• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Garage use?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Mention of garage space in another thread just prompted the realisation that almost everyone I know who has (or had) a garage, doesn't actually use it to store their car. I know people who use(d) their garages as workshops, gyms, model railway spaces, laundry/utility rooms and general storage spaces... but only one person who uses their garage to store their (now classic) car!

Do you have a garage? If so, what do you use it as? Anything more inventive than the examples listed above? I'd be surprised if more than half of the garages of forum members are actually used to park a car in!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Bigger, wider, cars often mean that they no longer fit inside garages that were built several years ago.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I use mine to keep one of my cars in, with various stuff carefully arranged so it will fit.

PeterC

Established Member
Bigger, wider, cars often mean that they no longer fit inside garages that were built several years ago.
Even with older cars they were often a pretty tight fit. I could barely get out of the car at the house I owned 35 years ago.

You can see a lot of pre war houses with garages apparently intended for an Austin 7

MotCO

Established Member
I do use my garage to park my car! I tend to keep my cars for around 10 years, so try to protect them from the elements (rain and sun).
I have also just built it - the old one literally fell down, and will use it as a storage area, overflow freezer, lawn mower etc.

Ted633

No garage for me, but that's probably a good thing as it would either of been filled with a classic car or a much expanded model railway!

ChrisC

Established Member
I used to have a free standing garage at the back of the house but I got rid of it around 20 years ago. It was quite a large garage which I could easily get my car into and with quite a big space at the back for garden tools etc.
It was amazing how much larger my garden appeared without it and I replaced it with a small garden shed and had my lawn extended slightly. It also exposed more of the lovely old stone wall at the bottom of my garden and gave better views into the field beyond. I now keep my car on the drive at the side of the house.

jfollows

Established Member
My dad and a neighbour of similar age in a similar house religiously parked their cars in their garages. I did so in my house in Clanfield in 1987. Since moving into my parents house in 2008 I never park my car in the garage because it’s become a storage room for things that don’t mind the temperature. It needs a clear out but won’t be used for a car even if there is space freed up. I don’t think today’s cars benefit from garage parking much; the only winter benefit is avoiding de-icing them on cold mornings. I have space in front of the house for two cars if I’m careful, but the one car we now have is an easy fit.

My current garage is integral to the house.

DelW

Established Member
In the latter half of the last century, my parents always put their car away in the garage, even when they were still working and it was used every day. I don't think I know anyone else who has ever done so though!

I've never owned a house with a garage so I've never had the option. I think most people use their vehicle too frequently to be bothered with garaging it each time.

As alluded to above, modern cars are much better rust-proofed than those of decades ago - it's rare now to see a visibly rusty car even at fifteen years old or more, whereas it used to be commonplace much earlier than that.

david1212

Established Member
I have a garage and my car is normally in it when at home. Also in the garage is a cupboard for tools, shelves for storage, the ladders hung on the wall and in the eaves timber supported by additional wood strips put up when we moved in. Nearby only one other household uses their garage for one of their everyday cars.
Directly I have no interest with what others do. The problem is when a household has more cars than they have off-road space for. At times I wonder if a fire engine would get through. If only visitors used the road / half on road & half on pavement then access would be much better.

A consideration when shortlisting my current car was the width. Generally with the trend to SUV's and EV's width is constantly increasing.
I recall several years ago on a journey following a (new generation) Mini Clubman (the estate) of the first generation then one of the second generation and realising how much wider it was. Wikipedia states 1684mm for the former and 1801mm for the latter. The width of the original mini is given as 1410mm .....

By the MK3 a Ford Cortina saloon was 1701mm wide and 4341mm long. A 3rd generation (2010–2018) Focus is 1823mm wide and 4358mm long. A MK1 VW Golf is given as 1610mm wide and 3705 mm long. A sixth generation Polo is given as 1751mm wide and 4,053–4,067 mm long.

deltic

Established Member
The problem is when a household has more cars than they have off-road space for. At times I wonder if a fire engine would get through. If only visitors used the road / half on road & half on pavement then access would be much better.
Not for pedestrians it isn't. Pavements are for pedestrians not cars.

