• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

G4s (I think) staff swearing at me

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywandy

If you want to take the matter further, I wouldnt rely on the staff member passing the complaint on (no disrepect to rail staff implied) but would complain formally to the station operator which is actually Network Rail, AND to Northern.

The fact that BOJ may not be permitted on this particular ticket in this direction is irrelevant. Swearing is swearing.

BTW I can see no reason why that particular ticket carries restriction 8A. Normally the restriction is used to prevent people using an 8A fare to get round a restriction on a shorter distance journey, but I can't see where that applies in North Wales - any fares expert know?

I'm more after an apology, not really pursuing northern rail stm or whoever for money. If I did complain to Northern, could they not turn around and pursue me for a RORA prosecution as (technically) my ticket had a restriction code 8a even though I did not know. (I know it's still my fault)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
andywandy - if you wish to make a complaint, you would need to do so yourself.
If the OP was not informed of said restriction at the time of purchase, (and the ticket endorsed with Restrictions Advised) then surely the restriction is not valid?
Agreed, I posted on that matter here.

As it was the return portion in this case, break of journey was permitted, so it's moot.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If I did complain to Northern, could they not turn around and pursue me for a RORA prosecution as (technically) my ticket had a restriction code 8a even though I did not know. (I know it's still my fault)
No. The restriction does not apply on the return portion. You were not informed of any such restriction. At that stage, you had not yet broken your journey anyway! Even if it wasn't allowed and you had been informed, you could have either continued to Burnage or been charged the correct excess fare.

You may be interested to read our Fares Guide; we have a section dedicated to break of journey.

island

Veteran Member
BTW I can see no reason why that particular ticket carries restriction 8A. Normally the restriction is used to prevent people using an 8A fare to get round a restriction on a shorter distance journey, but I can't see where that applies in North Wales - any fares expert know?

It's a historic matter. Traditionally, the ticket type now known as an off-peak return was called a saver return and these usually carried no time restriction but break of journey was prohibited on the outbound journey. Since "simplification", a whole range of formerly unrestricted off-peak returns have gained restrictions, most notably those priced by Arriva CrossCountry.

miami

Established Member
No. The restriction does not apply on the return portion.

But this was the outbound:

an off peak return from Bangor Gwynedd rail station to Burnage

You were not informed of any such restriction. At that stage, you had not yet broken your journey anyway! Even if it wasn't allowed and you had been informed, you could have either continued to Burnage or been charged the correct excess fare.

He hadn't, but he went on and did afterwards. However he had permission from the ticket inspectors, so that's fine - the phrase "let me off this time" to the man on the Castleton Omnibus would clearly be a one-off permission.

Not sure what rule he'd be prosecuted under. Surely not a bylaw, as at no stage was he on a train without a valid ticket.

crehld

Established Member
I'm more after an apology, not really pursuing northern rail stm or whoever for money. If I did complain to Northern, could they not turn around and pursue me for a RORA prosecution as (technically) my ticket had a restriction code 8a even though I did not know. (I know it's still my fault)

Please do complain and seek an apology. Your case is hardly isolated and being sworn at by STM staff is far too common. It's anti rail and the attitude of some of them undermines the credibility and reputation of dedicated and hard working railway staff. Pressure does need to increase on Northern to do something about it.

island

Veteran Member
If the OP was not informed of said restriction at the time of purchase, (and the ticket endorsed with Restrictions Advised) then surely the restriction is not valid?

It is.

A breach of one part of the NRCoC by the staff does not condone a further breach of another by the passenger.

Established Member
Technically he's right:

Restriction code 8A: Break of journey is not
permitted except to change
trains at an intermediate
station or to access station
facilities.

So he shouldn't have "let you off".

However there no reason why you couldn't use the facilities at Piccadilly while changing train so he had no grounds to prevent you from passing. Had you left the station that's when you'd have broken the t&c of the ticket. As a member of rail staff allowed you to though you didn't actually do anything wrong. Had he just waved you trough you'd have been in the wrong.

Never an excuse for swearing about a specific customer, earshot or not.

Just to be clear to the OP 8A only prohibits BOJ on the outward portion.

Yorkie - as far as I can tell the passenger purchased his return ticket at Bangor and was traveling from Bangor on the outward portion ending short at Manchester
andywandy - if you wish to make a complaint, you would need to do so yourself.

Agreed, I posted on that matter here.

As it was the return portion in this case, break of journey was permitted, so it's moot.

No. The restriction does not apply on the return portion. You were not informed of any such restriction. At that stage, you had not yet broken your journey anyway! Even if it wasn't allowed and you had been informed, you could have either continued to Burnage or been charged the correct excess fare.

