• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There have been rumours that Lawrence Stroll made a big money offer around Saudi Arabia but his gardening leave would be very long.
I would usaully say gardening leave can always be bought out but RB would be mad to let Newey start with another team this side of the next ice age!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Newey could just be retiring.

I’d love him to join Andretti…
If it throws a spanner in the works im all for that although if Ross Brawn and his team are doing their job they should be tweaking regs to prevent any one team becoming over dominant

gswindale

I believe his contract was due to end at the end of 2025.

New design regulations are due to kick in in 2026.

I would suspect that he won't be involved much in the design of the 2026 Red Bull, but also won't be able to have much input wherever he goes (if he stays in F1).

I did read though that he's been particularly critical of some of the 2026 regs though, so maybe he has decided to put the pencils away.

Nico Hulkenberg has signed a deal to join Sauber for the 2025 season.

IMO not a bad signing at all but I would've preferred a Sainz/Bottas line-up (but bottas is my favourite driver so I may be being a bit biased here). Surely it must be one of them two for the other seat now.

Highly likely that we will see Bearman in the Haas alongside Kmag next season.

JD2168

Makes sense for Hulkenberg to join Sauber/Audi from next season. He worked with Andreas Seidl at Porsche when he did the Le Mans 24 hours & being German his nationality fits as well.

If it opens up a seat for Ollie Bearman then that’s a good thing as well.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I thought you lot might like to see these - Silverstone on Saturday 10th July 1999 during qualifying for the British GP the next day, taken from on board G-PUMG on which I had just flown down from Dyce on the positioning flight for use on the VIP shuttles for the race. Look carefully and you can see a few cars on the track.

Attachments

• Peter Archive 12840.jpg
    Peter Archive 12840.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Peter Archive 12841.jpg
    Peter Archive 12841.jpg
    894.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Peter Archive 12842.jpg
    Peter Archive 12842.jpg
    979.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Peter Archive 12843.jpg
    Peter Archive 12843.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • Peter Archive 12844.jpg
    Peter Archive 12844.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • Peter Archive 12839.jpg
    Peter Archive 12839.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Peter Archive 12845.jpg
    Peter Archive 12845.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 24

sannox

Great photos. The 1999 season was terrific. 4 genuinely fast teams who could win races - McLaren, Ferrari, Jordan and Stewart. 4 drivers up for the title. Unreliability still a lottery.

JD2168

Great photos. The 1999 season was terrific. 4 genuinely fast teams who could win races - McLaren, Ferrari, Jordan and Stewart. 4 drivers up for the title. Unreliability still a lottery.

At times it felt like in 99 that McLaren were trying to give away the title. Mika Salo would have won at Hockenheim if Eddie Irvine was not in championship contention. One funny part was the Eddie Irvine pit stop at the Nurburgring which had Murray Walker & Martin Brundle in conversation about it.

Another good part was Stewart winning the Nurburgring race with Johnny Herbert driving.

The way Michael Schumacher came back at Malaysia after breaking his leg at Stowe Corner at Silverstone out qualifying everyone by 7 tenths of a second then playing team games against Mika Hakkinen was a talking point & showed how Michael’s speed was still there.

sannox

At times it felt like in 99 that McLaren were trying to give away the title. Mika Salo would have won at Hockenheim if Eddie Irvine was not in championship contention. One funny part was the Eddie Irvine pit stop at the Nurburgring which had Murray Walker & Martin Brundle in conversation about it.

Another good part was Stewart winning the Nurburgring race with Johnny Herbert driving.

The way Michael Schumacher came back at Malaysia after breaking his leg at Stowe Corner at Silverstone out qualifying everyone by 7 tenths of a second then playing team games against Mika Hakkinen was a talking point & showed how Michael’s speed was still there.

The Irvine pitstop was unbelievable, but that race in 1999 is a classic. Mixed conditions, contenders spinning, crashing, retiring and Stewart winning their first GP - even Minardi got a point to outscore BAR. Netflix would kill for that!

Coulthard had real chance at that title too- if he hadn't lost it in the rain at Nürburgring, he'd have been 2 points behind going into the last couple of races. I just hate that F1 isn't like that any more!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
that is just showing off ;)

A good selection of pictures - I will have been in there somewhere!
1) It gets better: as a positioning flight, they weren't allowed to charge for it... :)

2) I don't suppose you took a picture of us flying low over the circuit by any chance...? If you did, I'd love to see it...

