• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fotopic Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I think for many of us with Fotopic galleries, after weeks of bad service, the current problems have been the last straw.

What are the Fotopic alternatives out there?

I noticed that a certain previous RailUK owner has set up his own alternative as a money making scheme.

Would be nice if members could just mention gallery hosts and stuff that they would recommend. Doesn't matter if it's something like Coppermine where you have to host your own files, or something like Flickr where they do it for you.

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D306

Established Member
I use photobucket to store my images, I think loader and liam do the same as well, then direct link them into their websites

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have to say, I do like the look of Zen Photo. It looks far better than Coppermine IMO, but I don't know if it's easier to use.

RailUK has a little bit of space available if users would like their own gallery with ZEN or Coppermine, but it's not going to be something for everyone as there are alternatives out there. Please contact me.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ugh. You can create your own, but you need a good knowledge of XHTML, CSS and PHP.

Craig

Established Member
If there's one you like the look of you could probably bastardise it to make it look how you want.

devon_metro

Established Member
Modifying CSS isn't very difficult. Its normally just a case of changing colours, fonts etc

Gizmogle

Established Member
No, I can use CSS to an extent, but not sure I'd know enough to completely customize a theme to my likings.

Phoenix

Established Member
Honestly fotopic is just far more easier cause I don't have the time to build my own site and although yes all these alternatives like flick'r are good they fall in comparisonj to fotopic.I just wish they would sort the damn thing out as one the whole Class 30's were more friggin reliable than fotopic.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I'm not a fan of flickr.

But yeah, I love Fotopic too, but the reliability is just horrific.

kpmarek

People look for different things but I have only praise for Flickr after using it for over 2 years. The community aspect is great with comments, contacts, groups etc.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah, I've noticed that there is a nice community thing going on with Flickr, but I just don't like the look or feel of it and find it a little difficult to navigate.

Established Member
You don't need to worry anymore, its back now :) Ta mr IF on wnxx

Craig

Established Member
Yeah, I've noticed that there is a nice community thing going on with Flickr, but I just don't like the look or feel of it and find it a little difficult to navigate.

For just a photo account, Flickr isn't so good. Having a pro account (unlimited uploads, sets and collections) makes it just about manageable. The community aspect puts it miles ahead of the competition though, IMO.

Established Member
I use Flickr; it's good for me because ofm the community and also because I now upload very few of the photos I take (only 2 in december, and 1 so far this year :lol:)

class 313

Established Member
I use photobucket to store my images, I think loader and liam do the same as well, then direct link them into their websites

We do, I however use clickable thumbnails ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For just a photo account, Flickr isn't so good. Having a pro account (unlimited uploads, sets and collections) makes it just about manageable. The community aspect puts it miles ahead of the competition though, IMO.

You get unlimited sets and collections for free on photobucket!

Craig

Established Member
You get unlimited sets and collections for free on photobucket!

I find flickr a lot more aesthetically pleasing and organizable. I've also been approached to sell photos via the site too, which has paid for the cost of the pro account several times over.

nath9425

My point exactly! I want something that is personal to me and customizeable. I think Flickr is not the way to go - They just make your photos look fancier than they really are (somehow) and the community ... well you gotta have a bit of time to speak to all the community! <D

I tried it for a while, but no I didn't like it (Saying that it was marginally better than fotopic)

Nice to see some Zenphoto installations! Plus, Editing PHP isn't hard, it's all in English just look for the right things (Basic HTML sometimes) but apart from that - it's p!$$ easy! :p

Death

Established Member
Personally, I use ImageShack for all of my image hosting. It seems to work quite well for me and I havn't had too many problems with it - But I should point out that it's loaded with ads and rather ropey Javascript, and it's a right pig to use if ye have Firefox with the NoScript add-on. :?

Ugh. You can create your own, but you need a good knowledge of XHTML, CSS and PHP.
...And at least two of those languages are a doddle to learn if ye can find a decent beginners how-to, don't mind learning by example, and aren't afraid to reverse-engineer other people's code to see how it all works! <D

Anyhow...Another alternative for the Mac/iPhone users amongst ye might be Apple's iPhoto utility. I don't know the full ins and outs of it (Come on, I'm the worst person to ask about Macintosh related services! :lol:) but I do know that it has full seamless integration with MacOS X, possibly also with iTunes, and I'd imagine that Apple would give each customer at least 100Mb free space for their photographs. In addition, it's unlikely that Apple would fall to the current credit crisis, so account longevity would be almost guarenteed, too! 8)

Craig

Established Member
iPhoto is quite a useful tool, you can get plugins for uploading to flickr, facebook, etc. I think it can also create custom pages to upload to .mac, I've not really tried that though.

rmt

I find flickr a lot more aesthetically pleasing and organizable. I've also been approached to sell photos via the site too, which has paid for the cost of the pro account several times over.

I've sold several phots through flickr, which has helped pay for the pro account, and my other hosting..

Status
Not open for further replies.