You may be interested to read our Fares Guide; we have a section dedicated to break of journey.

As we all know the railways are not generally known for taking ignorance or lack of information as an excuse for getting out of anything relating to ticketing offences!

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
But this was the outbound:

Yorkie - as far as I can tell the passenger purchased his return ticket at Bangor
Both, please see the below quote from the passenger - it would seem the were on the return portion:
I was on the return portion of my journey, therefore was I allowed to break my journey?

sorry, what I meant to say was, IF Ihad been travelling on the outbound part of my journey (burnage ---> chester) Could I have broken my journey, not that I did. Alsois it likely the virgin person did pass on my complaint?
To clarify, on the out portion of said ticket, break of journey and arguably starting and finishing short are prohibited. On the return portion, you are perfectly fine. Tickets for different journeys may differ in this regard.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Both, please see the below quote from the passenger - it would seem the were on the return portion:
To clarify, on the out portion of said ticket, break of journey and arguably starting and finishing short are prohibited.

I debate that with regard to finishing short, particularly given ATOC's position on the matter posted here on many occasions. However, the OP was *certainly* entitled to pass the barrier to use station services, as that is not a Break of Journey (as unlike an Advance ticket the journey could continue on a later service - again if you do not leave the station that is *not* Break of Journey). Therefore, the only place a barrier can be placed to enforce against ending short is at the boundary of Railway property. I have never seen this done, ever.

Therefore, to all intents and purposes, ending short is de-facto OK on all walk-up tickets, and the Northern rent-a-thug had no business attempting to prevent the OP from passing the barrier to spend as long as he wished using station facilities, of which there are plenty at Picc.

Last edited:

miami

Established Member

However originally he said
I held a young persons railcard and purchased an off peak return from Bangor Gwynedd rail station to Burnage before travelling.

I originally purchased a ticket to burnage as I planned on walking home, however my dad offered to pick me up at Piccadilly)

Therefore, to all intents and purposes, ending short is permitted on all walk-up tickets, and the Northern rent-a-thug had no business attempting to prevent the OP from passing the barrier to spend as long as he wished using station facilities.

Theoretically I guess someone could observe you leaving and use that as evidence for fraud. Pretty long shot.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Theoretically I guess someone could observe you leaving and use that as evidence for fraud. Pretty long shot.

Possibly via the CCTV, yes, but that really is a long shot. I don't know what DaveNewcastle would see as the likelihood of that succeeding? Though I suppose it wouldn't stop a Penalty Fake being tried; there doesn't need to be an actual case for one of those, just a fear of one.

All this really does is provides another example as to why poorly-trained security staff should not be doing this kind of front-line role, and the new Northern franchisee really does need to sort this out. I suppose the advantages of barriering Picc will be that you need fewer staff to man barriers than to check tickets, so they could use proper railwaymen with proper training. I would be amazed to see any member of proper rail staff query such a thing as this.

Rent-a-thug security guards have a role, and that role is guarding things where there shouldn't be people, and so anyone they encounter is automatically in the wrong, for example factories overnight. They should never, ever be used in a customer-facing day to day role like this.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think the answer is quite clear in one respect, that break of journey is not permitted if you are on the outward portion, but undoubtedly permitted if using the return portion. There are further arguments regarding the enforceability of this restriction which depends on a whole host of factors such as whether you were advised of this at the time of purchase but this is all a bit pointless in your case because you are certainly not going to get in trouble this time.

As to whether it is worth lodging a formal complaint regarding the incident. It really is up to you. From my perspective, if I were you, I wouldn't bother, as one I have far too many important things in my life worthy of my attention to worry about something like this, and two I seriously doubt that Northern's subcontractors are at all bothered about the reputation of their staff, as long as they prove to be cost effective for Northern. It is highly likely that this will just be brushed aside and an insincere apology issued, and even if an investigation is carried out, the guy will likely just deny it, and there is not very much that can be done unless his colleague backs up your story, the chance of which happening being slim to none. In my opinion it will just be a waste of time complaining about this incident.

On the other hand, this behaviour is clearly unacceptable, and if you complain, it may be recorded in that employee's file, so it could play a part in the future possibly in deciding whether disciplinary actions may be appropriate. Also if it really bothers you, then feel free to complain, and do whatever makes you feel better, because your own wellbeing is the most important thing to you.

Whichever option you choose, there is no right or wrong answer. Do what you are happiest with. In addition, you may have technically been in the wrong, but it is hardly something worthy of losing sleep over and you certainly shouldn't feel guilty about breaking your journey at Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.