JD2168

30 years ago today Ayrton Senna was killed at the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola at the Tamburello corner on lap 7. The day before Roland Ratzenberger was killed at the Villeneuve kink in qualifying when his front wing detached & became wedged underneath the front wheels. On the Friday Rubén’s Barrichello survived a bad crash after exiting the Variante Bassa corner when his Jordan was launched into the air off a kerb.

A weekend that Formula One will never forget

bspahh

Established Member
30 years ago today Ayrton Senna was killed at the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola at the Tamburello corner on lap 7. The day before Roland Ratzenberger was killed at the Villeneuve kink in qualifying when his front wing detached & became wedged underneath the front wheels. On the Friday Rubén’s Barrichello survived a bad crash after exiting the Variante Bassa corner when his Jordan was launched into the air off a kerb.

It was the last Grand Prix I went to.

The week before, I was asked to go to Milan to teach a training course the following Tuesday. I checked the calendar and noticed the Grand Prix. I asked a friend if he wanted to come. We booked flights and a hire car and watch the race. The day before I checked my address book and realised a friend from University was living about 30 miles from Imola, so we could sleep over there.

For the qualifying on the Saturday, we were watched from the exit of Tosa, and saw the Roland Ratzenberger crash. For the race, we were on the bank at the complex before the start finish line. Senna was not popular with the Ferrari fans. When he crashed there was a big cheer. There wasn't much information available at the circuit. There were loudspeakers with commentary in the grandstands, but elsewhere there were a few people with radios. Someone near us had a pocket TV, but it was hard to see the screen in the sunshine. We only heard that he had died when we got back to my friend's at 10pm.

scragend

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was 13. I didn't see any of the weekend live - it was the Challenge Cup Final on the Saturday and I was in London. Got back to the hotel on the Saturday evening and saw on the news that Ratzenberger had been killed. I couldn't believe it - to me at that age that kind of thing didn't happen in F1 anymore; the last driver killed in a race weekend had been Riccardo Paletti in 1982 (and of course Villeneuve a month earlier) but I was too young to remember that. They were names from history to me.

And then Sunday. My dad and I had been on the Lord's cricket ground tour; we came out and decided to use our mini handheld TV to check on the Grand Prix. The sound and picture was terrible and all we could make out was that there was no racing going on, and the camera was just showing the pit lane. (The BBC cut away from the world feed, which was showing pictures from a helicopter hovering over the crash site. The BBC deemed this inappropriate and cut to its own camera instead, but the helicopter footage was broadcast in full on Eurosport.) It was clear that something had happened but we had no idea what. We thought we heard mention of Senna. It was only when we got home that evening that we found out he had died.

I think that was Verstappen ( Senior ) in Germany? The fuelling hose detached while still pumping. Same year, though...?

Yes, same year - Hockenheim 1994. The reason for the fire was that the valve stuck open, and when they removed the nozzle from the car fuel was still flowing.

The investigation concluded that the valve had stuck open because of the presence of a foreign body, but also noted that Benetton had removed a filter from the valve, thus allowing fuel to flow into the car more quickly.

Oh i think now it was a wheel came off a car in the pits that hit a mechanic, there was an incident in the pits anyway, just another aspect to that cursed race!

It was Alboreto's car that had the wheel come off.

Another thing to note about the race was the incident involving Erik Comas. His car had been in the pits being repaired at the time Senna crashed and the race was stopped. The team finished the repairs and, inexplicably, sent him out of the pits. Even more inexplicably the marshals at the end of the pit lane let him out onto the track and he went tearing off down to Tamburello, where he encountered a blocked track, a medical helicopter... and Senna.

The most poignant thing about that is that two years earlier at Spa, Comas himself had crashed heavily and it was Senna who stopped his own car and went to Comas' aid, switching off his engine and holding his head until the medics arrived.

Mogster

Rumours that Mercedes are pushing for Antonelli to replace Sergeant at Williams. The kid has enough SL points but isn’t yet 18 (August) and so doesn’t meet the current published requirements. A dispensation would require approval from several bodies and take some weeks.