• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB Station extremities- highest, lowest etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

theironroad

Established Member
Just wanted to see if my understanding is right on this:

All apply to mainline and Great Britain mainland stations.

Highest elevation: Corrour
Lowest elevation: Shippea Hill ????

Most Northerly: Thurso
Most Easterly: Lowestoft
Most Southerly: Penzance
Most Westerly: Arisaig

In the absence of a US style Death Valley location, is the Cambridgeshire Fenland station of Shippea Hill the lowest elevation one or am I misinformed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Regarding the lowest station, if we disregard deep-level underground stations in Liverpool and London I always thought Dundee was the lowest "surface" station, being slightly below sea-level.

theironroad

Established Member
Regarding the lowest station, if we disregard deep-level underground stations in Liverpool and London I always thought Dundee was the lowest "surface" station, being slightly below sea-level.

Yeah, think I was wondering about natural surface level rather than engineered.

Interesting about Dundee, though for now I'll stick with Shippea which is coming up as +7 feet and Dundee +13 feet on this map:

AM9

Veteran Member
There are probably a few in London that aren't 'deep-level underground' stations that sit below sea level. If we count SSL stations where daylight is directly or even indirectly visible*, then we can include stations near the river, e.g. Becton Park (-2m DLR), Cyprus (-2m DLR), South Kensington (-1m District and Circle), Rotherhithe (-7m LO), there were others like Westminster District and Circle) but they have been built over in recent years.
* Indirectly in where daylight falls on the track or any part of the platform.

waverley47

Dundee is indeed in a cutting below ground level. The north end of the platforms slope down into the dock street tunnel, which has a track heigh minimum of something like 20ft below the ground level. Wether the station sits below sea level itself is probably a matter for an accurate surveyor, but the given height of +13ft would be for the station building.

If I remember correctly, one of the three Welsh stations on the marshes might be up there for the lowest ground level. Fairbourne, Morfa Mawddach and Borth all sit perilously close to sea level, and Fairbourne being the first place in Britain to be essentially surrendered to the sea might mean it's in with a shot.

Obviously City Thameslink is probably the closest mainline station in central London to sea level, but as mentioned up thread, discounting the central London underground stations.

waverley47

The Somerset levels, Dee estuary, morcambe bay and Yorkshire fens must collectively have a few that are quite close, but I think Dundee is definitley the only one with a chance of being under the magic datum line.

alistairlees

Established Member
The Somerset levels, Dee estuary, morcambe bay and Yorkshire fens must collectively have a few that are quite close, but I think Dundee is definitley the only one with a chance of being under the magic datum line.
Apart from Rotherhithe and Wapping, both of which are served by London Overground trains and are part of the National Rail network.

etr221

The most westerly is an interesting question, as it depends how you measure westernness: Arisaig (NM663868) is 5.84 deg W, but has a national grid co-ordinate of 166300 m E; whereas Penzance (SW475306) is 5.53 deg W, but 147500 m E on the national grid.

So by line of longitude its Arisaig, by grid co-ordinates, Penzance.

As to the question of height (for highest and lowest), what is the relevant point you are considering: track level, platform level, station entrance, natural ground level, or even subway or overbridge levels...

And then you have the question of scope - by 'mainline' do you mean "Network Rail" or "National Rail"? As track owner or ??? - says he wondering about Moorgate or Old Street GNC platforms.

waverley47

So by line of longitude its Arisaig, by grid co-ordinates, Penzance.

Given that accurate latitude and longitude measurements (to minutes and seconds) weren't implemented until quite some time after both stations had been built, that probably resulted in the situation where Penzance had been the westernmost station for some time, until the title was usurped by the upstart arisaig!

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Given that accurate latitude and longitude measurements (to minutes and seconds) weren't implemented until quite some time after both stations had been built, that probably resulted in the situation where Penzance had been the easternmost station for some time, until the title was usurped by the upstart corrour!
Easternmost? Surely not! ;)

And Corrour isn't either!

broadgage

Nunhead in south east London is said to be the highest station in London, It has an island platform and from the down side a panoramic view across much of London.
From the up side the view is less extensive but does include the former broadgage towers.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Dundee is indeed in a cutting below ground level. The north end of the platforms slope down into the dock street tunnel, which has a track heigh minimum of something like 20ft below the ground level. Wether the station sits below sea level itself is probably a matter for an accurate surveyor, but the given height of +13ft would be for the station building.

