• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner - what’s it like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tophat

Hi everyone,

m just wondered whether anyone has any insight into what it’s like to work for Freightliner? Particularly Leeds depot!
What’s the work like?
Hours
Shift pattern
Management
Actual work/ life balance?
Would you prefer passenger or freight ‍

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 9

2 depots in Leeds. Heavy Haul at Midland Road, Hunslet and Intermodal at Stourton.

4F89

Hi everyone,

m just wondered whether anyone has any insight into what it’s like to work for Freightliner? Particularly Leeds depot!
What’s the work like?
Hours
Shift pattern
Management
For what role?

Heaps92

Hi everyone,

What’s the work like?
Hours
Shift pattern
Management
I use to be an MSO at Stourton Leeds if you need any information

class 9

Good little depot Leeds Intermodal.
Routes: Leeds FLT to Peterborough ( via ECML and via Lincoln)
Leeds FLT to Birmingham (via Erewash) not sure whether they still sign via Derby??
13 week link, mixture of days,afters & nights, only a couple of Saturday shifts & no Sundays.
Booked jobs in the link, also AL is in the link (week 1).

Heaps92

Driver

Just wondered what it’s like as a driver there. Think stourton is one that’s advertised but a variety of things from good to horrendous really
Drivers I use to load loved it. Step on step off no going in-between. Draw train in shunter jumps on take it to end if terminal. Maybe one or 2 shunts then hook off and go home maybe take it to midland Road or whatever Diagram says. Terms and conditions are great from what I got told worth the lower salary which you can make up in rest day work anyway

Dieseldriver

Drivers I use to load loved it. Step on step off no going in-between. Draw train in shunter jumps on take it to end if terminal. Maybe one or 2 shunts then hook off and go home maybe take it to midland Road or whatever Diagram says. Terms and conditions are great from what I got told worth the lower salary which you can make up in rest day work anyway
The hours and terms and conditions are great compared to other FOCs. However, they are not great when compared to TOCs.

Heaps92

The hours and terms and conditions are great compared to other FOCs. However, they are not great when compared to TOCs.
Oh no totally agree, I'd do anything for a 13 week roster and not a weekly flex roster that I have at my FOC. I think if FL-IM paid what gbrf or colas do and kept there terms and conditions then a lot of passenger men would jump ship

Crazyb

Oh no totally agree, I'd do anything for a 13 week roster and not a weekly flex roster that I have at my FOC. I think if FL-IM paid what gbrf or colas do and kept there terms and conditions then a lot of passenger men would jump ship
When we first kicked off in 1998, I'm sure we were 3rd in the table, even above Virgin. It used to be Eurostar, GNER and then Freightliner....Not sure what went wrong there!!!

You can't really beat Freightliner IM, but like Heaps92 says, crap money really.

Heaps92

When we first kicked off in 1998, I'm sure we were 3rd in the table, even above Virgin. It used to be Eurostar, GNER and then Freightliner....Not sure what went wrong there!!!

You can't really beat Freightliner IM, but like Heaps92 says, crap money really.
Are aslef not after a better pay deal? Surely even 2.5% would be nice

col68

What is the basic salary for intermodal please?

What's the salary at fl please?

Last edited:

Tophat

Hi, just wondered whether there’s much difference between Freightliner Heavy haul & intermodal if you happen to know?

Heaps92

Hi, just wondered whether there’s much difference between Freightliner Heavy haul & intermodal if you happen to know?
Yes read below haha perfect answer. Heavy haul more variety I'd say on routes aswell but you don't know what your doing really from week to week
Alot of ballast turns aswell lad I work with just left heavy haul

4F89

HH you have more opportunities for some hard-core overtime, IM, not so much

Tophat

HH you have more opportunities for some hard-core overtime, IM, not so much
Do you happen to know what’s shifts are like between them both? 5/ 6 day weeks with 2/3 off?? Guessing all are about 10 hour turns

dannydm1

Heavy Haul ar on around 55k, slightly higher brick then IM however no benefits. Ie - no extra for rest days, bank Holidays etc. When you take into account the uplifts that IM get then there isn't much between them.

Are you looking at HH? Max 12hr turns. Plenty of guys working 60hrs + weeks. Roster comes out on Friday tea time for the following week, so difficult to plan anything out of work. Lots of weekend work. It follows a 52 week roster or either A bands, b bands, c bands or RD.

A = to start shift anytime between 00.01 - 08.00 , B - 08.01 - 16.00 , C - 16.00 - 23.00

Are aslef not after a better pay deal? Surely even 2.5% would be nice
Pay talks should have been in October. But nobody has informed the drivers of any result

dannydm1

You'll have to check with someone from IM. I know they do get allowances etc, such as for taking a phone call.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Haha, I am from IM, we don't get any "extra" for rest days or bank holidays compared to HH, but yes we get little allowances like that to try and close the pay gap a bit.

Tophat

Yes read below haha perfect answer. Heavy haul more variety I'd say on routes aswell but you don't know what your doing really from week to week
Alot of ballast turns aswell lad I work with just left heavy haul
Hi can I ask what a ballast turn is please? Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.