Ostrich

A few years back, I started to garage our car overnight following an increasing trend of catalytic converter thefts in the area. The garage is just about big enough to house the car and a permanent load of storage boxes down one side of it - I have to be a bit careful driving the car in, mind!

For years I parked my big car, the wife’s Smart car in our double garage. But I also had the small space behind the Smart car as a workshop. Now it if just a workshop.

jon81uk

Car is in the garage and there is enough room at the back for the shed stuff (BBQ, mower etc) and an extra freezer for the raw cat food. But even though we have a house built three years ago a Mini car only just fits, the garage should have been designed wider. At least we have a drive big enough for two cars in addition to the garage.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Car is in the garage and there is enough room at the back for the shed stuff (BBQ, mower etc) and an extra freezer for the raw cat food. But even though we have a house built three years ago a Mini car only just fits, the garage should have been designed wider. At least we have a drive big enough for two cars in addition to the garage.
As mentioned upthread, Minis aren't very "mini" any longer- it's just a brand. When I was looking at cars a few weeks ago I was surprised to see that the Mini Clubman was wider than a Volvo V50.

Is there some sort of planning or tax reason for keeping one's garage as a garage (with appropriate doors etc) as opposed to converting it officially into a shed, outhouse or storeroom? Is the retention of a typical garage door purely an aesthetic choice? For example years ago my uncle used his garage as a model train room, and the doorway was blocked off with drywall from the inside... from the front of the house however, the garage looked normal with the typical metal door in place. Bricking it up would have made the house look very odd!

Enthusiast

I wonder if the UK is alone where people leave their £35k new car out in the street and store two hundred quid's worth of old furniture and a washing machine in their garage.

jon81uk

As mentioned upthread, Minis aren't very "mini" any longer- it's just a brand
Yes, but the standard Mini (not Countryman or similar) is still one of the smaller cars available, in line with a Fiesta and similar.

I wonder if the UK is alone where people leave their £35k new car out in the street and store two hundred quid's worth of old furniture and a washing machine in their garage.
Depends if other countries have garages wide enough to allow a car in through the door.

Bertone

We are quite fortunate in having a double length (“tandem”) garage so either the wife’s Polo or my T Roc goes in quite nicely with a good lot of space at the back for storage, fridge freezer, tumble dryer etc plus room for the model railway, albeit that’s folded up against a side wall.

gg1

Established Member
We only have half a garage, the back half is now a utility room, front half is general storage with a breezeblock wall diving the two halves.

Most of our immediate neighbours still have a full size garage but the only one I've ever seen who actually uses his garage for it's intended purpose owns a classic car, for everyone else it's an overgrown shed/workshop/store.

MasterSpenny

I used to have a garage until 2020, when my family got it demolished and replaced with a work room. As a garage, it wasn’t used for car storage but it was used for storing another transport mode: bikes, alongside other things, such as old items that got replaced.

(The car may have been stored in there at one point, but I don’t remember that being the case)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
My mum puts her 2009 Fiesta in the garage, which we had built in the late-90s to modern car (at the time) standards. Most average cars can fit in hers. I don't have a garage where I am at the moment.

The exile

Established Member
Even with older cars they were often a pretty tight fit. I could barely get out of the car at the house I owned 35 years ago.

You can see a lot of pre war houses with garages apparently intended for an Austin 7
If I were to try to park in my parents’ garage I could - but I’d have to stay in the car until I wanted to leave. A 1939 vintage “motor house” (according to the deeds) no longer cuts the mustard. I have about an inch clearance either side on the (original) gates to the driveway. Original gateposts at least - I guess the original gates went for scrap within their first year of existence!

StKeverne1497

Perhaps I'm generalising, but my own gut feeling seems to agree with many of the posters above. Many houses have been built with garages too small to fit most modern cars. Mother-in-law's was an odd exception; the garage could just squeeze in a smallish modern car, but the driveway alongside the house was narrower than the garage at the rear! Our house - originally built in the late 1960s - had a garage which would just about take our (old style) Kangoo (it was not used for storage at that time), but only if you reversed in, as the door would not close over the high back, and only if you parked off-centre to allow the driver's door to open (alternatively you could have climbed into the rear seat and used a sliding door I suppose). I think it's only in the last ten years or so that this problem is beginning to go away - perhaps council planning departments are getting wise.

