• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner - Trainee Drivers (05/12/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chalkijr

Hey guys, I passed my DMI on the 23/02/23 for a position in Crewe.

I'm just wondering if anyone else going for a Crewe position did so at a similar date, and what time frame they have been given regards jumping on a course?

I've been told "next year however things may change".

BobCratchit

Hey guys, I passed my DMI on the 23/02/23 for a position in Crewe.

I'm just wondering if anyone else going for a Crewe position did so at a similar date, and what time frame they have been given regards jumping on a course?

I've been told "next year however things may change".
Where did you get the information that it’ll probably be next year, was that from someone at the depot? I’d love to know timeframes but I was just told that there’s no indication as of yet…

chalkijr

Where did you get the information that it’ll probably be next year, was that from someone at the depot? I’d love to know timeframes but I was just told that there’s no indication as of yet…
I chased HR and asked them specifically when there would be a spot available on a course. The time frame they gave me was " it's unlikely to be this year, however we are still allocating places, so things may change" ‍

Got a phone call yesterday asking me if I want to take a shunters role but I'm really unsure as what to do... Was told I'd be starting that October/November rather than waiting until next year for mainline. Which two people have said to me now.

Nat93

I chased HR and asked them specifically when there would be a spot available on a course. The time frame they gave me was " it's unlikely to be this year, however we are still allocating places, so things may change" ‍

Got a phone call yesterday asking me if I want to take a shunters role but I'm really unsure as what to do... Was told I'd be starting that October/November rather than waiting until next year for mainline. Which two people have said to me now.
Hi have they offered you a shunter job or a shunter driver position? X

BobCratchit

I guess it’s good that they’ve offered you something in the interim, I’ve no idea what they pay for the shunter role but I’d probably consider it - although that’s probably because I’ve been really wanting to get onto the railways for some time now!!!

Aspen90

Not going to lie - I feel like it’s such an anticlimax…

We were rushed through the process with the same phrase at the start of each email “this is the only date available so we really hope you can make it” or something similar. Used god knows how many holiday days which are limited as it is to be told - well nothing as the email said we ‘may’ keep you in a talent pool.

So that’s a year gone from the psychometric validity timeframe before we even get anywhere. The DMI, I was led to believe they’d be calling me with a location and a date as they told me to ‘negotiate your notice period with your manager’, along with offering various locations.

I wonder how much smaller the talent pool will be next year when people have taken roles in the mean time? If something comes up in the meantime I certainly won’t be saying no, it’s hard enough to get to this stage so I’ll take whatever comes my way.

Still, not a bad position to be in but frustrating all the same…

chalkijr

Hi have they offered you a shunter job or a shunter driver position? X
Shunter driver, starting on 42k.

I guess it’s good that they’ve offered you something in the interim, I’ve no idea what they pay for the shunter role but I’d probably consider it - although that’s probably because I’ve been really wanting to get onto the railways for some time now!!!
Yes and no. I don't currently have a bad job, so I'm not in a rush to start however moving from my current role to shunter driver would yes be a stepping stone and foot in the door. But you have to do that role for a minimum of 18 months/2 years I've been told. So having to wait until October/ November to start that job or wait a couple more months on top of that to get hopefully a mainline position seems more logical for me. I just don't want to wait 2/3+ years to get the role I really want and applied for. I can afford to be patient and hopefully it will pay dividends, but only time will tell I suppose...

BobCratchit

Yes and no. I don't currently have a bad job, so I'm not in a rush to start however moving from my current role to shunter driver would yes be a stepping stone and foot in the door. But you have to do that role for a minimum of 18 months/2 years I've been told. So having to wait until October/ November to start that job or wait a couple more months on top of that to get hopefully a mainline position seems more logical for me. I just don't want to wait 2/3+ years to get the role I really want and applied for. I can afford to be patient and hopefully it will pay dividends, but only time will tell I suppose...
If you’d be stuck in the shunter role for a couple of years, or thereabouts, then I guess it’s no brainer, just be patient like you say and wait for the job you really want. Hope you get a course date soon mate.

Goddstop

Hi everyone, just tried to catch up on this thread as much as possible.

I’m already an internal employee for FL, I passed the tests in Watford, passed the DFFT about 4ish weeks ago. Finally received the date for my TTD interview for Crewe today.

I think if I pass this interview but get thrown into the talent pool I’ll go elsewhere. I’m lucky enough to have high up contacts in other TOCs. It’s quite annoying knowing that by the time you would get on a course next year you could potentially nearly passed out in the same amount of time.