If I remember correctly, one of the three Welsh stations on the marshes might be up there for the lowest ground level. Fairbourne, Morfa Mawddach and Borth all sit perilously close to sea level, and Fairbourne being the first place in Britain to be essentially surrendered to the sea might mean it's in with a shot.

Obviously City Thameslink is probably the closest mainline station in central London to sea level, but as mentioned up thread, discounting the central London underground stations.

From OS maps,
Fairbourne is less than 12 metres ASL
Morfa Mawddach, between the 12 and 34 metres contour.
Tonfanau, less than 8 metres.
Aberdovey, seems lower than I thought at around 5 mtr.
Dovey Junct, less than 5mtr.
Borth, has a spot height nearby at 3 mtr.

steamybrian

Established Member
Nunhead in south east London is said to be the highest station in London, It has an island platform and from the down side a panoramic view across much of London.
From the up side the view is less extensive but does include the former broadgage towers.

I would have thought that there were other stations in London at a higher altitude such as Forest Hill or Crystal Palace. Particularly the latter as the long disused branch from Nunhead to Crystal Palace (HL) was on a steady uphill gradient for much of its length.

Veteran Member
I would have thought that there were other stations in London at a higher altitude such as Forest Hill or Crystal Palace. Particularly the latter as the long disused branch from Nunhead to Crystal Palace (HL) was on a steady uphill gradient for much of its length.
The view from Nunhead is impressive but a quick look at contours suggests it is somewhere around 40m asl, Crystal Palace (LL) just below 80m, with stations on the Brighton line, Sydenham Hill and possibly Penge E in between.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There are probably a few in London that aren't 'deep-level underground' stations that sit below sea level. If we count SSL stations where daylight is directly or even indirectly visible*, then we can include stations near the river, e.g. Becton Park (-2m DLR), Cyprus (-2m DLR), South Kensington (-1m District and Circle), Rotherhithe (-7m LO), there were others like Westminster District and Circle) but they have been built over in recent years.
* Indirectly in where daylight falls on the track or any part of the platform.

Cutty Sark DLR must be pretty low, plus Woolwich Crossrail station perhaps.

The view from Nunhead is impressive but a quick look at contours suggests it is somewhere around 40m asl, Crystal Palace (LL) just below 80m, with stations on the Brighton line, Sydenham Hill and possibly Penge E in between.

Banstead/Belmont must be pretty high too?

waverley47

Argyle street is definitely below sea level same with Glasgow Central low level

Queen Street low level definitley isn't, the station sits up the hill quite some height from the Clyde, and the lower level platforms sit just below the upper level, indeed you can see the girders supporting the upper tracks. Central low level I concede, but it would be interesting to see if it does sit that far below see level, given the banks of the Clyde themselves are quite hefty.

Given the op's request for no underground stations, that discounts the ELL, Argyll and North Clyde underground stations. Dundee sits in an enlarged cutting, so I guess that's up to the op to decide. I reckon Borth or Shippe Hill must have it between them in that case for natural, at ground level stations.

Veteran Member
Banstead/Belmont must be pretty high too?
Yes, but the real climbers are the Tattenham Corner branch from Coulsdon Town and the Oxted line from Sanderstead, with the Caterham branch from Kenley and the SE main line from Petts Wood also beating Crystal Palace (the first station I list is around the 80m contour in each case).

unlevel42

Broomfleet and Saltmarsh are on land at about 3m above sea level on the OS map. Rawcliffe is about 4m.
The nearest spot height to Gilberdyke is 2m.

alistairlees

Established Member
The OP in post #3 ruled out “engineered” underground stations, referring to natural levels.
Ok. That would rule out Dundee too, to which I was responding.

Manea is close to 1m spot height, though is on the lower side of the 0m countour line on 1:25,000 OS maps

Last edited:

bspahh

Established Member

etr221

Wondering about some of the harbour/sea side stations: Kyle of Lochalsh, Wemyss Bay, Heysham, Dawlish, Portsmouth Harbour, to name a few... A fair number of the Southern Coastway stations - from Portsmouth east to Romney Marsh are down there, too.

The bottom line seems to be that there quite a few stations that are less than 2 or 3m above ODN (sealevel), and at ground level. Enough for decimetres to matter!

Looking at Shippea Hill on Google streetview the railway seems to a slight embankment there... not much, but probably enough to get it above ODN.

Status
Not open for further replies.