When we rebuilt our house (to add a couple of bedrooms) one of the conditions of planning consent was that we provided room to park three cars off road. Although the garage would have counted, in reality we would never use it for parking, and it was only just possible to park two smallish cars in front of the closed garage door, so we demolished the garage, extending the parking space slightly behind where the rear of the garage used to be and now have enough space for three cars, one of which is a 7-seat Berlingo.

Totally agree on not using the pavement for parking. It's not only inconvenient for pushchairs, people with limited vision and wheelchair users but can actually be dangerous if people have to - or choose to because of a bottleneck - walk in the road to get past. Of course, many new developments would also have been granted planning permission conditional on being able to park two or three cars off road and have short driveways and small garages meaning that in most practical circumstances there's only room for one, and if it's not used for storage it seems to be very common to convert a garage - particularly one which is built in to the house - into a study or a playroom or (depending on layout) a kitchen extension. Occasionally you do see these partitioned up with the garage door being retained for a half-length (or shorter) garage which is used to store bikes and / or gardening tools.

On the other hand, I know someone who has just bought a house on a new development which not only has a garage big enough for two normal cars side-by-side (but it's also used as storage so realistically only one) but because they are on an end-plot in a cul-de-sac they have enough space on the drive to stack four, maybe five cars, or to use part of the drive to avoid having to reverse on to the road. It can be done!

Speed43125

On the other hand, I know someone who has just bought a house on a new development which not only has a garage big enough for two normal cars side-by-side (but it's also used as storage so realistically only one) but because they are on an end-plot in a cul-de-sac they have enough space on the drive to stack four, maybe five cars, or to use part of the drive to avoid having to reverse on to the road. It can be done!
Was this development in Arizona by any chance? :D
Can't think of anywhere I know in the UK where we have a big garage and large drive for off road parking.

JohnMcL7

My garage is built into the house but it's not designed for cars as at one point when it was cleared out I was curious if it could fit my little Rover Metro in it, the car could just fit but you couldn't even open the doors it was that tight. Having said that even if it could fit a car it wouldn't have one stored in it as it's a lot of useful space to waste on a car.

Howardh

Established Member
I have a garage which can take two cars easily, it has an inspection chamber plus a work bench and all sorts of other stuff a handy person could use. I've often been asked if I could rent the space out so they could use it to repair their own car etc, but the electricity supply is a basic 240v, so welding might be out, but more importantly I'm worried about the insurance implications should something go wrong. Also renting it out by the hour might classify it as a "business" as far as my home is concerned - not allowed.

If a mate wanted to change his oil, and slip me a tenner, I suppose that's not a problem, but if I were to rent the space out regularly then ???

Also thought of allowing it to be used for storage, but then again insurance and change to business use. So there's a lot of space not being used, which is a shame.

Trackman

Established Member
I have a garage which can take two cars easily, it has an inspection chamber plus a work bench and all sorts of other stuff a handy person could use. I've often been asked if I could rent the space out so they could use it to repair their own car etc, but the electricity supply is a basic 240v, so welding might be out, but more importantly I'm worried about the insurance implications should something go wrong. Also renting it out by the hour might classify it as a "business" as far as my home is concerned - not allowed.

If a mate wanted to change his oil, and slip me a tenner, I suppose that's not a problem, but if I were to rent the space out regularly then ???

Also thought of allowing it to be used for storage, but then again insurance and change to business use. So there's a lot of space not being used, which is a shame.
My old house (built around 1970) had an inspection pit, so I guess there any still a few knocking around.
I don't think they would be allowed these days.

birchesgreen

Established Member
My old house (built around 1970) had an inspection pit, so I guess there any still a few knocking around.
I don't think they would be allowed these days.
My ex-colleague had one too, he used to do a lot of maintenance on his car too so it came in useful. I'm glad i don't have one, i can guarantee i'd fall down it at least once a month.