• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Friday 19th August. Kew to Leicester. Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanneparis

Can anyone please offer some advice.

I shall be in London for 5 days prior to 19th August and hope to travel back from Kew To Leicester on Friday evening 19th August.

I realise there is a strike on but I have no choice on the date I travel - family matter

Is it the case that during the last strike some trains did run?

If so does anyone have any idea what might happen on the 19th? Will there perhaps be some service?

Also... will they run a rail replacement service?

Thanks for any help

Regards

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member

I shall be in London for 5 days prior to 19th August and hope to travel back from Kew To Leicester on Friday evening 19th August.

I realise there is a strike on but I have no choice on the date I travel - family matter

If so does anyone have any idea what might happen on the 19th? Will there perhaps be some service?

Also... will they run a rail replacement service?

Thanks for any help

Regards
Strikes are on August 18th and 20th. There will be some disruption to services on Friday 18th but it shouldn’t prevent you travelling. The trains will, however, be very busy on that day. You certainly should not expect rail replacement buses though.

suzanneparis

Strikes are on August 18th and 20th. There will be some disruption to services on Friday 18th but it shouldn’t prevent you travelling. The trains will, however, be very busy on that day. You certainly should not expect rail replacement buses though.
Many thanks. Sorry I was confused. I thought it was 18-20. Will I be able to book seats for the 19th and if so will the bookings count or will they not be operational? Thanks again

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Thanks for any help

Regards
The only strike on 19th August is by RMT members at London Underground. Therefore there is likely to be a very limited service on the Tube, if anything.

To cross London, you may need to use a bus (though these are likely to be extremely busy as a result), taxi, or alternative route avoiding the need for the Tube (e.g. using Thameslink).

Whilst there will still be some impact on National Rail services as a result of the RMT strike on 18th August, in most areas there should be a fairly normal timetable operating - after a later than usual startup, around 7:30am.

Many thanks. Sorry I was confused. I thought it was 18-20. Will I be able to book seats for the 19th and if so will the bookings count or will they not be operational? Thanks again
It depends on the way each operator is handling the later startup on the 19th. But for EMR, you are safe to book seats now, as they are keeping their usual timetable for most of the day, mainly just cancelling services before 7:30am. SWR similarly, although they obviously don't have seat reservations.

suzanneparis

Many thanks , very kind of you. Much appreciated.

I am also making the same journey on Friday 12th from Kew to Leicester

Is any action taking place on either the tube or railways?

Best wishes

Kite159

Veteran Member
Assuming you are starting from Kew Bridge, one way to avoid the tube strike on the 19th is to change at Clapham Junction for an Overground to Willesden Junction, changing to an Euston train to take you into Euston for a short walk to St Pancras.

Or stay on the Overground to West Hampstead to take a Thameslink service from West Hampstead Thameslink into St Pancras.

Snow1964

Established Member
No strikes on 12th August (and won’t be because of 14 days notice rule).

Fastest route from St Pancras to Kew is Victoria line to Vauxhall then SWR to Kew Bridge (or Richmond if south part of Kew)

Kew Gardens on Overground (and District line) might be nearer your destination.

If there are tube strikes, possibly go to Waterloo, short walk to Blackfriars (for Thameslink to St Pancras), alternatively a 65 bus to Ealing Broadway and Elizabeth line to Farringdon (might be quickest once don’t have to change at Paddington).

I am guessing at certain times Euston-Nuneaton-Leicester might be quicker than via St Pancras (I think Avanti might not charge peak fares on Fridays nowadays, which might be relevant if travelling on a Friday peak).

Status
Not open for further replies.