petty and RB are dirty cheaters (*cough* budget cap *cough*) ;)

The rules are the rules. If the car is not within those rules it will be disqualified. If you are going to get disqualified at least do it by taking out Verstappen and 7 other cars at the first corner!
The old plank, been a while since that caused a DQ.
Yes - been a while since this one popped up. Always interesting who complained leading to the investigation
I was actually saying at the end of the race that maybe the other teams are catching RB and things can get interesting again.

Unfortunately, the poor ride had been noticed earlier in the weekend already, and these disqualifications explain the lack of RB (Max) performance compared to the others, and the better than expected performance of the Merc this weekend.

Interesting it was only one car from each team and not both - perhaps running different ride heights?
The DQ does muddy the water a bit. It looked like Mercedes had made a move forward pace wise but it is unclear now if that was because they were running illegally low OR if they have moved forward.

SteveM70

Established Member

Yes - been a while since this one popped up. Always interesting who complained leading to the investigation

I thought cars were chosen at random for post-race scrutineering? Radio 5 said earlier that - remarkably - if a car is picked and as a result disqualified, the other car from that team is not automatically also checked

Established Member
I thought cars were chosen at random for post-race scrutineering? Radio 5 said earlier that - remarkably - if a car is picked and as a result disqualified, the other car from that team is not automatically also checked
I believe it's the top six with a further 4 randomly selected.

With the two DQ that would mean up to another two being checked (those who moved up into the top six)

However I seem to remember some years ago they were all checked post race, along with the 1L fuel sample that Aston Martin had a problem with one time. Perhaps the 6+4 is the more in depth inspections?

It's probably in a statement by the FIA if anyone has time to check!

it is petty and RB are dirty cheaters (*cough* budget cap *cough*) ;)
I was hoping you hadn't seen me with my spanner lowering the suspension of the other cars before the race to give Super Max an advantage. As soon as I'd done that I tried to contact our chosen one, Lord Masi, but I just get an out of office reply :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveM70

Established Member
From the beeb website:

Russell's car was not checked by the scrutineers, incidentally, and nor was that of Leclerc's team-mate Carlos Sainz. The way FIA scrutineering works is that cars are checked at random. If a transgression is found, that does not mean that the other car in the team is then checked as well

Mainly SE Asia, occasionally Central Belt
This is an interesting edge case that is bound to lead to more questions than answers, not least the two most obvious “Are their teammates also actually in violation?” and the extension “Heck, are even more teams actually in violation as well?”

Perhaps a rule change is in order - possibly something like "One car of every team is checked" and then "If a car is found to be in violation, the teammate's car is then checked as well".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I was hoping you hadn't seen me with my spanner lowering the suspension before the race to give Super Max an advantage
you need to be more careful - you damaged the brake system ;)

Max wasn't very happy with the situation on the radio.