• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fort William Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdbrain

Hi, I am attempting to book on the Fort William Sleeper (at the cheapest possible price) during the week starting 29th July. Booking horizons says that sleeper bookings are now open up until 2nd August but Scotrail wont let me buy any ticket for it (Even walk up tickets)? Any ideas why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ebore

Scotrail's site has sleeper reservations as open until July 12th. RTT has the sleepers going via the ECML until the 21st (Wigan blockade?) so presumably the timings are still unconfirmed.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I would give them a phone at 08457 55 00 33.
I've always found the sales staff very helpful with enquiries as well as bookings. (I have used this number frequently as bookings involving children can't be done online).

Haywain

Veteran Member
Probably because of this line: "Bookings are currently available for all Caledonian Sleeper tickets until Friday 12 July 2013.", on this website: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

I appreciate that it contradicts what NRES says, but the above also says to check back today for updates, so I'm more inclined to believe it.

insidetrack77

Its because Network Rail have yet to finalise the exact details of engineering works around this time. Scotrail's Twitter feed has been telling people this constantly, and yet when I travel on the sleeper I'm always struck by how underused it seems to be.

Birdbrain

Thanks for the replies. I was starting to panic to think it was somehow already booked up. I will keep a close eye on scotrail's site.

Who?

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just ask here.

I'm getting the sleeper from Glasgow - London in mid-July. Previously, the train has always left Glasgow around 23:40, getting in to London just before 7:00. However, this time it is leaving Glasgow at 21:40 and not getting in until close to 9:00.

I'm presuming this is due to some sort of engineering work that means the train has to take a different route or just go slower along the line. Is that correct?

Lee_Again

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just ask here.

I'm getting the sleeper from Glasgow - London in mid-July. Previously, the train has always left Glasgow around 23:40, getting in to London just before 7:00. However, this time it is leaving Glasgow at 21:40 and not getting in until close to 9:00.

I'm presuming this is due to some sort of engineering work that means the train has to take a different route or just go slower along the line. Is that correct?

You're probably correct but we would need to know the exact date to find out for sure.

Have a look at http://www.opentraintimes.com . Select the train on the date you're travelling and it will give you the route and timings.

Who?

You're probably correct but we would need to know the exact date to find out for sure.

Have a look at http://www.opentraintimes.com . Select the train on the date you're travelling and it will give you the route and timings.

Thanks. It's on the 16th of July. The train leaves Glasgow, stops at Motherwell, Carstairs and Edinburgh and then trundles its way down to London. I assume there's some sort of Engineering work going on down the west coast line and so the Sleeper is having to change its normal route?

It's a bit annoying getting in two hours later than normal, but no harm done.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It is going down the ECML and the NLL. There is a blockade on the WCML.

Birdbrain

Trying to book on the Fort William sleeper for two on 31st July. When you enter one passenger is gives a Bargain Berth and an Advance single. But when you enter two passengers it pushes it up to 200 pounds? No idea why its not letting me book for two people.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Presumably there is only one of each left. Book separately is the solution.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Probably not. If you get there early on the day, you could always ask the attendant for a swap. Usually works but not guaranteed though.

Birdbrain

Thanks for all your help. Booked onto the sleeper ok now, going to Fort William then onwards to Mallaig and across to Skye for a few nights. Then along the Kyle line, up to Wick and back then southwards on the chieftain first class thanks to my rewards points. Can't wait!

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There is a combined fare from Fort William [FTW] to Skye (Armadale) [ARA] here if required or if you have a train ticket you can get the ferry ticket from the guard on the Mallaig train here.

If you get a chance visit Plockton on the Kyle line. It's well worth the stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.