• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

France Bans Short-haul Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Fundamentally, why not?
Fundamentally, why should a connecting flight be seen as any different from a non-connecting flight? Travelling by other means to the airport being connected to is always an option.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Irascible

Established Member
Swiss railways use hydro electric, which is fine as long as the reseroirs are full (they weren't last summer)

Hydro is interesting - while it's not something I expect the Swiss have to worry about, methane emissions from other areas can be quite nasty. Unfortunately don't have any figures to hand.

Other than London-Manchester and connection flights, domestic air in the UK is basically down to between islands or the extremities of the country, isn't it? if air is still competitive with an older well developed ( and for ships, relatively fast ) transport mode like ferries then I can't see that's going to change, and it's unlikely rail is ever going to really compete on SW-Scotland without a very heavily subsidised high-speed route...

zwk500

Veteran Member
Fundamentally, why should a connecting flight be seen as any different from a non-connecting flight? Travelling by other means to the airport being connected to is always an option.
Because a flight from Manchsster to New York isn't possible to replace with ground transportation, but it's possible to use a car, train or bus from Manchester to Heathrow to joint the flight to JFK there.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Fundamentally, why not?

Carbon Monoxide and Particulates (as well as Nitrogen Oxides I think?) from incomplete combustion in ICE engines are also a massive concern, not just CO2. Not sure how a jet engine performs on that front - presumably in normal operation Jet combustion is pretty much complete.
Yes but that's not the context in which it's being used.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Because a flight from Manchsster to New York isn't possible to replace with ground transportation, but it's possible to use a car, train or bus from Manchester to Heathrow to joint the flight to JFK there.
Er, that was exactly my point.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Geneva to Zurich flight is 50', Add 6' for Geneva Cornavin-Airport, plus 30' check-in/security, then 10' transfer off the plane to the ground transport plus 10-15' transfer to Zurich Hbf, you've got 1h46-51m journey against a current train ride of 2h46.

as long as you don‘t have a hold bag. My last wait at Geneva baggage reclaim was over a hour, and that was after an hour queuing at immigration…

zwk500

Veteran Member
as long as you don‘t have a hold bag. My last wait at Geneva baggage reclaim was over a hour, and that was after an hour queuing at immigration…
True, although I'm imaging a reasonably amount of this sort of travel can cope with a holdall of cabin size, either daytrips for business or a couple of nights' conferences. And presumably Geneva-Zurich as an internal flight does not need immigration clearance, or do the Swiss make everybody go through anyway?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
True, although I'm imaging a reasonably amount of this sort of travel can cope with a holdall of cabin size, either daytrips for business or a couple of nights' conferences. And presumably Geneva-Zurich as an internal flight does not need immigration clearance, or do the Swiss make everybody go through anyway?

oh no, immigration is just for us special people non Schengen.

Citybreak1

Not sure if it’s climate agenda in France but I would ban Scotland to London flights especially when HS2 opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.