• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Domh245

Established Member
It's a shame really - Alonso is, to be honest, well past his prime. Plenty of talent in the junior series who could (and should) be getting that seat!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
So Fernando Alonso is to make his return to F1 and Renault next year according to various souces

Might make things interesting depending on how Renault manage to develop this year's car in comparison to their rivals.
Aaaaaand dumbest signing of 2020 goes to Renault & Cyril Abiteboul!

Non Multi

It's good for the series promoter, Liberty as he's still a household name. Vettel will probably walk away this year, so that would have been another big name gone. The viewing figures have been down a bit in Spain since he left to do Indy, sportscars and rally raid.

Ocon/Alonso is a good pairing of youth and experience provided it doesn't turn sour.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Alonso is, to be honest, well past his prime.

No he's not, it's just he's been in a very poor car for many years. Dragging that McLaren into the points showed talent, but it's easy to dismiss finishing 9th as no big deal.

I imagine he'll be back to dragging a crap car around the bottom part of the midfield. No wonder Ricciardo couldn't wait to leave.

Darandio

Established Member
Surprising to see many comments here and elsewhere about him being past his prime or that a younger driver should have taken the seat alongside Ocon. This is all about building towards the regulation change in 2022, his experience will be vital to that, it's not an untested way to go about it and has been very successful in the past.

RichJF

Surprising to see many comments here and elsewhere about him being past his prime or that a younger driver should have taken the seat alongside Ocon. This is all about building towards the regulation change in 2022, his experience will be vital to that, it's not an untested way to go about it and has been very successful in the past.

Renault need a stable/reliable/experienced driver to go through the regulation changes in 2022 & Alonso ticks the box & has worked with some of the staff still there at Renault.
In 2023 I would expect Alonso to retire & Zhou to move into his seat.

Also... Mugello to host an F1 race for the first time. Italian double-header! https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-f1-race-calendar.2tpfQ80LAax8Q0j0OIxdct.html

Sergio Perez has tested POSITIVE for COVID and is out of this weekend's British Grand Prix and one would presume next weekend's 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - both at Silverstone.

Racing Point will confirm ASAP who will step in.

PG

Established Member

D365

Veteran Member
Wonder if that affects anyone else in his mini-bubble? e.g. engineers, trainer etc

Team personnel don’t tend to share a bubble with drivers from what I have read.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Hulkenberg has replaced Perez for at least the next 2 rounds. He did pretty well for himself considering it's his first time in an F1 car for over 8 months.

D365

Veteran Member
Hulkenberg has replaced Perez for at least the next 2 rounds. He did pretty well for himself considering it's his first time in an F1 car for over 8 months.

Seconded. Arrived into the Silverstone paddock with ten minutes to spare. And unlike the regular drivers who have also enjoyed time off, he hasn't taken part in any form of testing since leaving Renault.

9th in FP1 and 7th in FP2 confirms Nico was the correct choice and with the speed of Lance Stroll yesterday, the Pink Panthers I think are on for a big points haul tomorrow.

Qualy with rain this afternoon, could throw some spanner’s in the works!

D365

Veteran Member
9th in FP1 and 7th in FP2 confirms Nico was the correct choice and with the speed of Lance Stroll yesterday, the Pink Arrows I think are on for a big points haul tomorrow.

Dare I say I fixed that for you?

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

Domh245

Established Member
Well, next week will be interesting with Pirelli bringing a step softer tyres all round!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Ended up having to watch a race this afternoon in my local (they wouldn't put the snooker on). Apart from Penelope Pitstop who else who drives a pink car?

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Interesting that the burst tyres were put on during the safety car, maybe two or three laps sooner than they should have been? Red Bull were a bit daft, Max's late performances suggested the tyres were OK and as soon as Bottas blew, there was always a chance Hamilton would too, a greater chance of that than Verstappen's blowing IMO. Think the temptation of an extra point for the fastest lap had a lot to do with it. Chance to make the championship more interesting, er, blown there!

Next week, same course, different tyres, commentators suggest a three-stopper.

PG

Established Member
I wonder what counts as 'inconclusive'?
To sort of answer my own question
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53621542
Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer has said Perez's first test was on Wednesday, and at that point the requirement for people testing positive in the UK was to isolate only for seven days - which would make him available for the next race if he tests negative this coming week.

The advice changed on Thursday - when Perez had his second and confirmatory positive test - to 10 days' isolation, which would automatically put him out of the next race.

The team's position is that the Wednesday test was described as "inconclusive" mainly because the FIA has the facility to offer a quick re-test, and that by national standards the Wednesday test would have been and is regarded as a positive result.
So apparently a positive test is (in F1) inconclusive until you have two successive positive tests!

Nico Hülkenberg definitely doesn’t :(
Hopefully the Hulk will at least get to start the race next week! Really he deserves a seat more than that numpty Grosjean for example.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Hopefully the Hulk will at least get to start the race next week! Really he deserves a seat more than that numpty Grosjean for example.
I agree 100%. Renault should've gone with him instead of our favorite team ruiner Alonso. If Haas do boot Grosjean/he leaves, and Hulk doesn't want to bankrupt them this time, he's your man. Another option is Alfa Romeo since it's most likely that Kimi will leave but that rides on a Ferrari junior not getting the seat.

D365

Veteran Member
Another option is Alfa Romeo since it's most likely that Kimi will leave but that rides on a Ferrari junior not getting the seat.

As much as it pains me to say this, Giovinazzi isn’t exactly doing a lot anyway. Schwartzmann is the logical choice but unless he smashes the F2 this year I think they’ll want the publicity from the Schumacher name.

Either way, I doubt AlfaSauber (as Ted calls it) would want to give up a second seat for Ferrari, unless some heavy incentives are involved.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Giovinazzi isn’t exactly doing a lot anyway.
Gio has been a massive let down for the team.
Schwartzmann is the logical choice but unless he smashes the F2 this year I think they’ll want the publicity from the Schumacher name.
Schwartzmann would be my only logical choice. Bringing Mick into F1 now would just turn him into another Bruno Senna.

On the Hulk front, an outsider for him next season is Racing Point (soon to be Aston Martin). If some miracle happens and there's seat there next season, he's the obvious choice. I'm ruling Seb out now, after the last few races, I think he's mentally checked out of the sport.

Howardh

Established Member
Breaking news, McLaren have just signed a three-year contract with Robin Reliant to provide the cars.