• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight blocks WCML (again..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianthegiant

www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/10162736._
says:
"Rail passengers face delays in Watford Junction station today. A freight train has broken down in the station and is causing delays and alterations to rail services. A locomotive is currently on its way to rescue the stricken engine."

Is it me or does this seem to happen quite regularly on the WCML? would the freight operator get stung under delay attribution?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes, massively, around £100 per attributable minute to a Virgin service. Less for a LM and Southern.

GB

Established Member
Not too sure on the specifics to be honest. Probably different for each company but I think for freight it's something like 30k per incident.

Established Member
Was 66006 on 6H50 Willesden ET to Tunstead, from what I have heard it wasn't actually in Watford Tunnel but stopped just to the south of it possibly with the rear end foul of Watford North Jn. Think 92037 off 6A42 was used to return 6H50 to Wembley where it still resides.

brianthegiant, I don't personally consider that there are a lot of freight train failures on the WCML relative to the number of such trains that actually run - passenger trains cause a lot more trouble :lol:

Total delay minutes for the incident are around 1,400 minutes.

tsr

Established Member
That would be the Up sleeper from Fort William cancelled wouldn't it ?

Some kind of fault - no idea if its the 67 or coaches what are the problem.

Yes. A faulty freight train is blocking the line. 6S(45?) tanks. I have absolutely no idea yet what the fault is! :s

Smudger105e

Not too sure on the specifics to be honest. Probably different for each company but I think for freight it's something like 30k per incident.

I know that in the past my FOC has incurred costs of £300,000+ for one incident, although there may be a cap these days, I'm not sure.

Most, if not all, FOCs and TOCs have delay attribution sections, whose function is to check delay cots, to check the attribution is correct, and to reject incorrectly allocated delay costs.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Most, if not all, FOCs and TOCs have delay attribution sections, whose function is to check delay cots, to check the attribution is correct, and to reject incorrectly allocated delay costs.

They then go to the delay attribution board and fight long and expensive cases over things like the argument over whether a pheasant is a 'large' or a 'small' bird.

What fun this is.

GearJammer

Funny, if it was the M1/M25 and a broken down truck was causing massive delays everybody would be shouting freight should be on the rails.....

So i guess going on that theory they best put freight back on the road :D

Status
Not open for further replies.