• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gaining Experience and Getting Hired???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedbird01

Hello everyone... I have searched and done some investigating and perhaps I'm not asking the right questions or looking for the appropriate information.

All the train companies advertise "Qualified" and "Experienced" drivers wanted when they start recruiting.
Is the only way to get qualified and experienced by getting hired as a trainee driver at one of the said companies or are there other ways of accomplishing that???

I live over in the US but I am desperate to come home to England to live and work.

Thanks in advance ladies and Gentlemen!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
The only way that counts is to start as a trainee driver, get qualified and then get some experience.

There are no short cuts available.

Speedbird01

I appreciate the information. Thanks...

I hope i didnt come across incorrectly, I wasn't implying shortcuts per say. I am a currently an Airline pilot in the US and there are different avenues to becoming an Airline pilot. I wanted to make sure the "Hired as a trainee" was the best and most advantageous route to the goal of driver.

Thanks again

Established Member
Transferable skills are what HR departments look for, so in your case there are a great deal of skills that are common across both the aviation and railway industries.

The problem on one hand is that in the UK many railway companies insist that when you apply for a vacancy, you must live within a specified area of the depot where you will be based.

Speedbird01

The only way that counts is to start as a trainee driver, get qualified and then get some experience.

There are no short cuts available.

Transferable skills are what HR departments look for, so in your case there are a great deal of skills that are common across both the aviation and railway industries.

The problem on one hand is that in the UK many railway companies insist that when you apply for a vacancy, you must live within a specified area of the depot where you will be based.

Good point. Ill be sure to keep that in mind when i do my research and applying... if any trainee positions ever show up! :D

I don't have any problem with living where in based. Ive been commuting for work for a long time and living where i work really has appeal. anywhere in the UK, or England, Scotland or Wales (Born in Cardiff!!) is fine with me!

8J

Some TOC's like you to go in as a guard/conductor first, but others like Northern do take on for trainee drivers. It will be quite difficult with your location as they are very strict on the travel time to the depot for obvious SC reasons. I wish you all the best!

jamess115

I have all intentions of living wherever any given TOC would like me to be based.
Ill admit the logistics of trying to explain that to them as I currently live in the US will be difficult

I understand your predicament. I also worked as a Pilot in the States and it is hard if not impossible for companies to look at you seriously when you are not in the same country let alone local. By far your best option, in my opinion, is to come back home and try and obtain work in the railway industry in any capacity. There is a lot of synergy between being a Pilot and Train driver and you will have the added bonus of working in the field. Good Luck.

redbutton

My 2p is that you will be completely unsuccessful in applying for trainee driver jobs from abroad. There's just too much local competition. Theoretically (though unlikely in practice), you could apply for a job, do all the assessments, medical, interviews, and be hired within a few weeks. Could you organize a transatlantic move in that time?

Even you could, most people couldn't, so the TOCs won't bother progressing your application beyond initial screening.

Clip

Established Member
You are always welcome to join us in another role and then get a slight heads up for trainee driver roles become available - always looking for willing people to work on the railway - its not all about driving you know ;)

Speedbird01

I understand your predicament. I also worked as a Pilot in the States and it is hard if not impossible for companies to look at you seriously when you are not in the same country let alone local. By far your best option, in my opinion, is to come back home and try and obtain work in the railway industry in any capacity. There is a lot of synergy between being a Pilot and Train driver and you will have the added bonus of working in the field. Good Luck.

I did and do realize that, I'm going to try my best and hope for a touch of luck although I'm not expecting much. Ive been flying over here for 15 years and have become very disillusioned with the state of affairs here in this industry. That and I really want to come home!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My 2p is that you will be completely unsuccessful in applying for trainee driver jobs from abroad. There's just too much local competition. Theoretically (though unlikely in practice), you could apply for a job, do all the assessments, medical, interviews, and be hired within a few weeks. Could you organize a transatlantic move in that time?

Even you could, most people couldn't, so the TOCs won't bother progressing your application beyond initial screening.

You echo jamess115 sentiments, and I do appreciate your honesty. Have to try though. I Know Im probably going to have to move back home and apply from the UK to ALL the TOC's, then move again to become a local of whichever one finds it appropriate to hopefully hire me.
You are always welcome to join us in another role and then get a slight heads up for trainee driver roles become available - always looking for willing people to work on the railway - its not all about driving you know ;)

Haha... Oh I have no objections to that at all... after being the transport field my whole life there is no way I'd overlook that. I just couldn't do a desk job at this point in my life!!

jamess115

Aviation can be quite unforgiving unless you get a lucky break, however I was surprised to hear that you are disillusioned in the States. I don't know what stage you are at in your career but from what I remember the opportunities to get onto the jets over there is much accelerated compared with Europe. (ie. build Total Time as FI and then apply to the regionals). As you will be aware, here you HAVE to obtain a Type Rating and then find a further £40K for time on type with no salary and no final contract. However, if you have been flying for 15 years, you will probably be quite a seasoned aviator!

Whatever you decide I wish you well, but keep in mind that when you do pass the rail assessment process, you will likely go into a pool before being sourced for a job. However, I wouldn't change the decision I have made.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
The best advice would be to move back to the UK (if that is what you want) and only rent accommodation as you will need to live within 1 hour of the depot you are applying to. By doing this you can then tell the interview panel that you have rented and are flexible to live anywhere in the country to accommodate your job as you have the means to buy (if you do of course)

Speedbird01

The best advice would be to move back to the UK (if that is what you want) and only rent accommodation as you will need to live within 1 hour of the depot you are applying to. By doing this you can then tell the interview panel that you have rented and are flexible to live anywhere in the country to accommodate your job as you have the means to buy (if you do of course)

That's what I am probably going to end up doing. That's a good idea.
Aviation can be quite unforgiving unless you get a lucky break, however I was surprised to hear that you are disillusioned in the States. I don't know what stage you are at in your career but from what I remember the opportunities to get onto the jets over there is much accelerated compared with Europe. (ie. build Total Time as FI and then apply to the regionals). As you will be aware, here you HAVE to obtain a Type Rating and then find a further £40K for time on type with no salary and no final contract. However, if you have been flying for 15 years, you will probably be quite a seasoned aviator!

Whatever you decide I wish you well, but keep in mind that when you do pass the rail assessment process, you will likely go into a pool before being sourced for a job. However, I wouldn't change the decision I have made.

I appreciate your info. I've been flying 15 years with about 10,000 hours of which 90% of it is airline transport airplanes. I'm typed on the B1900, Dash 8, Embraer 170/190 and B737
The job market is getting better over here but there are so many of us all trying to get the same jobs that it is a battle and will take a long time in my opinion. I do know the airline industry over there in the UK is more complicated, and there aren't as many jobs but I'm hoping my experience will help a bit more than it has in the US
If I can get hired as a pilot in the UK that would be great, but if I can't then my second love would be to drive trains in my home country! I'm going to try and see what happens, and I do know the selection process is a long and tough road.

Status
Not open for further replies.