I have a question though, does anyone know which side their application is for i.e heavy haul or intermodal? I haven’t been told which one just know the advert was for both

My ex co worker went to be shunter waiting for the course. He was there a few years and still didn’t get put forward. He ended up doing his testing himself and went to GBRF. The upside was as he was already a qualified shunter they put him on shunting wage to start with rather than the first trainee wage

Seejwalker

If I was you personally. I’d bite their hand off.
Ok it’s not the role you want, but it’s a close as you’re getting right now, and certainly a good potential lifeline.
Anything can happen between now and next year, Freightliner may lose a contract, they could have internal transfers etc….
Shunter will give give you a brilliant foothold for becoming a driver later on.

That’s my advice anyway as a new Freight driver. There’s 7 on my course that had been shunters / train person before.

GLENMAYE77

Shunt Driver at Basford Hall gets you a full Train Driving Licence too as you do mainline shunts in to Crewe Station.

If I was you personally. I’d bite their hand off.
Ok it’s not the role you want, but it’s a close as you’re getting right now, and certainly a good potential lifeline.
Anything can happen between now and next year, Freightliner may lose a contract, they could have internal transfers etc….
Shunter will give give you a brilliant foothold for becoming a driver later on.

That’s my advice anyway as a new Freight driver. There’s 7 on my course that had been shunters / train person before.
Yep I can only echo what you’ve said.

Plenty at my area moving up from positions as Ground staff to Depot Driver and also Depot Driver to Mainline.
It’s 2 years minimum in the role before you can apply for another role, however I do believe it’s management discretion.

Worth noting too, once in the shunt driver role, the T&C stipulate any mainline jobs that come up should go through internal applicants first.

chalkijr

I really appreciate all the feedback and advice from everyone!

I have already decided to turn down the offer though I have to admit...

It really was a tough choice and totally understand what your all saying regards anything could happen etc, so I may not get what I want in the long run anyway. And being a shunt driver in the mean time would be a great way to learn and prepare me for a mainline driver.

I think if I could start earlier than the preposed October/November then I'd definitely be snapping at it. But with the driver apprenticeship course being 1-3 months after potentially is a risk I want to take.

Seejwalker

It really was a tough choice and totally understand what your all saying regards anything could happen etc, so I may not get what I want in the long run anyway. And being a shunt driver in the mean time would be a great way to learn and prepare me for a mainline driver.

I think if I could start earlier than the preposed October/November then I'd definitely be snapping at it. But with the driver apprenticeship course being 1-3 months after potentially is a risk I want to take.
Well best of luck and hopefully it all pans out for you.

GLENMAYE77

I got the same choice a few years ago, I also turned it down and was offered a mainline position 7 mths later.

One thing to bear in mind is that shunt drivers start on the full salary and retain it during mainline training so do not drop to the £20+k trainee mainline rates…..helped a few out financially who took the option, all of whom have since gone mainline.

The Ghoul

Go for it, get some railway experience under your belt. Shunting isn't a bad job.

Miltsey!

Hi all. I’m waiting for my Stage 1 in person assessments with FL as trainee train driver next month but I just wondered if anyone had an idea of what a typical shift pattern would be please? I appreciate it’s a long way off (if so get there obviously) but just a general idea would be good. Thanks in advance!

Jobi-wan

Hi all. I’m waiting for my Stage 1 in person assessments with FL as trainee train driver next month but I just wondered if anyone had an idea of what a typical shift pattern would be please? I appreciate it’s a long way off (if so get there obviously) but just a general idea would be good. Thanks in advance!
Are you applying for HH or IM?

It’s HH
3 bands
A band = 00:00-08:00
B band = 08:00-16:00
C band = 16:00-00:00

Roster comes out on a Friday but you get 38 weeks worth of banding so you know what banding you’ll be on with plenty of notice.

Start times can vary between the times stated above for each band.

Miltsey!

Ahh I'm IM so can't help. I'm sure there's some HH drivers around on here who might be able to enlighten you! Good luck with the psychometrics
Thanks very much!

3 bands
A band = 00:00-08:00
B band = 08:00-16:00
C band = 16:00-00:00

Roster comes out on a Friday but you get 38 weeks worth of banding so you know what banding you’ll be on with plenty of notice.

Start times can vary between the times stated above for each band.
Fab, thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.