• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Front end of northern Civitys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think they look fine enough, however as with just about every livery I find dialling back the yellow to a smaller panel from a full face looks a lot better. The other UK Civitys don't even have any yellow, so I also made one in white to match the body sides. This way you can definitely see a resemblance to an open-nose 397 or the MK5a driving end. And it'll look great for the first half hour out of a wash, after that might be another story!
That makes a huge difference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
I think they look fine enough, however as with just about every livery I find dialling back the yellow to a smaller panel from a full face looks a lot better. The other UK Civitys don't even have any yellow, so I also made one in white to match the body sides. This way you can definitely see a resemblance to an open-nose 397 or the MK5a driving end. And it'll look great for the first half hour out of a wash, after that might be another story!
How about black instead of the white

modernrail

That makes a huge difference.
Doesn’t it. Can’t decide if I prefer the white or less yellow. I suspect if looking from a side angle the white due to the overall livery but the yellow is a big improvement as well. That little bit of paint just seems to make the whole front end ‘sit down’ a bit more.

Reminded me instantly of the 170 as well. Just looking at the livery on the 170’s, if you lost the top strip of yellow and moved the yellow in a touch at the bottom I think the two classes would look pretty similar to the untrained eye.

Actually shocked by what a difference that makes! Wish they would implement one of those 2. Maybe Northern can offer a ‘sponsor 2 fairly small strips of vinyl’ in return for naming the train if money is tight.

Now just the strange noises and ride to sort. Any hope of either of those benefitting from similar small tweaks?

Last edited:

Grumpy Git

On Moderation

Small yellow end is a massive improvement.

modernrail

A bit harder to make it look natural, but I gave it a go.
Prefer the yellow or white. Maybe making the white strips on the underside at either side northern purple or whatever it is called would be good as well.

js1000

How did Northern Civitys end up with such a naff front end? It has been bothering me since they were introduced. They looks ridiculous. Yet looking at the rest of the ‘family’ in Europe they seem to have very decent and similar designs. On the basis it is surely more costly to change a previously rolled out design than just repeat it - how did it come to be?

I am less certain but the general sturdiness and certainly ride of Civity trains I have travelled on in Europe also seems better and there are most certainly less weird noises.
I quite like the 195/331 front ends actually with panoramic windscreen. Looks like driver gets a plush cab as well which can't be said for a lot of rolling stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.