• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Airport to Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Par

Will be travelling from Gatwick to Manchester on Tuesday 27th September. Lots of "Advance" options for 3 adults (with Railcards) at £50.55 from 10.00 am onwards. But ideally we would wish to get an afternoon train from Euston at about 3pm, (having left Gatwick at 10.00 am). I presume this isn't possible on the £50.55 ticket, so what are our best options?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Do you mean that you wish to break your journey in central London?

If you do, my advice would be to book the relevant trains from London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly, and make sure you are there in sufficient time. You then have a choice, you may obtain Oyster cards for everyone and have your railcard discount added to them (assuming it's not a Two Together or Family railcard) for an Oyster fare on a Southern service to London Victoria, or a train to some other London station. The Oyster single on all trains but the 'Gatwick Express' route is £5.30 after railcard discount.

Can anyone say if Gatwick Airport can process Oyster transactions to get the railcard discount added? Is it possible to buy a new Oyster card there? If you do not wish to use Oyster you can opt for a Gatwick Airport to London St Pancras Anytime Day Single, route Not Underground for £6.80 with railcard. You may then break your journey without question at London Bridge or Blackfriars, Farringdon, City Thameslink or go all the way to St Pancras. You could also travel via Clapham Junction to London Waterloo, from where you may use the walking interchange to Blackfriars. Validity at other London Terminals is likely, but may be somewhat disputed locally.

Last edited:

Par

Yes, break of journey in central London. I'll look at the Railcard discounted ticket from Gatwick to St Pancras, then wander up to Euston for left luggage.

The whole thing will still only be £61.95, which is absolutely fine.

Thanks

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Regarding left luggage, it's ~50% cheaper (£5 v £10-£12) to use the storage facilities at Victoria Coach Station, 2 mins walk from Victoria Railway Station. If you choose the Oyster option into Vic then I recommend leaving your luggage in the coach station there. Of course, if that doesn't suit your plans on the day then it's still useful to know in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.