• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fratton to Canterbury via Barnham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex C.

I don't think there's any risk of pricing managers latching onto this as these routed tickets are well known as good value and have been around for many years.

I am looking at the £34.90 off peak return. These have a 4B restriction, which has nothing of note and a route restriction of "Via Barnham"

Journey planners route these via the South Coast and Ashford, resulting in a long journey with lots of changes. Can they be used Fratton -> Brighton -> St Pancras -> Canterbury? I presume there is some electronic data in the background preventing them from being offered (as it significantly undercuts the usual fare you'd pay on that route) but as far as I can see, the journey would be on a permitted route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
.... I presume there is some electronic data in the background preventing them from being offered (as it significantly undercuts the usual fare you'd pay on that route) but as far as I can see, the journey would be on a permitted route.
You're correct ...

Route:00947 ( VIA BARNHAM )

Route must exclude London

Exclude the following locations:-
BMS Bromley South
DFD Dartford
EBD Ebbsfleet International Domestic
ORP Orpington
SFA Stratford International

Include all of the following locations:-
BAA Barnham

Shotton

Apologies to bump this thread, but I have found what appears to be another example of this.

I would rather not share the details, since I think it does undercut the intended fare, although if someone is able to advise privately I would be happy to.

I would like to use a TOC restricted ticket on a route that is mapped, but when I generate itineraries involving only the relevant companies, I am only offered the any permitted off peak single, rather than the TOC restricted one.

I am right in saying that the restricted ticket should be valid, since it has no route restrictions, despite any electronic restrictions that prevent journey planners issuing it? Thanks for any advice.

paul1609

Established Member
I don't think there's any risk of pricing managers latching onto this as these routed tickets are well known as good value and have been around for many years.

I am looking at the £34.90 off peak return. These have a 4B restriction, which has nothing of note and a route restriction of "Via Barnham"

Journey planners route these via the South Coast and Ashford, resulting in a long journey with lots of changes. Can they be used Fratton -> Brighton -> St Pancras -> Canterbury? I presume there is some electronic data in the background preventing them from being offered (as it significantly undercuts the usual fare you'd pay on that route) but as far as I can see, the journey would be on a permitted route.
Although these tickets are described as via Barnham the actual tickets are issued as Route Edenbridge or Polegate only, so don't think you'll get away with using them through the Ulez!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Although these tickets are described as via Barnham the actual tickets are issued as Route Edenbridge or Polegate only, so don't think you'll get away with using them through the Ulez!
No. Fratton to Canterbury West is 'via Barnham', and will be issued as such.

There are different flows where a 'via Edenbridge and Polegate' restriction will apply, such as Fratton to Wadhurst.

kieron

Established Member
Journey planners route these via the South Coast and Ashford, resulting in a long journey with lots of changes. Can they be used Fratton -> Brighton -> St Pancras -> Canterbury?
It looks valid. There are no easements which refer specifically to "via Barnham" tickets, and nre.co.uk shows the route you suggest as being valid with a "+any permitted" ticket (there are lots of easements which refer to "any permitted", but none are relevant here).

That said, what you describe sounds to me like a long route with a lot of changes. If you just want to go via Barnham and London, going via Horsham would usually save time.
I would like to use a TOC restricted ticket on a route that is mapped, but when I generate itineraries involving only the relevant companies, I am only offered the any permitted off peak single, rather than the TOC restricted one.
Some TOC restricted tickets do have hidden route restrictions. If you could just tell us the route printed on the ticket (preferably with the route code), we could tell you if it's affected by anything like this.

Shotton

Some TOC restricted tickets do have hidden route restrictions. If you could just tell us the route printed on the ticket (preferably with the route code), we could tell you if it's affected by anything like this.
That would be much appreciated, thank you. The route is 00371 WMR/LNR/TFW ONLY.

If this is the case, are these hidden restrictions enforceable?

SargeNpton

Established Member
That would be much appreciated, thank you. The route is 00371 WMR/LNR/TFW ONLY.

If this is the case, are these hidden restrictions enforceable?
00371 has no geographic restrictions. However, any proposed journey would have to meet the overall rules of the Routeing Guide as to what was or wasn't a valid route.

Shotton

00371 has no geographic restrictions. However, any proposed journey would have to meet the overall rules of the Routeing Guide as to what was or wasn't a valid route.
Thank you - after searching, I have found a negative easement that is prohibiting these tickets being sold, turns out I could not find it before because I was searching for WMR/LNR/TFW ONLY and it still uses the old name of the restriction (ATW/LM only), but I just checked all easements involving the origin, and have found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.