• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GA 321 short forming

Status
Not open for further replies.

EssexGonzo

As I'm about to take my 4th reduced-to-8-coaches 321 in 24 hours, it got me wondering...

If it is down to flats due to adhesion issue, on average roughly how long would a set need to spend on the workshop?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Depends on how big the queue is to get something onto the wheel lathe. At this time of year that can be a long wait.

Also if a wheel has flats that are too big or the wheels have been reprofiled too many times it will need either new tyres or new wheelsets which will be a longer stay.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To add to that a single vehicle will only take maybe a few hours or a morning to do. So a 321 is probably a few days to do.

Established Member
Trouble is that when there is a shortage of units, certain diagrams are favourite for not being covered as perhaps they only do one trip. Not much comfort if that is your usual train though.

With GA about to be awash with units, hopefully short formed trains will become increasingly rare.

MP33

My train was reduced to four coaches this evening. It appears to me that due to the weather, the problems are less than previous years and later. Will the rail treatment extend into January? What will happen when the network is out of use for Christmas engineering work?

Status
Not open for further replies.